Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: lol, you guys can't help yourselves, can you?

Topic: Omnibus Sexual Misconduct Sticky Thread (Read 680 times) previous topic - next topic

Omnibus Sexual Misconduct Sticky Thread
At some point I thought admins might want to consolidate the several threads about specific individuals. So instead of starting a thread with Louis CK in the title, I used a much more general title.

So, Louis CK is the first one to own the accusations against him without any spin, apologizing directly, by name, to the women who had accused him and to the people affected by the delay or cancellation of projects he was involved with. He seemed to understand the scope of the damage he caused. Then he ended with a promise to shut up and step back for a "long time." There's not any "good" choices when confronted publicly with accusations one knows are true, but he probably made the "best" choice he could have, today. Of course, he could have issued an apology some time ago, before it was about to be made public. But maybe not. The kind of person who could come clean about a misdeed without any external pressure doesn't seem to be the kind who would ask women who worked for him to look at his dick.

• MSG
Re: Omnibus Sexual Misconduct Sticky Thread
Reply #1
braying among the ruins

Reply #2
Dicks are strange creatures.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• gib
  • Global Moderator
Reply #3
Quote from: Jerome
As liquid urine is denser than the atmosphere, why yes. The urine stream from Putin's penis splashing on Trump's sphincter is easily described with buoyancy, no need for the magical force that no one can explain what it is.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #4
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• gib
  • Global Moderator
Reply #5
Alternative view

plus the fact his shitty apology doesn't even contain the word 'sorry', only talks about 'taking his dick out' and also expects us to believe he jerked off in front of only 5 women:

These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was okay because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn't a question. It's a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly.

I have been remorseful of my actions. And I've tried to learn from them. And run from them. Now I'm aware of the extent of the impact of my actions. I learned yesterday the extent to which I left these women who admired me feeling badly about themselves and cautious around other men who would never have put them in that position.

I also took advantage of the fact that I was widely admired in my and their community, which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried because people who look up to me didn't want to hear it. I didn't think that I was doing any of that because my position allowed me not to think about it.

There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with.

I wish I had reacted to their admiration of me by being a good example to them as a man and given them some guidance as a comedian, including because I admired their work.

The hardest regret to live with is what you've done to hurt someone else. And I can hardly wrap my head around the scope of hurt I brought on them. I'd be remiss to exclude the hurt that I've brought on people who I work with and have worked with who's [sic] professional and personal lives have been impacted by all of this, including projects currently in production: the cast and crew of 'Better Things,' 'Baskets,' 'The Cops,' 'One Mississippi,' and 'I Love You Daddy.' I deeply regret that this has brought negative attention to my manager Dave Becky who only tried to mediate a situation that I caused. I've brought anguish and hardship to the people at FX who have given me so much The Orchard who took a chance on my movie and every other entity that has bet on me through the years.

I've brought pain to my family, my friends, my children and their mother. I have spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want. I will now step back and take a long time to listen.

Thank you for reading."

P.S. I am wanking as I write this.

As liquid urine is denser than the atmosphere, why yes. The urine stream from Putin's penis splashing on Trump's sphincter is easily described with buoyancy, no need for the magical force that no one can explain what it is.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtLDgsg_SaQ

One has to wonder what sort of animal is so ashamed of its normal facial hair it has to parody its failure to remove such in a daily ritual of scraping their skin with a sharp piece of something.

Are we there yet?

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #7
Look at this stupid shit:

How many of these assholes were FUCKING MARRIED when they did what they did?

Not to mention, there are places in the world where sex outside of marriage is literally criminalized, but golly gee there are still plenty of men harassing, abusing, and raping women! Amazing! And the same shit happened back in the "good old days" when premarital sex was frowned upon. It's almost as if religion can't fucking stop garbage people from engaging in shitty, abusive behavior.

Reply #8
It's a pretty new idea that having power means you need to avoid making sexual advances. I mean, what makes the life of a rock star so glamorous is basically that they get unlimited sexual opportunity.. I think the older idea was that that is a perq of power and a reason to try to attain it. 

Dicks are strange creatures

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #9
its u

ur the strange dick

Reply #10
I see what you did there.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #11
Look at your adorable little man brain working hard. :awgee:

Reply #12
I see what you did there

Reply #13
Richard Dreyfuss
George Takei

[ohmy_voice]'You need to relax. I am just trying to make you comfortable. Get comfortable.'[/ohmy_voice]

Reply #14

• gib
  • Global Moderator
Reply #15

Reply #16

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #17
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #18
Jeffrey Tambor Exits 'Transparent' After Sexual Harassment Allegations
While a stunner on one level, this move by Golden Globe winner Tambor comes as the show itself was seemingly gearing up to shuffle him off the show.

As Deadline was first to report on November 14, since the first allegation against Tambor was made by his former assistant and transgender actress Van Barnes earlier this month, there have been discussions about writing the actor's transgender Maura character out of the show for the upcoming fifth season. With a tiny bit of wiggle room for what may be legal reasons, it seems today that Jeffrey Tambor just made those talks a reality for the writers' room.

