Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Not buying the whole "poor discriminated against atheist" meme

Topic: Interstellar asteroid (Read 128 times) previous topic - next topic

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Interstellar asteroid

Re: Interstellar asteroid
Reply #1
I guess they're saving the name 'Rama' for the first one we rendezvous with?

• Faid
Reply #2
Soooooooo how's its light curve?
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

Reply #3
Nice.  Can't help but speculate that it's perhaps an irregular-shaped chunk of ejecta from some collision in its parent solar system which punted it free of the local gravitational well. Must be a large number of such wanderers out there.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #4
they should shoot something at it to see if it's made of antimatter.

• nesb
Reply #5
Even odds it's an alien spaceship.

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #6
Nice.  Can't help but speculate that it's perhaps an irregular-shaped chunk of ejecta from some collision in its parent solar system which punted it free of the local gravitational well. Must be a large number of such wanderers out there.

Normally I'd find that speculation agreeable but just recently I learned that all of that material hanging around out there is actually pieces of the Earth. These pieces were ejected after the tides pumped up the continents, like overfilling a shitty waterbed, until finally the planet's crustal sphincter blew it's collective pant-load and thrust all sorts of stuff into outer space during the global flood. All that stuff became the comets and asteroids. Turns out the Earth was like some gigantic extra-solar whoopee cushion.

Might even be some flash-frozen dinosaurs and whatever spinning wildly out of control out there, ready to thaw and BBQ. Can you imagine what you could charge for T-Rex T-Bones or some Stegosaurus Sirloins ?  Elon needs to get on this shit stat.

HTH

(h/t Pahu)
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

• Monad
Reply #7
Nice.  Can't help but speculate that it's perhaps an irregular-shaped chunk of ejecta

ie space shit

Reply #8
Soooooooo how's its light curve?

Light curve of interstellar asteroid `Oumuamua

I wonder how many news websites discovered a bug in their publishing systems' handling of the backtick character, thanks to this object's name?

Reply #9
It's all fun and astronomical science....until the missile bays open up and lock on.

• MikeS
Reply #10
Here's the origin of the name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFv-uc90-FM