Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: kill urself

Topic: Moistened Apes. (Aquatic Ape Megathread Reborn. If You Build It, They WIll Come Edition). (Read 349 times) previous topic - next topic

Moistened Apes. (Aquatic Ape Megathread Reborn. If You Build It, They WIll Come Edition).
Not sure how long they'll be available for, but David Attenborough's got another 2-part Aquatic Ape Hypothesis radio show as a follow-up to the one he did 12 years ago.
Why do I bother?

• MSG
Re: Moistened Apes. (Aquatic Ape Megathread Reborn. If You Build It, They WIll Come Edition).
Reply #1

UNWATCH
braying among the ruins

• Faid
Re: Moistened Apes. (Aquatic Ape Megathread Reborn. If You Build It, They WIll Come Edition).
Reply #2
There's "new evidence"?
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

Reply #3
Well there's plenty of stuff to do with human evolution we didn't know 12 years ago. How much of it supports damp gibbons is another matter.
Why do I bother?

• gib
  • Global Moderator
Reply #4
i listened to this today and it turns out most of what Elaine Morgan said was true

why can't we add tags?
Quote from: Jerome
As liquid urine is denser than the atmosphere, why yes. The urine stream from Putin's penis splashing on Trump's sphincter is easily described with buoyancy, no need for the magical force that no one can explain what it is.

Reply #5
There's "new evidence"?

yes but none of it for aqua ape

• Faid
Reply #6
Is there anywhere where I can listen to the show?
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Pingu
Reply #7
I saw that trailed.  Was it crap?
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #8
It was mostly cheerleading for the AAH. Algis and his discovery of buoyancy got a soundbite. Quite a bit of stuff about DHA, with no mention of the fact that plenty of people without much seafood  (or animal brains) in their diet do perfectly fine, lots of stuff claiming that because they were using water as a source of food that means they must have been aquatic.

So yes, it was. I know Sir Dave likes the idea, and I absolutely agree with Elaine Morgan that the whole "Man the Hunter" narrative was crap and ignored 50% of the population, and needed to be challenged.  But I was hoping for a proper examination of the evidence, and we didn't get it.

ETA: Its been a while since I've delved into the AAH, so I'm a bit rusty, I'm sure if someone's interested they can do a line by line debunking of it. It just won't be me.
  • Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:26:41 AM by DaveGodfrey
Why do I bother?

Reply #9
Mark Maslin (who teaches at Algis' alma mater of UCL) and Alice Roberts are unimpressed.
Why do I bother?

• Pingu
Reply #10
I heard a little bit of it last night.  I quite liked it.  I might listen to it all on iPlayer.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #11
our skin leaks as well, letting in water so that our fingers become prune-like after a long bath.
Not exactly...

People often assume that wrinkling is the result of water passing into the outer layer of the skin and making it swell up. But researchers have known since the 1930s that the effect does not occur when there is nerve damage in the fingers. This points to the change being an involuntary reaction by the body's autonomic nervous system -- the system that also controls breathing, heart rate and perspiration. In fact, the distinctive wrinkling is caused by blood vessels constricting below the skin.

In the latest study, participants picked up wet or dry objects including marbles of different sizes with normal hands or with fingers wrinkled after soaking in warm water for 30 minutes. The subjects were faster at picking up wet marbles with wrinkled fingers than with dry ones, but wrinkles made no difference for moving dry objects. The results are published today in Biology Letters.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-do-our-fingers-and-toes-wrinkle-during-a-bath/