Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Monotremes. Srsly. How fucking transitional can you get?

Topic: Economics of "Saving Agriculture" (Thereby Saving the World) (Read 144876 times) previous topic - next topic

borealis, Pingu, superhoop, Trubble, VoxRat and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
  • Pingu
Re: Economics of "Saving Agriculture" (Thereby Saving the World)
Reply #27950
You know ...  Magic fairies, the children suddenly started eating salad every day at home, etc

there are many possible hypotheses :-)

Ha, your whole belief rests on magic, you utter puffoon.

His belief rests on cherry picking data and ignoring anything that contradicts his preferred conclusion.  Not surprising that he suspects scientists of doing the same.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #27951
An essential part of not sucking at science is the recognition of the role of reproducibility.
Every day all sorts of findings are reported in the scientific literature.
(Not to mention the not-so-scientific literature).
A lot of these are influenced by confirmation bias.
And a lot of them end up fading into oblivion.
If a particular finding is correct, and robust, it will be confirmed, sooner or later.
Sometimes directly: i.e. some other researcher sets out to literally reproduce the experiment, and see if they get the same results.
Sometimes indirectly: i.e. some other researcher conducts another experiment that depends on the original finding being correct and discovers that it isn't.
Sometimes it's just a question of consilience: does the finding dovetail with all the other findings relevant to the field, or is it the unexplained "exception to the rule"?

So far as I am aware, Price's conclusions wrt dental caries & nutrition have not held up by any of these criteria.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #27952
You know ...  Magic fairies, the children suddenly started eating salad every day at home, etc

His belief rests on cherry picking data and ignoring anything that contradicts his preferred conclusion.  Not surprising that he suspects scientists of doing the same.

Of course.  What Dave wants to be true, is true.  There cannot therefore be any evidence that contradicts it.  But I was talking about his wider god nonsense.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #27953
  I reposted them bc it seems that I recall people (you?) not noticing this secondary dentine in the pics ... i recall people saying "Bah .... i see temporary fillings but no secondary dentine.".
Is that what  you recall? 
It turns out a lot of what you "recall" is stuff you made up.
(And put in quotes.)
I suspect this is one of those cases.

Anyway, let's see what an actual dentist says about "secondary dentine" forming under fillings:

Quote from: OHSU;2473158
Quote from: JonF;2473155
"Case of girl who had forty-two cavities in twenty-four teeth. With the diet reinforced with activator X, the pulp chambers built in secondary dentin and all the teeth were saved". Full dentures had been recommended."

Ya, no idea what his "activator x" would be.

There is nothing magical there, though.  A little historical context:

Dentures used to be recommended for everyone, all the time.  Even people with modest decay.  (I'd be happy to give a brief history of that if anyone wants.  it's actually pretty interesting.)  When a dentist from the 1930's says "dentures had been recommended" it simply doesn't mean the same thing as when a dentist today says it.  When I was doing my community health residency, I regularly had patients who had cavities in all their teeth -- literally ALL OF THEM -- and I rarely recommended dentures.

Times have changed.  Now we do what Price did with that girl.  We put fillings in teeth, secondary dentin forms under our fillings, and we're able to save the teeth.

Dentists everywhere today do fillings instead of dentures.  Secondary dentin forms.  And teeth are saved.  And none of us puts our patients on a special diet, nor uses Price's "activator x".  Price can be applauded for restoring rather than extracting teeth.  But he didn't do anything magical that dentists today don't do.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #27954

No it doesn't. My belief rests on evidence.

Where's the evidence for that?
A walk through the ocean of most mens souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

• Faid
Reply #27955
What he reports is that a group of children, number unknown, were given an extra nourishing meal per day for five months, during which their teeth did not get worse and their saliva "improved".
Jesus.

THEIR TEETH ALSO IMPROVED YOU MORON!!  See Fig. 97 ... can you not see in this figure what Price describes?  Are you that blind?

After the nutrition was improved, the tissues of the pulp built in secondary dentine thus reincasing itself in a closed chamber.

You can see this secondary dentine in all three pictures, but it's most obvious in the one on the upper right, just under the temporary filling.
Dave, we've discussed the 'secondary dentine' thing ad nauseum in the other forum. The teeth were treated, fillings (temporary or not) were in place. And if the children had a vit D deficiency, supplementing that would have also helped.

That in no way shows that the problem with carbohydrates is only "displacement".

