• Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Why worry about extinction?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Re: Why worry about extinction?
Reply #1
I see the author is 29 years old.
Perhaps he will become wiser with age.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #2
worry about it??

at this point i welcome it!

Reply #3
I'm worried about the extinction of one species.
Homo sapiens.

Reply #4
I'm worried about the extinction of one species.
Homo sapiens.
To be fair, this would probably be the best thing that could happen for every other species.

• Pingu
Reply #5
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #6
Normally a PhD involves developing expertise. Pyron's did not.

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #7
Yeah he's been weirdly fast tracked folks seem to fall over him. I think he's a shameless self promoter personally, and his work mistakes expediency for quality. This OpEd is risible crap.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #8
How do you end up with so many publications so soon in your career? And how do you also write such an astoundingly terrible op-ed? And how does all of this garbage get fucking published?

Reply #9
His work is all plug-and-chug with open databases. So he's assembling huge phylogenetic trees but he's doing no work to move the field forward in a meaningful way and he's not actually generating those data himself. Because he is making the biggest trees, people who want to use those trees to do comparative analyses have been inviting him onto projects, and that's how you get that sort of publication record.

He also doesn't post on TR, which is honestly a huge productivity sink in the Bilirubin lab.

Reply #10
I think the underlying problem here is that you've got a person whose research has been "successful" for some definition of success because he treats every species as interchangeable parts that passively coast along subject to random extinctions. As soon as you take a more sophisticated approach, his work falls apart. So of course he thinks extinction doesn't matter, because in the scale he works, it doesn't.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #11
He also doesn't post on TR, which is honestly a huge productivity sink in the Bilirubin lab.

He couldn't handle TR.  :smugprof:

I think the underlying problem here is that you've got a person whose research has been "successful" for some definition of success because he treats every species as interchangeable parts that passively coast along subject to random extinctions. As soon as you take a more sophisticated approach, his work falls apart. So of course he thinks extinction doesn't matter, because in the scale he works, it doesn't.

tbh in my field, extinction means one less species to fucking learn a bunch of shit about, but our brains aren't broken so we're able to see why there's more to it than that.