Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: :golfclap:

Topic: Omnibus Sexual Misconduct Sticky Thread (Read 789 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Omnibus Sexual Misconduct Sticky Thread
Reply #25
I'd imagine it's predominantly Jewish men because Jewish men are demographically over represented in the Hollywood power structure and Hollywood is still one of the most insular and unaccountable industries out there. There's just way too much fear of reprisal for rando underling to go to HR and file a complaint.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #26
As a Jewish man, I really do not know what to make of this. Like 90% of the accused men so far are Jews. I dunno if it just happens to be that there are a lot of powerful Jewish men in the media and this is just a product of whichever men are in power will be shitbags or what, but I honestly can't help but feel there's something fucked up about this.

I suspect the first is the reality. Lots of powerful Jewish men in media, and that goes back to a few generations of probable community nepotism, where sons and sons-in-law were more likely to be aware of the industry, more likely to think they could work in it, and perhaps got a little help from relatives in the industry. This happens everywhere - the railroads used to be very good well paid jobs in this province, but you wouldn't get hired if you weren't related to or married into a family that was already established with the company. Half the local fishermen are either named 'Babcock' or are married to a 'Babcock', or their grandparent wa a 'Babcock'.

OTOH, my mother was really uncomfortable when I started dating a Jewish guy. I was appalled, since I didn't think she had those kinds of prejudices, but it turned out the boy's father had gotten my mother's cousin pregnant in 1935 and had abandoned her, so it was a 'sins of the father' prejudice, not his Jewishness. Maybe older Jewish guys have habitually been a little more careless with young gentile women, seeing as their mothers didn't want them to marry those girls. Prejudice flows in many directions and from many cultural founts.

Yes, the fact that your mom judged an entire ethnic group on the actions of one man was not at all due to bigotry, I'm sure.

Way to completely misread what I wrote. She judged one man's son on the actions of his father, not on the basis of his ethnicity or religion, dumbass. She was fine with the other Jewish guys I dated later. One of them was even American.  :awgee:

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #27
I'd imagine it's predominantly Jewish men because Jewish men are demographically over represented in the Hollywood power structure and Hollywood is still one of the most insular and unaccountable industries out there. There's just way too much fear of reprisal for rando underling to go to HR and file a complaint.

also no one gives a shit or hears about it when men in other industries are exposed

Reply #28
As a Jewish man, I really do not know what to make of this. Like 90% of the accused men so far are Jews. I dunno if it just happens to be that there are a lot of powerful Jewish men in the media and this is just a product of whichever men are in power will be shitbags or what, but I honestly can't help but feel there's something fucked up about this.

I suspect the first is the reality. Lots of powerful Jewish men in media, and that goes back to a few generations of probable community nepotism, where sons and sons-in-law were more likely to be aware of the industry, more likely to think they could work in it, and perhaps got a little help from relatives in the industry. This happens everywhere - the railroads used to be very good well paid jobs in this province, but you wouldn't get hired if you weren't related to or married into a family that was already established with the company. Half the local fishermen are either named 'Babcock' or are married to a 'Babcock', or their grandparent wa a 'Babcock'.

OTOH, my mother was really uncomfortable when I started dating a Jewish guy. I was appalled, since I didn't think she had those kinds of prejudices, but it turned out the boy's father had gotten my mother's cousin pregnant in 1935 and had abandoned her, so it was a 'sins of the father' prejudice, not his Jewishness. Maybe older Jewish guys have habitually been a little more careless with young gentile women, seeing as their mothers didn't want them to marry those girls. Prejudice flows in many directions and from many cultural founts.

Yes, the fact that your mom judged an entire ethnic group on the actions of one man was not at all due to bigotry, I'm sure.

Way to completely misread what I wrote. She judged one man's son on the actions of his father, not on the basis of his ethnicity or religion, dumbass. She was fine with the other Jewish guys I dated later. One of them was even American.  :awgee:

You wrote:

OTOH, my mother was really uncomfortable when I started dating a Jewish guy.

So maybe your mom was blaming the son for the father's behavior, but in context of the rest of the shit you say afterwards and the fact that you bring this up every single time there's a discussion about antisemitism, I'm not really convinced that this is all as innocuous as you make it out to be. Especially your conclusion that this one incident where a man did not marry a woman is indicative of some deeper cultural problem of Jewish men not respecting white women because we're all momma's boys.

I'm just going to let you think about what you've said here.

Reply #29
Teeth gonna teeth.

Reply #30

also no one gives a shit or hears about it when men in other industries are exposed

This is the part that maybe explains this but I'm still wondering where the accusations of various heads of industry are, and why the accusations against editors and journalists have also been almost ubiquitously against Jewish men as well. Again, it's a weird place to be when you're a Jew. I'm looking at this and both thinking in borealis-fashion "oh my god, are the antisemites right and we're a bunch of perverts who can't control ourselves" and also wondering whether there might be something more complex going on organically (e.g. questionable interactions with Jewish men are viewed as more emotionally harmful than questionable interactions with WASP men) or something else entirely given that Roger Stone seems to know all about these things before they break.

I dunno, but it really is disconcerting.

