Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• I think as part of the "reboot" this place's name should be changed to "Talk and Talk and Talk and Talk More or Less Rationally".

Topic: The Trump Kompromat Theory (Read 29728 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Trump Kompromat Theory
Reply #25
Well that was some epic crossposting

Reply #26
His campaign was run by a dude who's on Putin's payroll for awhile. None of this should be shocking.

Reply #27
James Comey's had this information since August and didn't say shit, but he sure did rush out the "OMG MORE EMAILS MAYBE!" letter as quickly as he could. Plus that turd he dropped in the Senate hearings today about how he never comments on pending/ongoing investigations.

Great appointment, Obama.

going to miss Reid, who called this shit in October

Reply #28

Reply #29
meep, can you do a "AMA: my family fled a puppet dictatorship!" thread?

• ksen
Reply #30
I can't believe you guys are siding against the forces of accelerationalism.

It'll all be over soon . . . thank god.

Reply #31
accelerate you'reself into a wall

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #32
meep, can you do a "AMA: my family fled a puppet dictatorship!" thread?

Lol oh god. Hey you might be able to do it yourself eventually. :buddy:

My first impression as someone who doesn't know a whole lot about the laws involved is that if true, the most damaging accusations might be the bribery of foreign officials (that's a felony if I remember correctly), the transmission of information on the activities of oligarchs in the US to Russian intelligence, and more importantly Cohen's supposed meeting in Prague with operatives and the alleged payments. That last one would be direct evidence linking Trump's campaign to hacking via a foreign power.

None of this is surprising but it's shocking that this is all happening. There are whispers on the Twitters from a few former US intelligence people that some of the allegations may have been substantiated, with hints about the Prague meeting but it's pure speculation at this point.

Reply #33
That's basically treason-level stuff, I'd imagine.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #34
On Twitter, Cohen has denied ever having been to Prague. Trump tweeted out in ALL CAPS that it's FAKE NEWS and a WITCH HUNT.

I haven't gone back to read the thingy more closely, but I apparently missed a bit about Trump's campaign supposedly promising to back off on Ukraine and shift the focus to US/NATO to take the heat off and question US commitment to the Baltic states. If that's true, that's also a pretty big deal.

It's impossible to tell what's likely to be true, what's likely to be embellished, and what's likely to be completely wrong. The fact that Obama and Trump were both briefed on this seems to suggest someone has confirmed at least some part of it, unless it's not unheard of for complete garbage intelligence to make it up that high. I have a feeling that this has opened the floodgates, and we'll maybe find out more in the coming days. Some of it is bound to be made up or incorrect, but who fucking knows? It all sounds simultaneously outlandish and believable.

Reply #35
Trump's campaign 100% for sure got the GOP party platform on Ukraine/Crimea changed to be much more Russian-friendly.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #36
James Comey's had this information since August and didn't say shit, but he sure did rush out the "OMG MORE EMAILS MAYBE!" letter as quickly as he could. Plus that turd he dropped in the Senate hearings today about how he never comments on pending/ongoing investigations.

It's even worse:

The Guardian has learned that the FBI applied for a warrant from the foreign intelligence surveillance (Fisa) court over the summer in order to monitor four members of the Trump team suspected of irregular contacts with Russian officials. The Fisa court turned down the application asking FBI counter-intelligence investigators to narrow its focus. According to one report, the FBI was finally granted a warrant in October, but that has not been confirmed, and it is not clear whether any warrant led to a full investigation.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/10/fbi-chief-given-dossier-by-john-mccain-alleging-secret-trump-russia-contacts

So new emails on Weiner's laptop merited a public letter to Congress, but the FBI applying for a warrant under FISA to investigate Trump team members didn't.

It's incredibly rare for the FISA court to reject a warrant. It could've been that the evidence was so shoddy that this was one of the rare occasions where they rejected it. Or it could be that the court demanded a higher standard because it involved the presidential campaign of a major party nominee. Or it could be the court playing politics. And if it's true that they were able to obtain a warrant in October, then what in the fucking fuck?

I gave Comey the benefit of the doubt earlier, but now I'm thinking he really fucked this up in a horrific way.

Reply #37
realistically though, I'm not actually sure it matters. by that point, a lot of decisions had already been made and the demographics that trump needed to sway were already swayed. I still do not understand how the evangelicals managed to turn out for Trump at those levels. The Mormons too. It blows my mind.

• Spode
  • I'm sorry.
Reply #38
I still do not understand how the evangelicals managed to turn out for Trump at those levels. The Mormons too. It blows my mind.