As any non-moron can understand.
What the X-rays show is that secondary dentine [sic] DID indeed form as a result of Price's diet changes.  I reposted them bc it seems that I recall people (you?) not noticing this secondary dentine in the pics ... i recall people saying "Bah .... i see temporary fillings but no secondary dentine.". So i want to make sure everyone sees it this time.
Like I said, the "secondary dentin" thing has been discussed extensively in the old forum. It is the meaning of secondary dentin that's the issue there, not whether one can see it (and yes, we did see it). It does not mean that the tooth "healed", as you once claimed. But the TREATMENT the teeth received, the cleaning and the temporary filling (with permanent ones to follow no doubt) did lead to an arrest of the caries. That, along with the improved diet (including vit D, perhaps), AND the decrease in daily carbohydrate intake which must have occured, certainly helped the children in their bodies' attempt to improve their condition.

And THAT IS THE POINT.

Again, google "confounding factors".

Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Faid
Reply #27956

As for the connection to carbs ...  I hope it's obvious that these children were eating a high percentage of refined carbohydrates in their diet before price did his experiment.
I don't think anyone claimed otherwise. What we don't know is how much they ate AFTER Price added an extra meal- And I'm talking quantity, not quality.

what is also obvious is that their teeth had indeed formed a secondary dentine later after prices diet changes.
AND after the likely carbohydrate reduction in their daily intake, AND the cleaning and filling of the teeth.

what is obvious to ME but apparently not to you, is that prices diet changes were THE CAUSE of the healed teeth.
On the contrary dave, I'm pretty sure the "diet changes" DID cause an improvement on the childrens' teeth. Although they didn't "heal" them. Since we agree there was a serious malnourishment issue, then FIXING that would certainly lead to improvement in all aspects of health that malnourishment affected!

Like you say, not rocket science.

Like I said from the start. Like you should know, IF you had bothered to read for comprehension.

but I'm open to suggestions of other possible causes. Feel free to suggest some ideas if you have any.
Dave, let me say it again: I have NO DOUBT that Price fixing the childrens' malnourishment helped in improving their health, dental or systemic.

That. Is. The. POINT. Because by fixing that, you are going to have an improvement either way. So that tells us NOTHING on whether excess carbohydrates by themselves cause health problems, or whether it's only by "displacing"!

How can you still not get what I'm saying?

Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Faid
Reply #27957
Jesus Christ you are an idiot.
Perhaps. But I'm not an arrogant idiot, who simply refuses to consider the possibility he's got something wrong.

The kids had horrible teeth. I hope that part is obvious to you.
Sure.

now the possible causes in play that I am aware of are...

1)  acid eating the teeth because the kids were eating refined carbohydrates - remedy - brush with toothpaste often

2) acid eating the teeth because of a LACK of body building / tooth protecting materials - remedy - fix their nutritional deficiencies

those are the two choices that I am aware of.
And you think that those two "choices" are mutually exclusive?

Can you explain why?

Price believed the latter, tested it, and his theory seems to be supported by the experiment. 

what part of this are you having trouble with?
The part that one does not exclude the other. As I keep telling you, this is NOT and "either/or" thing.

Those children had a KNOWN DIETARY DEFICIENCY. That WILL cause health issues, dental and systemic. ADDRESSING that deficiency WILL make the children better, especially if the teeth are treated as well.

So you have: Children that eat lots of sugar, and are very malnourished in other aspects. You fix the malnourushment, children get better.

That's it.

What does that result tell us? It tells us that malnourishment causes health issues- Which we already knew.

What does it NOT tell us? It does NOT tell us whether Carbohydrate Excess has a negative health effect on its own, and it does NOT thell us whether CE caused the deficiency in the first place.

THINK, dave.

Reply #27958
An essential part of not sucking at science is the recognition of the role of reproducibility.
If a particular finding is correct, and robust, it will be confirmed, sooner or later.
Sometimes directly: i.e. some other researcher sets out to literally reproduce the experiment, and see if they get the same results.
Sometimes indirectly: i.e. some other researcher conducts another experiment that depends on the original finding being correct and discovers that it isn't.
Sometimes it's just a question of consilience: does the finding dovetail with all the other findings relevant to the field, or is it the unexplained "exception to the rule"?

So far as I am aware, Price's conclusions wrt dental caries & nutrition have not held up by any of these criteria.
So far as you are aware, did anyone travel the world for 7 years as Price did, soon after Price did and try to reproduce his experiments?

Reply #27959
The British Empire had been bumbling round the world being racist at people for about 350 years before Price was born.
Why do I bother?

