Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: no u

Topic: Paul and Anne Ehrlich on How the Sahara Desert is Manmade (Read 2940 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Paul and Anne Ehrlich on How the Sahara Desert is Manmade
Reply #275
 I know where the fucking Sahel is. This is not the Sahel. It's fucking southeastern Algeria.  God you people are idiots.

• MikeS
Reply #276
I know where the fucking Sahel is. This is not the Sahel. It's fucking southeastern Algeria.  God you people are idiots.
Where was the Sahel 5,000 years ago Dave?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #277
And for once in your life don't answer with squid ink. Just give me a straightforward answer.
your
the standard view
is squid ink.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• MikeS
Reply #278
Even TODAY, the Sahel is the southeast portion of Algeria.

Where was the Sahel region 5,000 years ago Dave?

• MikeS
Reply #279
It's like Dave thinks the entire world has been static since 3,000 BC

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #280
Also, we've been over this before.
Note, too, that Tassil n'Ajjer is in the West Saharan montane xeric woodlands
... an ecoregion that extends across several highland regions in the Sahara. Surrounded at lower elevations by the largely barren Sahara, the West Saharan montane xeric woodlands are isolated refuges of plants and animals that can survive in the higher humidity and lower temperatures of the highlands.
I.e. - not representative of the Sahara desert as a whole.
I.e.: Hawkinsian cherry-picking.

"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• MikeS
Reply #281

Wow Dave, seems someone agrees that the Sahara was grassland 5,000+ years ago.  This DOESN'T go against the "standard timeline".

Go to this page for MORE timeline snapshots of the Sahara region.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=011212;p=1

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #282
Look, I'll make this real simple for you.

There are a hell of a lot of paintings from the "Pastoral Period"  which supposedly ends about 3000 BC in south eastern Algeria that depict bovine flocks and herds.

This pictures a situation smack dab in the middle of what is now the Sahara desert which stands in stark contrast to "the standard view."

What do you make of that? Is the standard view wrong?

That you are a cherry picking idiot, as usual.
Did you do any additional research on this region? Such as its geology? Such as its ecology, even its current ecology?
It's a sandstone plateau with elevations ranging from 800 to 2500 meters. Even now it harbors scattered foilage and permanent pools of water as well as surviving flocks of mouflon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tassili_n%27Ajjer

http://africanrockart.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Coulson-article-A10-proof.pdf

The Sahara is not one big monolithic ecology. It's composed of numerous different ecologies, from the sand seas to alpine mountain tops tp vast areas of barren rock. There's even some smaller areas of savanna and numerous oases. It's also obvious there have been significant rivers in the area. Did you even look at a terrain map of it?
Are we there yet?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #283
One of the great things about Bluffy is his penchant for embarrassing himself. Often repeatedly on the same subject.
Are we there yet?

• MikeS
Reply #284
One of the great things about Bluffy is his penchant for embarrassing himself. Often repeatedly on the same subject.
It took me less than 5 minutes to come up with information that contradicted his spamming.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #285
It took me less than 5 minutes to come up with information that contradicted his spamming.

Not surprising other than that seems a bit too long. Then again, this is a rather arcane subject.

Bluffy is shallow. It's rare for him to stray beyond his ctrl-Fing and Hawkinzing and actually research something. And when he does, it's often cherry-picked or quote-mined to agree with his fantasies.

He's so predictable.
Are we there yet?

Reply #286

Wow Dave, seems someone agrees that the Sahara was grassland 5,000+ years ago.  This DOESN'T go against the "standard timeline".

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=011212;p=1
I see. Then we are in agreement  after all?  Do we all also now agree (with Ehrlich) that the reason for desertification in the Sahara was bad agricultural practices?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #287
I see. Then we are in agreement  after all?
Agreement about what? You have yet to make a case of your own, and all you seem to be contesting is some unnamed strawman you label "the standard view".
Do we all also now agree (with Ehrlich) that the reason for desertification in the Sahara was bad agricultural practices?
Of course not.
Try reading other people's posts.

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #288
Have "we all" flushed down the memory hole that not even Elrich believes that anymore? Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that what Dave emailed him to ask? Or what made him think that was the case?

That when Dave inquired of him and got a response he didn't like (you know, the answer he received and neglected to share exactly what Elrich said with any sort of intellectual honesty) and coughed up what amounted to hand wavey something something memory and he changed his mind for some reason something something ... probably darwin club?

sock-o, king of the tenacious pterobird, pulls that shit too. Whenever he doesn't get an answer he likes from some author or researcher suddenly goes into "translation mode" and gets really vague, feigning as though he can't remember exactly what was said. Rather than, you know, just fucking copy/pasting the fucking email he received a day or two beforehand.
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #289
Ah, I see it's right there on the first page of this thread where Dave claims Elrich was probably brainwashed.  ::)

ETA:

But why would Dave have to make a clearly nonsensical claim about Elrich being brainwashed if all Elrich said is that he couldn't recall what caused hm to hold that opinion? The powers of the Darwin Club truly are amazing and put the Illuminati to shame.

• Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 09:04:04 AM by Doobie Keebler
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

• MikeS
Reply #290

I see. Then we are in agreement  after all?  Do we all also now agree (with Ehrlich) that the reason for desertification in the Sahara was bad agricultural practices?
No.  Why don't you read up on the "History of Agriculture" first before spouting such nonsense.
  • Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 09:36:48 AM by MikeS

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #291
So much for this drive-by thread necromancy I guess.  :dunno:

Reply #292
So Ehrlich is one of the few (ballsy) scientists who says that the Sahara desert is a manmade desert, not a natural one.

What evidence do we have for this?

Well at first I looked at Rome and it's deforestation practices, but Voxrat says that Rome only colonized the Mediterranean coast, not the entire area that is now the Sahara.  While this is true, I don't think we know how much of this land area might have been deforested by the Romans.

Be that as it may ...

I've looked elsewhere for evidence supporting Ehrlich's claim.

And I think I've found some in the Tassili n'Ajjer cave paintings in Southeastern Algeria.  If you look on a map at where SE Algeria is, it's smack dab in the center of what is now the Sahara desert.

This website describes the cave paintings.  Note the timeframes ...

The Pastoral Period (or 'Bovidian period') from around 7,200 BC to 3,000 BC is the dominant period in terms of the number of paintings, during which there is the representation of bovine herds and the scenes of daily life. They have an aesthetic naturalistic realism to them and are among the best known examples of prehistoric mural art.

The Horse and Libyan Warrior Period ('Equidian period'), which dates from approximately 3200 BC to 1000 BC, covers the end of the Neolithic and protohistoric periods, which corresponds to the disappearance of numerous species from the effects of progressive desiccation and to the appearance of the horse. Horses have also been depicted pulling chariots, driven by whip-wielding unarmed charioteers, suggesting that the chariots were not used for fighting, but possibly for hunting.  However, chariots with wooden wheels could not have been driven across the rocky Sahara and into the mountains where many of the chariot paintings occur.

Some of the last artistic images reflect the taming of camels in the aptly named Camel Period, which dates from around 2,000 BC to 1,000 BC. This period coincided with the onset of the hyper-arid desert climate and with the appearance of the dromedary (a camel with one hump on its back). http://www.ancient-origins.net/ancient-places-africa/15000-artworks-over-ten-millennia-reveal-evolution-human-life-edge-sahara

Some things to note here ...

1) It didn't become hyper-arid until the 2000 BC - 1000 BC range, much later than what you guys think
2) The "Pastoral Period" is dominant in terms of number of paintings and includes depictions of bovine herds.  Sounds like overgrazing to me.  Does it not to you?
3) The timeframe for the Pastoral Period is skewed.  See RH Brown.

As for your Milankotich Cycle theory ... well ... that's just speculation.  This is a science forum.  We deal in facts.
Reposting for the people who don't read carefully. 

Here are the things that you should glean from this article ...

1)  There was a pastoral society smack dab in the middle of what is now the Sahara desert less than 10,000 years ago.
2)  Hyper arid conditions were not prevalent until about 1000 BC. Much later that you guys believe.

Now you take these gleanings from this article and combine them with things you should already know...

1)  That the 10,000 year timescale should be compressed thanks to the work of RH Brown.
2)  The fact of desertification happening all around us even today as a result of deforestation and overgrazing.

And voilĂ ! You have support for Ehrlich's claim!

