Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Do you feel threatened by my ideas?

Topic: Goddamnit Al (Read 1184 times) previous topic - next topic

• Pingu
Re: Goddamnit Al
Reply #100
(especially if Jones wins in Alabama which is at toss-up right now).
We'll see, but my guess is that Moore will win by a "surprisingly" comfortable margin.
Based on the suspicion that a significant number of people responding to polls are ashamed to admit that child-molesting bothers them less than democrats do.

That's my guess too :(

But Northam was a nice surprise.  Results from toss-up elections can be quite striking in both directions.   :dogpipe:
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #101
i don't think northam was a surprise.  iirc, polls showed him winning by a small but consistent margin.  also, i believe democrats have won every statewide election in VA since 2005, with the exception of mcdonnell winning governor in 2009.  va is a blue state now.

though it was a surprise at least in that he won by a bigger margin than he was supposed to

Reply #102
We're now looking at 3 seats the Republicans now stand to gain (Conyers and Kihuen in the House, Franken in the Senate)

Lol, why does anyone reply to this moron?

• Pingu
Reply #103
i don't think northam was a surprise.  iirc, polls showed him winning by a small but consistent margin.  also, i believe democrats have won every statewide election in VA since 2005, with the exception of mcdonnell winning governor in 2009.  va is a blue state now.

though it was a surprise at least in that he won by a bigger margin than he was supposed to
exactly. SMALL. And we'll within a normal polling error.  But he won by nine points?
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #104
Well... wrt Alabama and the Democratic Party:

Yet Democrats treat blacks in the South like stepchildren from a previous marriage: They'll have us over for weekends and election holidays, smile and act nice, but they don't really do shit for us. They treat the new kids better. The white ones.
Say what you will about the toothless dimwits who buy "Make America Great Again" hats, but they are getting almost everything they wanted. Trump is rounding up immigrants, normalizing white supremacy, reinstituting the war on drugs, trying his damnedest to keep Muslims out of the country, and he's still on that bullshit about the wall.
Democrats, on the other hand? Trash.
Black voters are the base of the Democratic Party, and we're still waiting for Dems to fix the wage gap and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. They aren't going to listen because they never do. They pocket black votes and black dollars, and take them back to the national party to spend in districts where they know they're going to win.

https://www.theroot.com/a-racist-flyer-might-cost-doug-jones-the-election-becau-1821065764

Reply #105
The issue isn't one of cynicism vs idealism. The issue is that Democrats are willing to (rightfully) listen to women who make serious accusations of sexual harassment and rightfully understand that many of those actions do not leave clear evidence of wrongdoing. The Republicans are willing to believe that Democrats belonging to minority ethnic/racial groups are sexual predators because they are steeped in racism, but they're also not really willing to believe women qua women. There is a dangerous interplay here between gender and race and Democrats are going to lose because Democrats actually care about doing right. The only way to avoid that eventuality is for Democrats to patiently push for a binding nonpartisan investigatory committee. Impatience on the part of the Democrats makes this impossible, and the Republicans are going to continue to exploit that weakness.

Not believing these kind of accusations is one dimension of it, but another is that Republicans just don't give a fuck. Most of the Republican leadership knows quite well that Roy Moore is guilty of all the things he's being accused of, and probably a lot of his supporters do too, but it doesn't matter. It's a structural disadvantage born of the fact that only one side cares about ethics.
also, the conservative bubble is extremely good at denial or distracting itself with whataboutism.  I suspect that in many cases it's not even that people think party/coalition/cause trumps ethics, it's that when they hear information that is bad for team red, they so quickly and reflexively either assume it's fake or turn their thoughts to something bad about democrats, that they don't even process it.  they don't even get to the part of the flowchart where they decide whether to apply their ethics to any republicans.

If I remember my history correctly, white conservative southerners cared a whole hell of a lot about believing women when it meant they had an excuse to lynch black men.

Conservatives conceptualize rape differently from how liberals do. That's the underlying issue here.

Reply #106
Well... wrt Alabama and the Democratic Party:

Yet Democrats treat blacks in the South like stepchildren from a previous marriage: They'll have us over for weekends and election holidays, smile and act nice, but they don't really do shit for us. They treat the new kids better. The white ones.
Say what you will about the toothless dimwits who buy "Make America Great Again" hats, but they are getting almost everything they wanted. Trump is rounding up immigrants, normalizing white supremacy, reinstituting the war on drugs, trying his damnedest to keep Muslims out of the country, and he's still on that bullshit about the wall.
Democrats, on the other hand? Trash.
Black voters are the base of the Democratic Party, and we're still waiting for Dems to fix the wage gap and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. They aren't going to listen because they never do. They pocket black votes and black dollars, and take them back to the national party to spend in districts where they know they're going to win.

https://www.theroot.com/a-racist-flyer-might-cost-doug-jones-the-election-becau-1821065764
Written by a Russian bot? They want the crazy in power.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #107
If Democrats can't win a statewide seat in Minnesota in 2018, we're beyond doomed, anyway.
Yeah, I skimmed some article earlier this morning that was trying to make the case that this could blow Democrats' chances at the senate next year, but really, it's hard to imagine a scenario where they would have won the senate except for Minnesota.

(Now watch that happen.)

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot
Reply #109
The point is you ask for a serious investigation, state that you will stand by the findings of the investigation, and demand bipartisan buy-in to the investigatory system. Once that investigation is completed, you then ask for the resignation. It's not that fucking hard.

Jumping the gun may seem "cleaner" but alt-right operatives are already turning this into a tool to get rid of anyone they don't want. Mike Cernovich is fucking laughing all the way to the bank here.
I really kinda hate it when I have to agree with teeth on something.  But yeah - this.
Just because you're unique doesn't mean you're useful.

• Y.B
Reply #110
Ouch!

Reply #111
:bwrv:

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot
Reply #112
Teeth, I think you're going to have to change your position here.  I'm finding it to be a reasonable and rational approach... which probably means you're fucked.
Just because you're unique doesn't mean you're useful.

Reply #113
You should take him out for a few drinks.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #115
Conservatives conceptualize rape differently from how liberals do. That's the underlying issue here.
No it is not you ignorant slut
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #116
The point is you ask for a serious investigation, state that you will stand by the findings of the investigation, and demand bipartisan buy-in to the investigatory system. Once that investigation is completed, you then ask for the resignation. It's not that fucking hard.

Jumping the gun may seem "cleaner" but alt-right operatives are already turning this into a tool to get rid of anyone they don't want. Mike Cernovich is fucking laughing all the way to the bank here.
I really kinda hate it when I have to agree with teeth on something.  But yeah - this.
I think this hurts teeth way more than it does you.

Reply #117
No it is not you ignorant slut

That's Slut, MSc, and soon to be Slut PhD, thank you very much