Reply #27960
Just for fun ... I googled "how to prevent cavities" ... here's the first entries I got ...

About 29,700,000 results (0.47 seconds)
Search Results
Cavity prevention starts at home. If you floss regularly, brush twice daily with a fluoride toothpaste and rinse with mouthwash, you can prevent tooth decay. A prescription fluoride rinse, such as Colgate® PreviDent®, can reduce cavities by 55 percent when it is used as a supplement to your oral care routine.
How to Prevent Cavities in Three Important Steps - Colgate
www.colgate.com/en/.../cavities/.../how-to-prevent-cavitites-in-three-important-steps-031...
Feedback
About this result
People also ask
Can you stop a cavity once it starts?
Can you reverse tooth decay?
How can we prevent cavity?
How can you fix a cavity without going to the dentist?
Feedback
The Tooth Decay Process: How to Reverse It and Avoid a Cavity
https://www.nidcr.nih.gov/OralHealth/OralHealthInformation/.../ToothDecayProcess.h...
Jul 1, 2016 - During the visit the dentist or hygienist will: Remove dental plaque. Check for any areas of early tooth decay. Show you and your child how to thoroughly clean the teeth. Apply a fluoride gel or varnish, if necessary. Schedule your next regular check-up.
How to Prevent Cavities in Three Important Steps - Colgate
www.colgate.com/.../cavities/.../how-to-prevent-cavitites-in-three-important-steps-031...
Cavity prevention starts at home. If you floss regularly, brush twice daily with a fluoride toothpaste and rinse with mouthwash, you can prevent tooth decay. A prescription fluoride rinse, such as Colgate® PreviDent®, can reduce cavities by 55 percent when it is used as a supplement to your oral care routine.
Prevent Cavities If You Have a Sweet Tooth | Colgate® Oral Care
www.colgate.com/.../cavities/.../how-to-prevent-cavities-when-you-have-a-sweet-toot...
Thanks to years of education from parents, teachers, dental hygienists, and dentists, most of us are aware that eating candy and drinking sugary drinks can contribute to tooth decay. ... Here are a few tips that can help prevent cavities for sugar lovers. ... Chew a sugar-free gum after ...
Cavities/tooth decay - Diagnosis and treatment - Mayo Clinic
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cavities/diagnosis.../drc-20352898
Jul 19, 2017 - The sooner you seek care, the better your chances of reversing the earliest stages of tooth decay and preventing its progression. If a cavity is ...
7 Surprising Cavity Fighters - Dental Health Center - Everyday Health
https://www.everydayhealth.com/dental-health.../surprising-cavity-fighters.aspx
A number of surprising and simple things might play a strong role in helping prevent cavities, such as wine, raisins, gum, and cheese, among others.
How to Prevent Cavities: 10 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow
https://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-Cavities
 Rating: 82% - ‎57 votes
Jun 16, 2017 - How to Prevent Cavities. When you eat and drink sugary or starchy food and beverages, bacteria in your mouth digests the food and turns it into ...
7 Things You Can Do to Prevent Tooth Decay - Carefree Dental
https://www.carefreedental.com/.../83-7-things-you-can-do-to-prevent-tooth-decay
Mar 8, 2016 - Are you sure you're doing everything you can to prevent cavities? To protect your mouth from tooth decay, here are 7 crucial things you need to ...
6 simple strategies to prevent cavities | Best Health Magazine Canada
www.besthealthmag.ca › Best You › Oral Health
A healthy body has to include a healthy mouth! These tips will help you keep your smile cavity-free for a lifetime.
Preventing Tooth Decay: Daily Dental Care Tips - WebMD
https://www.webmd.com › Oral Care › Guide
Jan 25, 2017 - Get helpful tips from WebMD on fighting tooth decay and cavities.
Preventing Cavities in Children | WDA - Wisconsin Dental Association
https://www.wda.org › Your Oral Health › Baby Teeth Matter
The good news is early childhood caries (cavities) are preventable. Visit us to learn tips for preventing cavities in children. Wisconsin Dental Association.
Ads
How To Prevent Cavities‎
Adwww.crest.com/PreventCavities‎
 rating for crest.com
Learn The Measures You Can Take To Prevent Cavities From Happening.
View All ToothpastesExtra WhiteningNew Crest® HD SystemHealthier Smiles Project
Learn To Prevent Cavities‎
Adwww.oralb.com/cavities‎
 rating for oralb.com
Get the Basics On Removing Plaque to Prevent Cavities. Learn More!
Clinical Protection · Pro-Health · Mint Floss · Easy On Gums · Deep Clean · Prevent Stains
How To FlossAll Oral-B® FlossFind Your FlossWhere To Buy

