Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• i loled. and then i felt bad. basically, that's all i do on TR.

Topic: taxageddon is GO (Read 2850 times) previous topic - next topic

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Re: taxageddon is GO
Reply #50
The house has voted to go to conference committee

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/363227-house-approves-going-to-a-conference-committee-with-senate-on-tax-cut-bill

The freedom caucus raised some ruckus.

Some of the big differences

Shouldn't take long. :/

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #51
All the articles I can find so far are behind paywalls, but apparently the bill (accidentally?) eliminated the R&D tax credit (among some others) that corporations won't be excited to lose.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/12/senate-gop-accidentally-killed-all-corporate-tax-deductions.html

Reply #52
The house has voted to go to conference committee

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/363227-house-approves-going-to-a-conference-committee-with-senate-on-tax-cut-bill

The freedom caucus raised some ruckus.

Some of the big differences

Shouldn't take long. :/

i wouldn't count the ACA repeal out as a defining source of friction. and i suspect the devil is in the details. for example, my congressman is a tea party stooge but he's voted against this and will likely continue to because of SALT, possibly also because the house version more or less makes being a graduate student financially impossible and a university is the largest single site employer in his district. these things might be shed, but if you shed all such nickel and dime sources of cuts or revenue, then the whole bill starts to falter, the tax breaks can't continue to be as big, and some real hardcore death cultists get to grumbling.

i do think that if the GOP can get anything done, it's tax reform, but i don't think it will be easy for them.

Reply #53

Reply #54
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/09/four-takeaways-republican-tax-bill

Taxes are the "thunder of world history," wrote Joseph Schumpeter. "The spirit of a people ... is written in its fiscal history."

Last Saturday, Republicans in the US Senate joined their comrades in the House to write a new chapter in America's fiscal history.

Or did they?

Reply #55
It's like we're living back in the 1920's. Except instead of Al Capone being an outlaw gangster, his retarded son is President.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #56
given they only have 2 or 3 weeks before their senate margin drops from 3 votes to 2, the negotiators working on the tax bill have a newfound sense of urgency.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/13/tax-reform-deal-compromise-plan-294972

they're going to scramble and flail this mess across the finish line.

one dynamic I'm hoping will materialize is that jones' win gives more leverage to marginal senators now, even before Jones gets seated.  ...  if moore had won, mcconnell could have double crossed collins and passed the final bill with 50 votes + pence.  but now someone like johnson or flake can decide they want a sweeter deal, and withhold their vote until after Jones is seated and then ask for more.

Reply #57
mcconnell will refuse to seat jones until 2019, no one will stop him, trump will remain the focus of "constitutional crisis" worrying.

• linus
Reply #58
Rubio decided to vote against unless his demands are met. If I understand correctly, the next GOP to step up could hold the bill hostage.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #59
This is an interesting side effect of the Alabama Senate win.

The state income tax credit - back.  The medical expense deduction - back.  Now this.

Paul Ryan must be crying some bitter tears.

He had already decided to retire after 2018 apparently.  https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/12/14/paul-ryan-retire-speaker-ready-leave-washington-216103

• linus
Reply #60
Hah, GOP speaker is apparently not such a sweet gig. I wonder if he (still?) has his eyes set on running for president one day.

Reply #61
this could go a lot of places but i'm putting it here

Reply #62
Hah, GOP speaker is apparently not such a sweet gig. I wonder if he (still?) has his eyes set on running for president one day.

Probably part of the rationale for retiring in 2018.

• el jefe
Reply #63
Rubio decided to vote against unless his demands are met. If I understand correctly, the next GOP to step up could hold the bill hostage.
SWEET

• el jefe
Reply #64

people keep saying he has presidential ambitions, but I don't see it.  2016 would have been the perfect year for him to jump in, and he never showed the slightest interest.  my theory has been that he saw what presidential campaigns are like firsthand when he was romney's running mate and decided it was too brutal.  just not worth it.

I think if he's thinking about retiring after 2018, it's some combination of:
1) he expects the gop to lose the majority, so his tenure as speaker would be over anyway
2) under trump, the gop has gotten incompetent at achieving its goals, even with complete control of the government
3) trump is leading the gop in a direction he doesn't like, on several issues

• el jefe
Reply #65
another possible factor in any or all of this is heart issues.  heart disease runs in his family, and he is a fitness nut because of it.  but since there seems to be a genetic component, he may have had a doctor tell him recently that his heart is looking iffy, and can't handle much more of this speaker job and certainly not a presidential campaign.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #66
lol you think he has a heart

• el jefe
Reply #67
how can you say that when you know how much he cares about the wealthy and big business?

• el jefe
Reply #68
another difficulty for the tax bill is that mccain and cochran are both out for medical treatments.  they're both expected to be able to make it back for key votes, but stuff needs to be scheduled around them.  that further constrains an already difficult logjam the gop has to work through to pass the bill before Jones is seated.

Reply #69
this could go a lot of places but i'm putting it here

I saw that interview live this morning and that was such a dumb, Democratic answer.

Say some shit about the will of the voters, hell steal McConnell's language about the supreme court seat bullshit directly.

Decorum must be killed for the country to be saved.

Reply #70
decorum has already been killed and I'd hardly say that America is saved.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #71
another difficulty for the tax bill is that mccain and cochran are both out for medical treatments.  they're both expected to be able to make it back for key votes, but stuff needs to be scheduled around them.  that further constrains an already difficult logjam the gop has to work through to pass the bill before Jones is seated.

one of the previously unrecognized side benefits to gerontocracy

• el jefe
Reply #72
yabut it was a real headache for passage of the aca when both ted kennedy and Robert byrd dropped dead in the middle of it

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #73

people keep saying he has presidential ambitions, but I don't see it.  2016 would have been the perfect year for him to jump in, and he never showed the slightest interest.  my theory has been that he saw what presidential campaigns are like firsthand when he was romney's running mate and decided it was too brutal.  just not worth it.

I think if he's thinking about retiring after 2018, it's some combination of:
1) he expects the gop to lose the majority, so his tenure as speaker would be over anyway
2) under trump, the gop has gotten incompetent at achieving its goals, even with complete control of the government
3) trump is leading the gop in a direction he doesn't like, on several issues
No its because IRON STACHE

Reply #74