Reply #31
I'm also not questioning any of the accusations. Just saying this has some weird overlap with historical racist stereotypes and that this is disconcerting.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #32
I keep thinking back to Schroedinger's rapist and how angry lots of dudes got about that piece.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #33
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand Charlie Rose:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/eight-women-say-charlie-rose-sexually-harassed-them--with-nudity-groping-and-lewd-calls/2017/11/20/9b168de8-caec-11e7-8321-481fd63f174d_story.html

Eight women have told The Washington Post that longtime television host Charlie Rose made unwanted sexual advances toward them, including lewd phone calls, walking around naked in their presence, or groping their breasts, buttocks or genital areas.

The women were employees or aspired to work for Rose at the "Charlie Rose" show from the late 1990s to as recently as 2011. They ranged in age from 21 to 37 at the time of the alleged encounters. Rose, 75, whose show airs on PBS, also co-hosts "CBS This Morning" and is a contributing correspondent for "60 Minutes."

There are striking commonalities in the accounts of the women, each of whom described their interactions with Rose in multiple interviews with The Post. For all of the women, reporters interviewed friends, colleagues or family members who said the women had confided in them about aspects of the incidents. Three of the eight spoke on the record.

I wonder who tomorrow's shitbag is going to be!

Reply #34

Reply #35
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand Charlie Rose:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/eight-women-say-charlie-rose-sexually-harassed-them--with-nudity-groping-and-lewd-calls/2017/11/20/9b168de8-caec-11e7-8321-481fd63f174d_story.html

Eight women have told The Washington Post that longtime television host Charlie Rose made unwanted sexual advances toward them, including lewd phone calls, walking around naked in their presence, or groping their breasts, buttocks or genital areas.

The women were employees or aspired to work for Rose at the "Charlie Rose" show from the late 1990s to as recently as 2011. They ranged in age from 21 to 37 at the time of the alleged encounters. Rose, 75, whose show airs on PBS, also co-hosts "CBS This Morning" and is a contributing correspondent for "60 Minutes."

There are striking commonalities in the accounts of the women, each of whom described their interactions with Rose in multiple interviews with The Post. For all of the women, reporters interviewed friends, colleagues or family members who said the women had confided in them about aspects of the incidents. Three of the eight spoke on the record.

I wonder who tomorrow's shitbag is going to be!

Also jeffrey Tambor

• nesb
Reply #36
Hey teeth

http://squid314.livejournal.com/329171.html

Feminism is a memeplex that provides a bunch of pattern-matching opportunities where a man is in the wrong and a woman is in the right. To give a very personal example, I mentioned a few days ago how I was close friends with a woman until I asked her out and she then decided to have a fit and cut off all contact with me. Normally everyone would agree I was in the right and try to console me and maybe even her own friends would tell her she was overreacting. But thanks to feminism she has a superweapon - she can accuse me of being a Nice Guy (TM) and therefore Worse Than Hitler (TM). The appropriate cliche having been conveniently provided, enough people decide to round to the nearest cliche and decide that I am in the wrong that the incident raises her status and decreases my own.

I'm pretty sure feminism has nothing to do with this guy being ghosted.

Reply #37

You wrote:

OTOH, my mother was really uncomfortable when I started dating a Jewish guy.

So maybe your mom was blaming the son for the father's behavior, but in context of the rest of the shit you say afterwards and the fact that you bring this up every single time there's a discussion about antisemitism, I'm not really convinced that this is all as innocuous as you make it out to be. Especially your conclusion that this one incident where a man did not marry a woman is indicative of some deeper cultural problem of Jewish men not respecting white women because we're all momma's boys.

I'm just going to let you think about what you've said here.
Teeth, sometimes a cigar is really a dick but not very often.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #38
let's see if the allegations against charlie rose go away when it's clarified that he isn't jewish

• MikeS
Reply #39
let's see if the allegations against charlie rose go away when it's clarified that he isn't jewish
Nope, he just got fired from CBS at noon today.

He reminds me of the Stephen Fry character from V for Vendetta.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #40

Reply #41
we might end up needing blanket amnesty and a truth and reconciliation commission, S. Africa style. Jesus christ.

• Spode
  • I'm sorry.
Reply #42
we might end up needing blanket amnesty and a truth and reconciliation commission, S. Africa style. Jesus christ.

What we need is a guillotine on the National Mall, French Revolution style.

Reply #43

What we need is a guillotine on the National Mall, French Revolution style.
That too.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #44
Here's a nobody getting some press:

Reminded me of a grad student who got arrested when I was in college. My roommate and I used to refer to him as Mr. Mittens:

https://nypost.com/2005/04/07/princeton-student-a-math-whiz/

eta in retrospect some really weird bizarro shit went down at Princeton back in the day

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #45
he calculated that that was the optimal way to win their hearts

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #46
Also jeffrey Tambor

Dammit, I liked that guy.

I'm a big fan of Marcia Gay Harden and when she and Tambor played a couple in Meet Joe Black I thought it was the sweetest thing, the two of them together, like cookies and milk. Now that's fucking ruined.  :whyyou:

In other news ...

"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #47
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #49
:staregonk:
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins