Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: How it exactly works remains a physics brainteaser and the source of much debate in the scientific community.

Topic: Male and female brains wired differently, scans reveal (Read 229 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Male and female brains wired differently, scans reveal
Reply #25
Wow all CAPS. Poor Pingu.
But you folks started down this path - not me.
And you have company:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S016028960200137X

Rushton's work is generally dismissed as being agenda-driven and faulty.

Philippe Rushton, a psychology professor at the University of Western Ontario, has taken over the leadership of the Pioneer Fund following the recent death of its former administrator, Harry F. Weyher.

The Pioneer Fund was established in 1937 by the American white supremacist multimillionaire Wickliffe Draper and others who were supportive of Nazi race policies in Germany. The incorporation papers of the Fund states its policy to support the "procreation of the white colonial stock" and to finance research into "problems of race betterment" and "problems of heredity and eugenics in the human race."

One of the first actions of the Pioneer Fund was to pay for the distribution of a Nazi propaganda film, "Hereditary Defective" to high schools, colleges, and churches across the US. The film was produced by the Racial Political Office of the Nazi Party, and had been authorized directly by Adolf Hitler.

In the 1950s and 60s, the Fund aligned itself with white racist factions opposed to the desegregation of education. At the same time, Wickliffe Draper worked closely with the witch-hunting House Un-American Activities Committee, which was itself chaired by Pioneer Fund associate director, Francis E. Walter. In the Committee's interrogation of Paul Robeson, the famous African-American singer and Communist activist, Robeson asked Walter if he was trying to keep "decent people out of the country." Walter responded, "No, only your kind." Robeson said, "Colored people like myself." Walter again responded, "We are trying to make it easier to get rid of your kind, too."

Since the mid-1960s, Pioneer Fund money in the millions of dollars has bankrolled numerous racist and fascist psychologists - Rushton, Jensen, Cattell, Shuey, Eysenck, and many others - as well as William Shockley's scheme to pay African-Americans to have themselves "voluntarily" sterilized.

In the early 1970s, the Pioneer Fund paid the Foundation of Human Understanding to distribute hundreds of free copies of pamphlets by white supremacist psychologists Richard Herrnstein and Arthur Jensen to the registrars' offices of universities across the US in a blatant attempt to influence administration policies against the admittance of African-American students. This same tactic was employed in Canada in the late 1990s, when a Rushton pamphlet was mass-mailed to psychology and sociology professors across the country.

Rushton, referred to as "one of the most notorious race scientists in the world" by the Southern Poverty Law Center, has been a recipient of Pioneer Fund money for almost twenty years. In the year 2000 alone, tax records indicate that Rushton received $US 473,825 - approximately three-quarters of a million dollars in Canadian funds.

[source]

Rushton has advanced a specific evolutionary genetic rationale for how gene frequencies are differentiated between the `races' relative to intelligence. He claims that human racial differences result from natural selection for particular reproductive strategies in the various racial groups. Rushton's theory is based entirely on the concept of r- and K-selection, first explicitly outlined by MacArthur and Wilson in 1967. This article examines both the flaws in the general theory, and specifically Rushton's application of that same theory to human data. It concludes that neither Rushton's use of the theory nor the data that he has assembled could possibly test any meaningful hypotheses concerning human evolution and/or the distribution of genetic variation relating to reproductive strategies or `intelligence', however defined.

[source

Reply #26
From Pingu's reference:
In addition, we know very little about who the people were in the study. All we're told is what race they were, and this was significantly different for the males and females, so it's possible this also had an effect.

hmmm

Do you have a point?
He's predictably racist.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• socrates1
Reply #27
Poor Pingu. Starting to swear.
Always seems to come down to that. People show their true colors.

• Pingu
Reply #28
I know.  I wouldn't even have clicked on the thread if I'd noticed it was one of his.

But this "wired differently" thing really bugs me.  We are wired THE SAME.