See how that works?
Got interested in this topic again recently.  I see that, as usual, there is no substantive refutation from this crowd ...
Weird how you got interested again at the same time you are badgering from the c14 thread despite the fact that you don't understand it yet. Oh, and from your dumbass claim that there is a global flood layer found in continent sized whatever whatever that isn't actually there.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #293
So Ehrlich is one of the few (ballsy) scientists who says that the Sahara desert is a manmade desert, not a natural one.

What evidence do we have for this?

Well at first I looked at Rome and it's deforestation practices, but Voxrat says that Rome only colonized the Mediterranean coast, not the entire area that is now the Sahara.  While this is true, I don't think we know how much of this land area might have been deforested by the Romans.

Be that as it may ...

I've looked elsewhere for evidence supporting Ehrlich's claim.

And I think I've found some in the Tassili n'Ajjer cave paintings in Southeastern Algeria.  If you look on a map at where SE Algeria is, it's smack dab in the center of what is now the Sahara desert.

This website describes the cave paintings.  Note the timeframes ...

The Pastoral Period (or 'Bovidian period') from around 7,200 BC to 3,000 BC is the dominant period in terms of the number of paintings, during which there is the representation of bovine herds and the scenes of daily life. They have an aesthetic naturalistic realism to them and are among the best known examples of prehistoric mural art.

The Horse and Libyan Warrior Period ('Equidian period'), which dates from approximately 3200 BC to 1000 BC, covers the end of the Neolithic and protohistoric periods, which corresponds to the disappearance of numerous species from the effects of progressive desiccation and to the appearance of the horse. Horses have also been depicted pulling chariots, driven by whip-wielding unarmed charioteers, suggesting that the chariots were not used for fighting, but possibly for hunting.  However, chariots with wooden wheels could not have been driven across the rocky Sahara and into the mountains where many of the chariot paintings occur.

Some of the last artistic images reflect the taming of camels in the aptly named Camel Period, which dates from around 2,000 BC to 1,000 BC. This period coincided with the onset of the hyper-arid desert climate and with the appearance of the dromedary (a camel with one hump on its back). http://www.ancient-origins.net/ancient-places-africa/15000-artworks-over-ten-millennia-reveal-evolution-human-life-edge-sahara

Some things to note here ...

1) It didn't become hyper-arid until the 2000 BC - 1000 BC range, much later than what you guys think
2) The "Pastoral Period" is dominant in terms of number of paintings and includes depictions of bovine herds.  Sounds like overgrazing to me.  Does it not to you?
3) The timeframe for the Pastoral Period is skewed.  See RH Brown.

As for your Milankotich Cycle theory ... well ... that's just speculation.  This is a science forum.  We deal in facts.
Reposting for the people who don't read carefully. 

Here are the things that you should glean from this article ...

1)  There was a pastoral society smack dab in the middle of what is now the Sahara desert less than 10,000 years ago.
2)  Hyper arid conditions were not prevalent until about 1000 BC. Much later that you guys believe.

Now you take these gleanings from this article and combine them with things you should already know...

1)  That the 10,000 year timescale should be compressed thanks to the work of RH Brown.
2)  The fact of desertification happening all around us even today as a result of deforestation and overgrazing.

And voilĂ ! You have support for Ehrlich's claim!

See how that works?
Got interested in this topic again recently.  I see that, as usual, there is no substantive refutation from this crowd ...
Weird how you got interested again at the same time you are badgering from the c14 thread despite the fact that you don't understand it yet. Oh, and from your dumbass claim that there is a global flood layer found in continent sized whatever whatever that isn't actually there.
Any port in a storm.
Are we there yet?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #294
Ah, I see it's right there on the first page of this thread where Dave claims Elrich was probably brainwashed.  ::)

ETA:

But why would Dave have to make a clearly nonsensical claim about Elrich being brainwashed if all Elrich said is that he couldn't recall what caused hm to hold that opinion? The powers of the Darwin Club truly are amazing and put the Illuminati to shame.
The really impressive part is how we manipulate Bluffy into guilessly acting the fool and making creationism look even dumber than it is. Though it sort of seems like Bluffy may be catching on, given the team in charge of him is called The Bitches.
Are we there yet?