Most of my understanding of this comes from Rapture Ready, a microcosm of easily digestible evangelical madness, which is mostly concerned with unborn babies and the continued existence of (((Israel))), so that the end of times might eventually play out according to their silly fan-fic ret-conned daydreams. Pussy grabbing and cronyism is a total non-issue. The world can burn so long as planned parenthood is defunded and America supports teh (((jooish))) state.

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #39
Buzzfeed just published the dossier: https://www.buzzfeed.com/kenbensinger/these-reports-allege-trump-has-deep-ties-to-russia?utm_term=.hiXzQ7d1j#.kl4NGQ8wq

Caveats:
The document is not just unconfirmed: It includes some clear errors. The report misspells the name of one company, "Alpha Group," throughout. It is Alfa Group. The report says the settlement of Barvikha, outside Moscow, is "reserved for the residences of the top leadership and their close associates." It is not reserved for anyone, and is also populated by the very wealthy.

:stare:

eta2 oh god what's going to happen to the Lincoln bedroom :staregonk:
In other news...
http://fox5.co/r-kelly-confirmed-to-perform-at-inauguration/

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #40
the evangelical candidate
evangelicals are among the "faith, not works" people we were talking about.  it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you pray to jesus hard enough.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #41
In other news...
http://fox5.co/r-kelly-confirmed-to-perform-at-inauguration/

lol, definitely in the top 5 of jokes that this has unleashed.

Reply #42
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #43
I still do not understand how the evangelicals managed to turn out for Trump at those levels. The Mormons too. It blows my mind.
One thing it solidifies in my mind is that Christianity has little, if anything, to do with the politics of people who identify as "evangelicals".  I think it's pure tribalism, and the "evangelical" thing is just part of the dress code.
What really crystallized that for me was the photo of the Falwells, posing with Trump in his office, in front of the vanity wall of magazine covers featuring Trump, "Playboy" being prominently displayed right over Mrs. Falwell's left shoulder.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  • Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:57:36 AM by VoxRat
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #44
Trump is melting down on Twitter and he even said Russia says none of it is true. And that he has no connections to Russia.

Lol sure inspires confidence that he would believe Russia's denials. And if he has no ties, surely releasing his tax returns and financial documents would help clear the air.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #45
I find it odd that my daughter's elementary school teacher is Facebooking using the phrase "golden showers" but it's a Brave New World out there.

Reply #46
realistically though, I'm not actually sure it matters. by that point, a lot of decisions had already been made and the demographics that trump needed to sway were already swayed. I still do not understand how the evangelicals managed to turn out for Trump at those levels. The Mormons too. It blows my mind.

Nah, IIRc both campaigns' internal polling saw Clinton's numbers collapse but mostly recover at the first "OMG MAYBE MORE EMAILS!!!" letter, but Trump's numbers shot up among idiots after the "OOPS SORRY NO MORE EMAILS!" letter the weekend before the election.

You can still argue that a better-run campaign would have been immune to that bullshit, but seriously fuck Comey and Sen. King should have just walked over and slapped in the face when he gave that "but I'd never comment on an ongoing investigation!" line.

• ksen
Reply #47
Buzzfeed just published the dossier: https://www.buzzfeed.com/kenbensinger/these-reports-allege-trump-has-deep-ties-to-russia?utm_term=.hiXzQ7d1j#.kl4NGQ8wq

Caveats:
The document is not just unconfirmed: It includes some clear errors. The report misspells the name of one company, "Alpha Group," throughout. It is Alfa Group. The report says the settlement of Barvikha, outside Moscow, is "reserved for the residences of the top leadership and their close associates." It is not reserved for anyone, and is also populated by the very wealthy.

/pol/ is claiming the golden showers one started as a piece of 4chan fanfic that got forwarded to someone named Rick Wilson who believed it was a real thing and sent it on to the intelligence agencies.

Reply #48

Caveats:

/pol/ is claiming the golden showers one started as a piece of 4chan fanfic that got forwarded to someone named Rick Wilson who believed it was a real thing and sent it on to the intelligence agencies.

/pol/ is dumb as fuck and so it anyone who'd believe their claims, though.

BBC reported earlier that their contact with the CIA indicated that there was more than one source, more than one tape with video and audio (St. Petersburg and Moscow) and that the CIA found the allegations to be credible.

• ksen
Reply #49
/pol/ is dumb as fuck and so it anyone who'd believe their claims, though.

They were talking about it at least as far back as 11/1 before it became the hot news item.

https://archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/95568919/#95571329