Even before the first claims, Tambor's option for a Season 5 had not actually been picked up, sources tell Deadline. Amazon is currently investigation both allegations and has been speaking to Soloway, members of the production and Tambor. Neither Amazon nor Soloway could be reached by Deadline for a response to Tambor's announcement

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #19
lol now we know why Glenn Thrush quit Twitter, though he probably should've just deactivated his account without making a big deal out of it:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/20/16678094/glenn-thrush-new-york-times

Three young women I interviewed, including the young woman who met Thrush in June, described to me a range of similar experiences, from unwanted groping and kissing to wet kisses out of nowhere to hazy sexual encounters that played out under the influence of alcohol. Each woman described feeling differently about these experiences: scared, violated, ashamed, weirded out. I was -- and am -- angry.

Details of their stories suggest a pattern. All of the women were in their 20s at the time. They were relatively early in their careers compared to Thrush, who was the kind of seasoned journalist who would be good to know. At an event with alcohol, he made advances. Afterward, they (as I did) thought it best to stay on good terms with Thrush, whatever their feelings.

On that night five years ago, I joined Thrush and a handful of other reporters for a few rounds at the Continental, a Politico hangout in Rosslyn, Virginia. At first, nothing seemed strange, until the crowd had dwindled down to Thrush, me, and one other female colleague.

Thrush tossed a $20 bill at her and told her to take a cab and leave us, "the grown-ups," alone. He slid into my side of the booth, blocking me in. I was wearing a skirt, and he put his hand on my thigh. He started kissing me. I pulled myself together and got out of there, shoving him on my way out.

In the morning, Thrush sent me an apologetic email. I didn't save it, but I recall it as similar to the one he would later send to PadrĂ³ Ocasio's friend in June. He said he was sorry, but he didn't say for what, exactly.

Gradually, things in the office started to change for me. Certain men in the newsroom, I thought, started to look at me differently. Some of their comments seemed a bit too familiar or were outright offensive. I had a nagging sense that I just wasn't as respected as I used to be.

I started to think maybe I shouldn't be in journalism if I couldn't hang in a tough newsroom. I found myself on edge, nervous and anxious all the time. I started to believe I had brought this all on myself.

In the course of reporting this story, I was told by a male reporter who'd worked at Politico at the time that my instinct was right. He said that the day after that night at the bar, Thrush told him about the incident, except with the roles reversed. I had come onto him, the reporter said Thrush told him, and he had gently shut it down.

For those keeping score at home, basically, if men openly talk about women in disparaging terms or dismiss harassment or abuse, that's a warning sign that they're a piece of shit, and you should stay away from them. If men openly talk about supporting women and acknowledge the struggles they face, they may also be a piece of shit, and you should stay away from them. Also if you're ever afraid or if you have any issues trusting men, you're a crazy fucking bitch.

Reply #20
"Glenn Thrush, thank god, that's not a Jewish name"

*checks wikipedia*

fffffuuuuu

Reply #21
As a Jewish man, I really do not know what to make of this. Like 90% of the accused men so far are Jews. I dunno if it just happens to be that there are a lot of powerful Jewish men in the media and this is just a product of whichever men are in power will be shitbags or what, but I honestly can't help but feel there's something fucked up about this.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #22
As a Jewish man, I really do not know what to make of this. Like 90% of the accused men so far are Jews. I dunno if it just happens to be that there are a lot of powerful Jewish men in the media and this is just a product of whichever men are in power will be shitbags or what, but I honestly can't help but feel there's something fucked up about this.

I suspect the first is the reality. Lots of powerful Jewish men in media, and that goes back to a few generations of probable community nepotism, where sons and sons-in-law were more likely to be aware of the industry, more likely to think they could work in it, and perhaps got a little help from relatives in the industry. This happens everywhere - the railroads used to be very good well paid jobs in this province, but you wouldn't get hired if you weren't related to or married into a family that was already established with the company. Half the local fishermen are either named 'Babcock' or are married to a 'Babcock', or their grandparent wa a 'Babcock'.

OTOH, my mother was really uncomfortable when I started dating a Jewish guy. I was appalled, since I didn't think she had those kinds of prejudices, but it turned out the boy's father had gotten my mother's cousin pregnant in 1935 and had abandoned her, so it was a 'sins of the father' prejudice, not his Jewishness. Maybe older Jewish guys have habitually been a little more careless with young gentile women, seeing as their mothers didn't want them to marry those girls. Prejudice flows in many directions and from many cultural founts.

Reply #23
As a Jewish man, I really do not know what to make of this. Like 90% of the accused men so far are Jews.

Oh for fuck's sake.

Reply #24

I suspect the first is the reality. Lots of powerful Jewish men in media, and that goes back to a few generations of probable community nepotism, where sons and sons-in-law were more likely to be aware of the industry, more likely to think they could work in it, and perhaps got a little help from relatives in the industry. This happens everywhere - the railroads used to be very good well paid jobs in this province, but you wouldn't get hired if you weren't related to or married into a family that was already established with the company. Half the local fishermen are either named 'Babcock' or are married to a 'Babcock', or their grandparent wa a 'Babcock'.

OTOH, my mother was really uncomfortable when I started dating a Jewish guy. I was appalled, since I didn't think she had those kinds of prejudices, but it turned out the boy's father had gotten my mother's cousin pregnant in 1935 and had abandoned her, so it was a 'sins of the father' prejudice, not his Jewishness. Maybe older Jewish guys have habitually been a little more careless with young gentile women, seeing as their mothers didn't want them to marry those girls. Prejudice flows in many directions and from many cultural founts.

Yes, the fact that your mom judged an entire ethnic group on the actions of one man was not at all due to bigotry, I'm sure.