Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: we stand with daap-umop-bup

Topic: Paul and Anne Ehrlich on How the Sahara Desert is Manmade (Read 2943 times) previous topic - next topic

• Faid
Re: Paul and Anne Ehrlich on How the Sahara Desert is Manmade
Reply #25
Where does that article say anything about "creating the Sahara desert" dave?

All I see is a quote from a 1946 book quoting a 1939 book that says this:
'From Spain to Palestine there are no forests left on the Mediterranean littoral, the region is pronouncedly arid instead of having the mild humid character of forest-clad land, and most of its former bounteously rich top-soil is lying at the bottom of the sea.'
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Faid
Reply #26
You do understand the difference between "Romans caused desertification" and "Romans created the Sahara desert", right?
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #27
You do understand the difference between "Romans caused desertification" and "Romans created the Sahara desert", right?

I'm pretty sure he does not.
Despite the fact that it's been explained to him multiple times.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #28
I see Hawkins is (1) taking advantage of the fact that the site crashed, so he can pretend all these dumb positions haven't been thoroughly refuted, safe in the knowledge no one can link to those refutations, and (2) taking advantage of the fact that there are no moderators (I guess) to boot this complete garbage from Science to a forum more suited to complete garbage.
Yup to (1). It must be heaven on earth for Dave. :D

ST is a moderator. Go hassle him.
Truth is out of style

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #29
Gib just joined and I gave him the mod buttons so you can hassle him, too!

Reply #30
Oh yeah?  How about this?

A Google search of the term "deforestation during Roman times"  brings up this Wikipedia article... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestation_during_the_Roman_period

In which a 1939 book entitled "the rape of the earth" by GV Jacks is quoted where it is stated that deforestation in Roman times created the Sahara desert.

Didn't have to look very far for that!
Really? Because I'm still looking.

Where, exactly, does that 1939 (!!!) book say that deforestation "created the Sahara desert", dave? Where in the article does it say that?

Also LOL@ "Teh Fludde is my evidence".

The exact quote is
Latium, Campania, Sardinia, Sicily, Spain, Northern Africa, as Roman granaries, were successively reduced to exhaustion. Abandoned land in Latium and Campania turned into swamps, in Northern Africa into desert.

Reply #31
Thank you for your participation in this thread.

[Bows]

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #32

A Google search of the term "deforestation during Roman times"  brings up this Wikipedia article... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestation_during_the_Roman_period

In which a 1939 book entitled "the rape of the earth" by GV Jacks is quoted where it is stated that deforestation in Roman times created the Sahara desert.

Where, exactly, does that 1939 (!!!) book say that deforestation "created the Sahara desert", dave? Where in the article does it say that?

The exact quote is
Latium, Campania, Sardinia, Sicily, Spain, Northern Africa, as Roman granaries, were successively reduced to exhaustion. Abandoned land in Latium and Campania turned into swamps, in Northern Africa into desert.

You think "Abandoned land in Northern Africa" == "the Sahara Desert".
You STILL think that, despite all the times it's been explained to you.
This is why people observe that you are ineducable.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #33

The exact quote is

No.

I think that "in Northern Africa into desert" == "Sahara Desert"

Learn to read.

Reply #34
"Abandoned land in Latium and Campania turned into swamps, in Northern Africa into desert."

I added some bolding to help the slow people parse the sentence properly.

Reply #35
 For the really really slow people, we could break this down into two sentences to help avoid confusion.

1) Abandoned land in Latium and Campania turned into swamps.
2)  Abandoned land in Northern Africa turned into desert.

One of the reasons I like older textbooks is because the authors wrote with interesting sentence structures.

• Faid
Reply #36
Thank you for your participation in this thread.

[Bows]
So you lied?

• Faid
Reply #37
For the really really slow people, we could break this down into two sentences to help avoid confusion.

One of the reasons I like older textbooks is because the authors wrote with interesting sentence structures.
It's a shame that you didn't pay the same  attention to sentence structures in grammar class.

Does any of that say "Romans created the Sahara desert"?

• Faid
Reply #38

Learn to read.
LOL. You think that "abandoned land in Northern Africa" is the equivalent of the Friggin' Sahara, and you tell OTHERS to learn how to read?

Classic dave.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #39
"Abandoned land in Latium and Campania turned into swamps, in Northern Africa into desert."

The exact quote is

No.

Learn to read.
:rofl: 

Learn to write.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #40

Apparently no amount of bolding will help you understand what that sentence means.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #41

Learn to read.
LOL. You think that "abandoned land in Northern Africa" is the equivalent of the Friggin' Sahara, and you tell OTHERS to learn how to read?

Classic dave.
Indeed.
This is a perfect illustration of the difference between Hawkins-style militant ignorance, and mere ignorance, or even willful ignorance.

• Faid
Reply #42
Is it worth pointing out that, if it was US who had played that little sleight-of-hand to dave, he would have been shouting "LIARS" until hell froze over (or until Arvixe managed to come up with a database backup)?

Reply #43

It's a shame that you didn't pay the same  attention to sentence structures in grammar class.

Does any of that say "Romans created the Sahara desert"?

The article is talking about the Roman Empire doing the abandoning ... so yes.

Reply #44

The exact quote is

No.

Learn to read.

Learn to write.
What desert do YOU think is in North Africa? The Gobi?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #45

The exact quote is

No.

Learn to read.

Learn to write.

I don't really care about grammar and whether it says this or that, I'm mostly interested in the evidence this mystery author, is it GW Jacks or someone else< cites in support of his claims. Are there citations, references? If so, where are they?

As with the Ehrlichs, their claim in the 1960s was not supported by cited evidence, it was simply a pop-sci book making claims. claims intended to rile people up.
Are we there yet?

Reply #46

Why do you think there is nothing in North Africa other than the Sahara?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #47
You're an idiot.
The Romans did not settle, inhabit, exploit, or do anything in the Sahara Desert.
They did settle, inhabit, exploit, etc. the Mediterranean coastal margin of North Africa.

One more time: the Sahara Desert is a natural desert; not "man-made". 
For all your bluster, you have presented exactly zero evidence to the contrary.
  • Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 04:48:30 PM by VoxRat

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #48
Maybe if Dave looked at a map.

Reply #49
 One thing I will grant you is that we cannot  conclude from this source that the ENTIRE Sahara desert was caused by Roman deforestation. Maybe only a small coastal portion. I don't know.