Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: Been there. OFFAL place to go!

Topic: Goddamnit Al (Read 1196 times) previous topic - next topic

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Re: Goddamnit Al
Reply #50
They've supported more than one sexual predator on the record. They don't give a fuck. The Republicans on the committees investigating the Russia business are also actively and openly trying to obstruct things and make it hyperpartisan. That is all these fucking people know how to do.

A dog and pony show over accusations isn't going to do dick to save democracy, and in the meantime, we'll have more sexual harassers and abusers serving in Congress. I want the Democrats to fucking clean up house regardless of what the GOP does because it's pretty clear that the Dems have no power or leverage to stop the kind of shameless selling out their esteemed colleagues are doing.

As for Conyers, the settlement was documented with affidavits that included witness testimony. That's enough for me to think he needs to fucking go even without a separate ethics investigation.

Reply #51
We wouldn't accept Democrats cozying up to Nazis if it meant more votes, and we shouldn't accept them shielding sexual harassment and assault.
Nah, Dems should shield anyone if it's necessary to execute left-wing political aims. Fuck Al Franken because he doesn't matter and it isn't necessary to protect him, but we shouldn't kid ourselves about the real stakes here. Individual wrongdoers and their victims don't matter at all compared to the hellscape of Republican control of policy.

Reply #52
from a pragmatic point of view, it's important that franken not be an albatross around the neck of the dem party by the time the 2018 campaigns heat up in earnest. the sooner they can move past him the better.

Reply #53
We wouldn't accept Democrats cozying up to Nazis if it meant more votes, and we shouldn't accept them shielding sexual harassment and assault.
Nah, Dems should shield anyone if it's necessary to execute left-wing political aims. Fuck Al Franken because he doesn't matter and it isn't necessary to protect him, but we shouldn't kid ourselves about the real stakes here. Individual wrongdoers and their victims don't matter at all compared to the hellscape of Republican control of policy.

but purging all men is a left-wing political aim  :hmm:

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #54

but purging all men is a left-wing political aim  :hmm:

wrong, it is not partisan. it is just the right thing to do.

Reply #55
As for Conyers, the settlement was documented with affidavits that included witness testimony. That's enough for me to think he needs to fucking go even without a separate ethics investigation.

But it would sure have been interesting to hear who else has been protected by these settlements, don't you think?

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #56
Why would that necessitate any one of these assholes actually staying in power?

Reply #57
Because "we are investigating the Conyers situation and we need to know how deep the rot goes" provides more leverage than "Conyers quit so let's pretend he's the only case that was settled"

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #58
I hoped he'd be Hillary's running mate :(
Hillary does not need to run again. She is too disliked.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #60

It seems strange that Leeann would don a helmet and flak jacket to take a nap in a jumpseat on this flight. They were traveling on a USO tour, not a combat mission. There was plenty of more comfortable seating in the aircraft, and no reason to put on that gear while sleeping, or while awake, except that she wanted to.

• linus
Reply #61
Dunno, the guy in the seat next to her appears to be taking a nap too. OTOH, he does it front of somebody else, with a camera-aware smile on his face so it does look like that instance was at least intended as a joke.

But there are multiple events and multiple victims, so I take it it's a waste of time to speculate about that particular photo.
  • Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:49:45 PM by linus

• Pingu
Reply #62
I hoped he'd be Hillary's running mate :(
Hillary does not need to run again. She is too disliked.

I meant last time.  Back when, Franken was who I hoped she'd pick.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #63
ah

Reply #64
Hey teeth re: Seder

Good, that was bullshit and legitimizing gorilla cum man is awful

Reply #65
Franken out, spent the first part of his speech calling his accusers liars. Good riddance.

Reply #66
Franken out, spent the first part of his speech calling his accusers liars.

wow.

Reply #67
But in responding to their claims, I also wanted to be respectful of that broader conversation. Because all women deserve to be heard and their experiences taken seriously. I think that was the right thing to do. I also think it gave some people the false impression that I was admitting to doing things that in fact I haven't done. Some of the allegations against me are simply not true. Others I remember very differently. I said at the outset that the ethics committee was the right venue for these allegations to be heard and investigated and evaluated on their merits. That I was prepared to cooperate fully and that I was confident in the outcome.

Not exactly calling all his accusers liars. If that was his MO, I don't see why he would have differentiated between incidents he remembers differently and accusations that were not true. 

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #68
not that it's the most important thing here, but I never even got past the fact that he's a comedian.  i think the lack of seriousness implied by electing him to the senate (and shit like half the cast of Predator getting elected as governors) partly helped open the door to trump.  a random, unqualified celebrity for public office?  sure, why not?  nothing matters!

• Pingu
Reply #69
not that it's the most important thing here, but I never even got past the fact that he's a comedian.  i think the lack of seriousness implied by electing him to the senate (and shit like half the cast of Predator getting elected as governors) partly helped open the door to trump.  a random, unqualified celebrity for public office?  sure, why not?  nothing matters!

I don't think that lack of seriousness was implied by electing him to office.  At least that's not the impression I got from his biography.  Quite the opposite.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #70
But in responding to their claims, I also wanted to be respectful of that broader conversation. Because all women deserve to be heard and their experiences taken seriously. I think that was the right thing to do. I also think it gave some people the false impression that I was admitting to doing things that in fact I haven't done. Some of the allegations against me are simply not true. Others I remember very differently. I said at the outset that the ethics committee was the right venue for these allegations to be heard and investigated and evaluated on their merits. That I was prepared to cooperate fully and that I was confident in the outcome.

Not exactly calling all his accusers liars. If that was his MO, I don't see why he would have differentiated between incidents he remembers differently and accusations that were not true. 

So he flatly accused some of them of being liars and was "charitable" to the others in saying that they're just not remembering correctly.

Why are you defending this piece of shit?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #71
  a random, unqualified celebrity for public office?  sure, why not?  nothing matters!
                             :blanksay:

"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #72
lol, oh yeah

Reply #73

So he flatly accused some of them of being liars and was "charitable" to the others in saying that they're just not remembering correctly.

Why are you defending this piece of shit?

I'm not defending anyone. I want to see an actual investigation of the allegations before we start pushing Democrat incumbents out of vulnerable seats based on hearsay. We're now looking at 3 seats the Republicans now stand to gain (Conyers and Kihuen in the House, Franken in the Senate) and possibly more if additional accusations come out. Given how high the stakes are, we need to take seriously the possibility that some accusations may be political ploys.

But I mean, fuck it, whatever, go for catharsis because we're all fucked anyways.

Reply #74
But I mean, I dunno, I'm just gonna look past the fact that the three Democrats that are being pushed out are a Black man, a Jewish man, and a Mexican man, while there has been no push from either side of the aisle to push Farenthold out and Roy Moore will be seated once elected.