Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: Park your obsessive internet addiction here.

Topic: Congress and Sexual Harassment (Read 954 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Congress and Sexual Harassment
Reply #25
I'd still like to see that handled by the ethics investigation rather than a simple resignation. There needs to be a general system of accountability that applies to both Rs and Ds. If Dems resign when they do something shitty but Republicans just hold on and do nothing, accusations will become entrenched as a partisan tool to purge democrats.
Yeah, resignation is fine (at least it gets him out of office), but I still want a formal investigation.  You don't get to just "Bye!" your way out of it.  Also criminal charges for fuck's sake!
In Franken's case there are either no charges to press or his victims aren't interested in pressing charges. Which is their perogative.
Why do I bother?

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #26
John Conyers previously settled a wrongful dismissal case involving sexual harassment: https://www.buzzfeed.com/paulmcleod/she-complained-that-a-powerful-congressman-harassed-her

• MSG
Reply #27
braying among the ruins

Reply #28
John Conyers previously settled a wrongful dismissal case involving sexual harassment: https://www.buzzfeed.com/paulmcleod/she-complained-that-a-powerful-congressman-harassed-her

e documents were first provided to BuzzFeed News by Mike Cernovich, the men's rights figure turned pro-Trump media activist who propagated a number of false conspiracy theories including the "Pizzagate" conspiracy.

IOW, what we're seeing is a targeted release of documents associated with Democrats by Trumpists.

Reply #29
I gotta wonder who feeds someone like Cernovich any sort of documents in the first place. He did play it smart by giving the documents to another 3rd party for verification rather than promoting it himself.

Conyers is flatly denying having any settlement, for whatever that's worth.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #30
that would be a dumb lie to tell, since proving the existence of the settlement would be pretty easy.  maybe he is super confident it would stay confidential (even after word of it got out?).  or maybe there was no settlement.

Reply #31

• el jefe
Reply #32
weird.

I mean, it would explain conyers' flat denial if the thing did happen. 

but for them to not even be notified that it happened?  that seems really crazy

Reply #33
who the fuck knows what goes on with Congress's super special taxpayer funded sexual harassment process

I'm still really annoyed that this is helping to legitimize a Pizzagate insane moron like Cernovich

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #34
I'm sure a literal admitted rapist and abuser like Mike Cernovich deeply cares about going after aexual harassers.

Reply #35
:hmmm:

Reply #36
you think Conyers ever ordered a pizza?

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot
Reply #37
In Franken's case there are either no charges to press or his victims aren't interested in pressing charges. Which is their perogative.
I'm starting to think that maybe the victims shouldn't be required for criminal charges.
Just because you're unique doesn't mean you're useful.

Reply #38
With Franken, I doubt there are criminal charges beyond a misdemeanor. There's a reason that those sorts of charges are up to the victim.

Reply #39
I'm starting to think that maybe the victims shouldn't be required for criminal charges.
Technically they're not. Victims don't actually "press charges." DA's do. But if a victim/main witness is unwilling to cooperate then it makes the case much more difficult to prosecute. In this specific case with Franken, provided the statute of limitations hasn't expired, conceivably they might still be able to prosecute because of the photographic evidence.

Reply #40
So an account linked to the Conyers leak may be a Russian trollbot:

https://thinkprogress.org/tennessee-republican-fake-account-8aedaa7592f6/

Interestingly, Conyers has been one of the strongest advocates of the Russia investigation, along with a certain Senator Al Franken.

Reply #41
So an account linked to the Conyers leak may be a Russian trollbot:

https://thinkprogress.org/tennessee-republican-fake-account-8aedaa7592f6/

Interestingly, Conyers has been one of the strongest advocates of the Russia investigation, along with a certain Senator Al Franken.

Buzzfeed verified the documents and Conyers response-and-retraction "oh I meant some other sexual harassment case I don't know about" reaction was pretty fucking bad.

Reply #42
yeah again, I don't doubt that this is real. But it's certainly interesting that somehow this information was being distributed by alt-right Trumpists before the storybroke.

• el jefe
Reply #43
even so, at most what you have there is the same kind of conspiracy distraction that moore's defenders are using.  allowing that the allegations may be true, but trying to make the conversation about the people bringing them to light.  it is maybe worth paying attention to, but probably not as important as the allegations themselves.

Reply #44
Not really because I'm not saying don't prosecute it. I'm saying that the current system is not doing its job and better non-partisan enforcement tools need to be established. I'm also saying that a shame-and-resignation informal system will not work when one party has no shame and is willing to endorse a pedophile to push forward tax cuts and healthcare repeal. Furthermore, the shame-and-resignation system PLUS the hiding-behind-settlements system is ripe for political gaming.

In other words, the Weinstein approach is not sustainable in the long term. We need to build a better system, and we need that system to be robust to political gaming, racism, and so on. Otherwise, this will be weaponized by people who are seeking to exploit the left against itself.

Reply #45
liberals are fucking wild: https://democracyguardian.com/al-franken-the-obvious-setup-and-liberals-took-the-bait-5f3515d379a0

(note, the "liberals" i am referring to are people who'd post shit like this.)

Reply #46
just wait until it turns out one of his accusers talked to someone who has a russian accent!!

Reply #47
Time to bring back eunuchs.

• el jefe
Reply #48
Time to bring back eunuchs.
oh sure, like this is all the mens' fault

how about women start taking some responsibility and completely cover up their dangerous attractiveness that makes men unaccountable for their actions?

• el jefe
Reply #49
wahhabism is the light