Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: the handful of atheists you can just about tolerate

Topic: We could use a Police Abuse sticky - Part 3 - Zombie Edition (Read 5435 times) previous topic - next topic

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
We could use a Police Abuse sticky - Part 3 - Zombie Edition
Most recent thread was here.

There are now two graphic, horrific enraging videos of Alton Sterling's extrajudicial murder by Baton Rouge police.  From CNN: http://www.justinccohen.com/blog/2016/7/6/advice-for-white-folks-in-the-wake-of-the-police-murder-of-a-black-person

This blog article was written after the extrajudicial murder of Alton Sterling: http://www.justinccohen.com/blog/2016/7/6/advice-for-white-folks-in-the-wake-of-the-police-murder-of-a-black-person

I kinda hate articles like that.

Dirty Walt, bass player with The Queers shared this image on his facebook wall today.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Re: We could use a Police Abuse sticky - Part 3 - Zombie Edition
Reply #1

• ToThePoint
  • search & destroy
Reply #2
I'm surprised the cops even bothered wrestling Alton Sterling to the ground before they shot and killed him.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Reply #3
So sad.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #4
Another police shooting tonight. Livestreamed on facebook.

http://www.startribune.com/aftermath-of-officer-involved-shooting-captured-on-phone-video/385789251/

When videos of police beating up, shooting, and killing black people started surfacing frequently, I thought technology would break the code of silence and lies.

The silence is broken and the lies are revealed but police are still acquitted and found innocent even with recorded evidence.

• Monad
Reply #5
Why would the cop even have his gun out for a mere broken light?

• ffejrxx
Reply #6
and if you get pulled over, why not get your license and insurance info ready before they approach the car and ask for it

and dont tell the cop you have a gun and are reaching for something else
thats just asking to get shot

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #7
Why would the cop even have his gun out for a mere broken light?
Because they were in the 'hood.

and if you get pulled over, why not get your license and insurance info ready before they approach the car and ask for it
Bad idea.  When you get pulled over, keep your hands visible at all times until the officer instructs you otherwise.

Well that's tricky.  Yes, you should tell the cops you have a weapon.  But no don't reach for anything until they instruct you on what to do.

I have a friend that used to carry (legally) all the time and he got pulled over once with me in the car, and told the cops he had a gun.  I can't remember specifics*, but the cop held on to his gun (for his own protection) while they wrote his ticket/warning, and of course checked his CCW as well as his DL. Gave it back when the exchange was over.

*I can't remember if it was concealed on his body or in his glove box, I can't remember if he handed it to the cop or if the cop took it off of him (I suspect the latter), etc. 
  • Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 08:24:01 AM by SkepticTank

Reply #8
Another police shooting tonight. Livestreamed on facebook.

http://www.startribune.com/aftermath-of-officer-involved-shooting-captured-on-phone-video/385789251/

When videos of police beating up, shooting, and killing black people started surfacing frequently, I thought technology would break the code of silence and lies.

The silence is broken and the lies are revealed but police are still acquitted and found innocent even with recorded evidence.
the acquittals are an intermediate phase

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #9

Yebbut that has nothing to do with the Sterling case. And in the Castile case the cops could have just shouted "Freeze, motherfucker". I'm told your cops love shouting that.
Truth is out of style

Reply #10
Oh they do.

Reply #11
Holy shit, the response. Dallas. Holy shit.

Reply #12
Karma's a bitch motherfuckers.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #13
yeah, no kidding.

I'm feeling pretty cynical  The streets would have to run red with blood before substantive change might happen.  And maybe not then.

Reply #14
I have a life challenge to find compassion for cops. This isn't doing it. My cynical side suspects that the cops will use this as an excuse and the streets may very well run red with blood. After the acquittal of Freddy Gray's driver I am far too disgusted to cry for a dead cop.

• nostrum
  • easily led
Reply #15
it's awful  :(

it's terrible to sniper police and it's likely going to be terrible for black people encountering newly nervous police in the next while

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #16
As the Washington Post noted, Dallas's reform-oriented police department is considered a national model, credited with improving transparency and lowering homicide rates.
http://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2016/07/dallas-protest-shooting/490451/

https://twitter.com/DallasPD/status/751222360867418112/photo/1

Fuckers shot the wrong cops. Which is not going to help matters.
Truth is out of style

Reply #17
As the Washington Post noted, Dallas's reform-oriented police department is considered a national model, credited with improving transparency and lowering homicide rates.
http://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2016/07/dallas-protest-shooting/490451/

https://twitter.com/DallasPD/status/751222360867418112/photo/1

Fuckers shot the wrong cops. Which is not going to help matters.

And a mother of four there protesting. By all accounts, the protest was peaceful and cooperative beforehand. Fuck these morons for giving idiots an excuse to dismiss and downplay the police murders earlier this week.

Reply #18
I have a life challenge to find compassion for cops. This isn't doing it. My cynical side suspects that the cops will use this as an excuse and the streets may very well run red with blood. After the acquittal of Freddy Gray's driver I am far too disgusted to cry for a dead cop.

Shut the fuck up and do something about it yourself instead of cheering for other people to put their lives on the line to give you your dead cop boner.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #19
Does this help?  I'm an emotionless bot, but I'm told some people found this moving.

Reply #20

Shut the fuck up and do something about it yourself instead of cheering for other people to put their lives on the line to give you your dead cop boner.
Are you telling me to shoot cops myself? I don't own a gun and pretty much don't want one. I'm not into shooting people. One of the reasons why cops can cry on their own side of the bed afaiac. There is no such thing as a good cop. Only less bad ones. Yeah I have a chip on my shoulder and cops put it there.

I'd prefer no one got shot but when people who carry guns get shot it's karma motherfuckers.

Reply #21
Does this help?  I'm an emotionless bot, but I'm told some people found this moving.

good god no.

Reply #22

it's terrible to sniper police and it's likely going to be terrible for black people encountering newly nervous police in the next while
this is the part that makes it terrible. The Israeli-Palestinian problem rewritten as blacks-cops.

Reply #23

this is the part that makes it terrible. The Israeli-Palestinian problem rewritten as blacks-cops.
You know Bill Maher made this point several years ago.  I thought it was a bad analogy but now I'm not so sure.

Reply #24
That is a scary analogy. We really need to make it clearer what behavior will land police a prosecution and then make sure those prosecutions are carried out for the rule of law to survive as the dominant social strategy.