Reply #27961
Wikipedia "Tooth Decay" article ...
Tooth decay
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For caries of bone, see Osteolysis.
Tooth decay
Synonyms   Dental caries, cavities, caries
Dental Caries Cavity 2.JPG
Destruction of a tooth by dental caries.
Pronunciation   
Caries /ˈkɛər.iːz/
Specialty   Dentistry
Symptoms   Pain, tooth loss, difficulty eating[1][2]
Complications   Inflammation around the tooth, tooth loss, infection or abscess formation[1][3]
Duration   Long term
Causes   Bacteria producing acid from food debris[4]
Risk factors   Diet high in simple sugar, diabetes mellitus, Sjogren's syndrome, medications that decrease saliva[4]
Prevention   Low sugar diet, teeth brushing, fluoride[2]
Medication   Paracetamol (acetaminophen), ibuprofen[5]
Frequency   2.3 billion (2015)[6]
[edit on Wikidata]
Tooth decay, also known as dental caries or cavities, is a breakdown of teeth due to acids made by bacteria.[5] The cavities may be a number of different colors from yellow to black.[1] Symptoms may include pain and difficulty with eating.[1][2] Complications may include inflammation of the tissue around the tooth, tooth loss, and infection or abscess formation.[1][3]

The cause of caries is acid from bacteria dissolving the hard tissues of the teeth (enamel, dentin and cementum).[4] The acid is produced from food debris or sugar on the tooth surface.[4] Simple sugars in food are these bacteria's primary energy source and thus a diet high in simple sugar is a risk factor.[4] If mineral breakdown is greater than build up from sources such as saliva, caries results.[4] Risk factors include conditions that result in less saliva such as: diabetes mellitus, Sjogren's syndrome and some medications.[4] Medications that decrease saliva production include antihistamines and antidepressants.[4] Caries is also associated with poverty, poor cleaning of the mouth, and receding gums resulting in exposure of the roots of the teeth.[5][7]

Prevention of dental caries includes regular cleaning of the teeth, a diet low in sugar, and small amounts of fluoride.[2][4] Brushing the teeth twice per day and flossing between the teeth once a day is recommended by many.[5][4] Fluoride may be from water, salt or toothpaste among other sources.[2] Treating a mother's dental caries may decrease the risk in her children by decreasing the numbers of certain bacteria.[4] Screening can result in earlier detection.[5] Depending on the extent of destruction, various treatments can be used to restore the tooth to proper function or the tooth may be removed.[5] There is no known method to grow back large amounts of tooth.[8] The availability of treatment is often poor in the developing world.[2] Paracetamol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen may be taken for pain.[5]

Reply #27962
I'm shocked ... SHOCKED I tell ya!!  To find nothing about what TO eat ... only what NOT to eat ... i.e. sugar.

Reply #27963
Those children had a KNOWN DIETARY DEFICIENCY.
Oh?  "Known" you say?

Known by whom?  Their parents?  Their schoolteachers?  Their doctor? By the food companies producing the white flour that their parents used in their pancakes?  Or in their doughnuts?

Who? :dunno:
  • Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 02:55:30 PM by Dave Hawkins

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #27964

So far as you are aware, did anyone travel the world for 7 years as Price did, soon after Price did and try to reproduce his experiments?
Price performed experiments on these travels?

• Fenrir
Reply #27965
The British Empire had been bumbling round the world being racist at people for about 350 years before Price was born.

Listen Moran, Price published in 39, Hitler was defeated in 45. The correlation is undeniable, Price singlehandedly defeated racism.

Now go drink some milk.
It's what plants crave.

Reply #27966
This is interesting ...

Fillings could be consigned to history after scientists discovered that a drug already trialled in Alzheimer's patients can encourage tooth regrowth and repair cavities.

Researchers at King's College London found that the drug Tideglusib stimulates the stem cells contained in the pulp of teeth so that they generate new dentine - the mineralised material under the enamel.

Teeth already have the capability of regenerating dentine if the pulp inside the tooth becomes exposed through a trauma or infection, but can only naturally make a very thin layer, and not enough to fill the deep cavities caused by tooth decay.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/01/09/end-fillings-sight-scientists-find-alzheimers-drug-makes-teeth/

Reply #27967
Here's a little refresher article on the work of the Mellanbys ...