There are probably SLIGHT differences in the MEAN connectivity between men and women in in certain networks, but that still doesn't tell us whether they are the RESULT or the CAUSE of different experiences in the two genders, which are, of course, vast.

And it doesn't matter anyway.  The means don't tell you how two individuals differ.  Small effect sizes are small.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• Pingu
Reply #29
Poor Pingu. Starting to swear.
Always seems to come down to that. People show their true colors.

Yup.

My true colours are that I am not interested in discussing racial issues with a racist. 

• socrates1
Reply #30
And you have company:

Folks here are getting really desperate. You brought up this topic - not me. Kind of silly to project racism on me.

• socrates1
Reply #31
So race can account for differences. According to Dorothy Bishop, bless her.
And apparently according to Pingu and VoxRat.
Dorthy Bishop, bless her, is saying brain function can differ by race. And apparently also according to Pingu and VoxRat.

No, she is not.

She is saying that it is a potential problem in the study that the gender groups weren't perfectly matched for ethnicity.

Not all heads are the same shape and size.  To compare brain images, therefore, they have to be "normalized" to a standard shape and size.  That process will be more accurate for someone whose brain shape and size is a good match to the template than for someone whose brain is a poor match.  If the template is made from mostly caucasian males, it will be a less good fit for women and a less good fit for non-caucasian participants.  Therefore you will get noisier data. 

Note that Pingu brought up the subject of brain size (and race) - not me.

• Pingu
Reply #32
YOU brought up the topic of different races having different brain function.

YOU were the one who said that Dorothy Bishop and I had both "confirmed" this.

YOU are lying through your racist teeth.

• socrates1
Reply #33
Poor Pingu. Trying to back away from what he/she posted.
Note that Pingu brought up the subject of brain size (and race) - not me.
  • Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 10:31:59 AM by socrates1

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #34
And you have company:

Folks here are getting really desperate. You brought up this topic - not me. Kind of silly to project racism on me.

Nothing silly about it. You are a racist. Why pretend you aren't? Own it. It's not as if we don't already know what kind of man you are. At least be honest about it.

• socrates1
Reply #35
And you have company:

Nothing silly about it. You are a racist. Why pretend you aren't? Own it. It's not as if we don't already know what kind of man you are. At least be honest about it.
borealis - tired of threatening me privately?
Just noticed this has been moved to Alternate Reality section.
Do you not get tired of bullying?
  • Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 10:58:31 AM by socrates1

Reply #36
Wow, so an addition to being a science-illliterate crackpot, Socrates is also sexist and racist. Good to know.

• socrates1
Reply #37
Time to move on.

Reply #38
That definitely seems advisable.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #39
And you have company:

borealis - tired of threatening me privately?
Just noticed this has been moved to Alternate Reality section.
Do you not get tired of bullying?

Really? After this, when I have to deal with you regarding site moderation, I'll do it publicly rather than attempting to protect your privacy, if that's what you want.

FYI, I didn't move this thread, but I approve of the decision.

Reply #40
Well it's no surprise to me that Doug is a disgusting racist.

Reply #41
And you have company:

The possibility that he does not know he is a racist should not be discounted. He is not very smart.
He used to be quite infatuated with the Great Chain of Being, where each type of being has its place on a scale.
I suspect he thinks that since there is no malice in discerning some humans as lower than others on the scale it cannot be racist.
He considered "The San are the children of the human family" to be completely unproblematic. After all, what's wrong with children? Children are nice, he likes children.
  • Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 12:49:06 PM by Saunt Taunga

Reply #42
Wow, so an addition to being a science-illliterate crackpot, Socrates is also sexist and racist. Good to know.
He's  been on mad meds for too long.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #43
He's  been on mad meds for too long.

"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

• Faid
Reply #44
Looks like Doug finally dropped his 'scholarly' act, and dedicated himself to being a full-time troll.

Oh well. Perhaps that's an improvement.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.