Fortunately, a decaying or broken tooth has the ability to heal itself if the diet is good, including by remineralizing enamel and dentin, and/or forming a limited quantity of new dentin. This new dentin is deposited by specialized cells called odontoblasts. Here's what Dr. Edward Mellanby had to say about his wife's research on the subject. This is taken from Nutrition and Disease:
Since the days of John Hunter it has been known that when the enamel and dentine are injured by attrition or caries, teeth do not remain passive but respond to the injury by producing a reaction of the odontoblasts in the dental pulp in an area generally corresponding to the damaged tissue and resulting in a laying down of what is known as secondary dentine. In 1922 M. Mellanby proceeded to investigate this phenomenon under varying nutritional conditions and found that she could control the secondary dentine laid down in the teeth of animals as a reaction to attrition both in quality and quantity, independently of the original structure of the tooth. Thus, when a diet of high calci­fying qualities, ie., one rich in vitamin D, calcium and phosphorus was given to the dogs during the period of attrition, the new secondary dentine laid down was abundant and well formed whether the original structure of the teeth was good or bad. On the other hand, a diet rich in cereals and poor in vitamin D resulted in the production of secondary dentine either small in amount or poorly calcified, and this happened even if the primary dentine was well formed. http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009/03/reversing-tooth-decay.html

Reply #27968
In response to my discussion of Fig. 97, Voxrat quoted OHSU in saying that of course secondary dentine forms ... it always does in response to placement of a filling.  Well I don't know if it does or not ... but according to the Mellanbys, diet controls the quantity and quality of secondary dentine.

Reply #27969
And no, I don't currently have any of Price's X-rays showing secondary dentin forming WITHOUT a filling emplaced.

But I do know that there are several people groups out there who file their teeth down even to the pulp and secondary dentine is formed with no filling emplaced.  (See Guyenet's article or Price)

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #27970
Mellanby discovered that cod liver oil and butterfat prevents rickets. Vitamin D itself was identified later. See here:

Sir Edward Mellanby in Great Britain had been very concerned with the extremely high incidence of rickets in the United Kingdom, especially in Scotland. In fact, the disease became known as 'the English Disease'.16 Sir Mellanby was taken by the work of McCollum and decided that rickets might be a dietary deficiency disease. He very cleverly used the diet consumed by the Scottish people (who had the highest incidence of rickets), primarily oatmeal, and fed that to dogs that he inadvertently kept indoors and away from sunlight. They developed rickets, which was identical to the human disease.17 Sir Mellanby17 could cure the disease by providing cod liver oil and he therefore assumed that it was possible that vitamin A was responsible for the prevention of rickets. McCollum who had since left Wisconsin and moved to Johns Hopkins University had been following this finding, and decided to test the hypothesis of whether vitamin A was responsible for healing rickets. He bubbled oxygen through cod liver oil that destroyed vitamin A and found that this preparation was no longer able to prevent xerophthalmia and vitamin A deficiency, but it still retained the ability to cure rickets.18 McCollum et al.18 correctly concluded that the factor that cures rickets is a new vitamin, which they called vitamin D.

http://www.nature.com/bonekeyreports/2014/140108/bonekey2013213/full/bonekey2013213.html

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
Reply #27971
This is interesting ...

Fillings could be consigned to history after scientists discovered that a drug already trialled in Alzheimer's patients can encourage tooth regrowth and repair cavities.

Researchers at King's College London found that the drug Tideglusib stimulates the stem cells contained in the pulp of teeth so that they generate new dentine - the mineralised material under the enamel.

Teeth already have the capability of regenerating dentine if the pulp inside the tooth becomes exposed through a trauma or infection, but can only naturally make a very thin layer, and not enough to fill the deep cavities caused by tooth decay.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/01/09/end-fillings-sight-scientists-find-alzheimers-drug-makes-teeth/

But, but, big pharma.
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

• Faid
Reply #27972
Oh?  "Known" you say?

Known by whom?  Their parents?  Their schoolteachers?  Their doctor? By the food companies producing the white flour that their parents used in their pancakes?  Or in their doughnuts?

Price, you doofus.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #27973
Where did these children live, again? I've forgotten if the place was named.

I ask because the home diet as described by Price/Dave is really odd, and doesn't really fit what I know of 'poor people diets' of any demographic at the time.

Reply #27974
Oh?  "Known" you say?

Price, you doofus.
Well of course Price. That's my point not yours. I thought you were making some different point.  but if not, great. Then we are agreed? Price fixed their nutritional deficiencies and their caries was arrested?