Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: The Urban/Rural Divide (Read 305 times) previous topic - next topic

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

The Urban/Rural Divide
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/national/rural-america/

https://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/page/national/washington-post-kaiser-family-foundation-rural-and-small-town-america-poll/2217/

The Washington Post-Kaiser Family Foundation survey of nearly 1,700 Americans -- including more than 1,000 adults living in rural areas and small towns -- finds deep-seated kinship in rural America, coupled with a stark sense of estrangement from people who live in urban areas. Nearly 7 in 10 rural residents say their values differ from people who live in big cities, including about 4 in 10 who say their values are "very different."

That divide is felt more extensively in rural America than in cities: About half of urban residents say their values differ from rural people, with about 20 percent of urbanites saying rural values are "very different."

"Being from a rural area, everyone looks out for each other," said Ryan Lawson, who grew up in northern Wisconsin. "People, in my experience, in cities are not as compassionate toward their neighbor as people in rural parts."

Yes, but, what if your neighbor is a black or a queer or Jewish?

Rural Americans express far more concern about jobs in their communities, but the poll finds that those concerns have little connection to support for Trump, a frequent theory to explain his rise in 2016. Economic troubles also show little relation to the feeling that urban residents have different values.

Rural voters who lament their community's job prospects report supporting Trump by 14 percentage points more than Clinton, but Trump's support was about twice that margin -- 30 points -- among voters who say their community's job opportunities are excellent or good. Trump also earned about the same level of support from those who say they don't worry about paying their bills as those who couldn't pay their bills at some point in the past year.

Rural residents are nearly three times as likely (42 percent) as people in cities (16 percent) to say that immigrants are a burden on the country.

"They're not paying taxes like Americans are. They're getting stuff handed to them," said Larry E. Redding, a retired canning factory employee in Arendtsville, Pa. "Free rent, and they're driving better vehicles than I'm driving and everything else."

Wait a goddamn minute, you mean I've been paying taxes all this time like some fucking sucker when I didn't have to? Also where can I sign up for my free rent and nice vehicle?

The poll reveals that perceptions about abuse of government benefits often go hand in hand with views about race.

When asked which is more common -- that government help tends to go to irresponsible people who do not deserve it or that it doesn't reach people in need -- rural Americans are more likely than others to say they think people are abusing the system. And across all areas, those who believe irresponsible people get undeserved government benefits are more likely than others to think that racial minorities receive unfair privileges.

In response to this poll question -- "Which of these do you think is the bigger problem in this country: blacks and Hispanics losing out because of preferences for whites, or whites losing out because of preferences for blacks and Hispanics?" -- rural whites are 14 points less likely than urban whites to say they are more concerned about blacks and Hispanics losing out.

"The culture and the type of people you see, they're different" in big cities, said Bethany Hanna, a homemaker in Saint Albans, W.Va., who said she visits urban areas on missions with her church. "It tends to be the type of people who are getting more assistance. .?.?. And the way you hear people talking, the viewpoints that they have on certain matters, it leans toward a pretty liberal opinion. Some of it's an entitlement thing. They say 'that's not fair,' or 'I deserve this,' that kind of thing."

I'm shocked that someone on a mission with their church would encounter people who need more assistance. Weird!

Re: The Urban/Rural Divide
Reply #1
So you're saying there's more racism and xenophobia in white rural American enclaves where they rarely even encounter anyone who isn't exactly like themselves? Astonishing!

• MSG
  • Needs a Life

Reply #2
how can this possibly be; nowhere else in the world are insular communities narrow-minded and xenophobic
braying among the ruins

Reply #3
So you're saying there's more racism and xenophobia in white rural American enclaves where they rarely even encounter anyone who isn't exactly like themselves? Astonishing!
My brother's friend grew up in rural Iowa. Two things he didn't see in real life until he moved to Chicago in his mid 20's: shrimp and black people.

Reply #4
The central US in particular does seem to have some extremely isolated communities. You get closer to any coast and there's more contact with 'people not like you' because ports, trade, etc.

I grew up in a tiny mildly inbred rural community, but it was close to the coast, and a port, and so I was bussed an hour away to a school that had a healthy distribution of the descendants of people who came from many different countries, ethnicities, skin colours and religions. Not all sweetness and light, of course, but the main divide was religion, Protestant and Catholic mostly.

I remember being shocked that my mother was extremely uncomfortable with me dating a Jewish guy from town; I hadn't thought she was prejudiced that way. Years later she explained that his father had gotten her favourite cousin pregnant in the 1940s and had refused to 'do the right thing', leaving the cousin to go through a difficult time indeed. So she basically didn't trust the boyfriend because his dad was a louse, not because he was Jewish. :hehe:

Reply #5
I grew up in a small town in NE Pennsylvania. And by "small", I mean that there were more people in my first class at a state university than there were in my ENTIRE town. The county seat, and largest town, had a population of about 1600. I had classmates whom I had known from kindergarten through 12th grade, and there were only 110 people in my graduating class. And I went to one of the largest high schools in the county!

I only ever met ONE black person until I went off to college; never met a Jew before college; never ate Chinese food, had pizza from a pizza place, or ate any kind of ethnic food -- not even tacos!

When my father was in intensive care at a larger hospital 60 miles away (but still in a rural setting), I remarked to my brothers, who only moved a couple of miles away, how ODD it was to be among a lot of people but only see white people. They thought I was the strange one - and asked me what was weird about only having white people around? When one of my nephews was visiting me, and I took him to McDonald's, an African-American man was standing in front of us in line. At the age of five, this nephew had NEVER seen a black person before, and he asked me, very loudly, if that man was made of chocolate.

It's a very conservative, inbred view of life. I cannot begin to count the number of times I've heard "those people are getting a bunch of free stuff, and I have to work for my [food, phone, housing, what-have-you]." I don't know where they get the idea that immigrants don't pay taxes and get a bunch of "free stuff."

• MSG
  • Needs a Life

Reply #6
what does my head in is when I hear that said by people who have gone through the immigrant experience themselves and know exactly how hard it was for them
braying among the ruins

Reply #7
As I keep saying. Rural people are morally deficient and should all be sent to reeducation camps.

• MSG
  • Needs a Life

Reply #8
it's amazing no one's listening to a voice of reason like yours
braying among the ruins

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #9
My brother's friend grew up in rural Iowa. Two things he didn't see in real life until he moved to Chicago in his mid 20's: shrimp and black people.

That is so weird to me. The first town we lived in here in the US is technically considered urban, but it was more like a crowded suburban place where everything is close together because the town was founded in the 1700s. I went to school with kids of lots of different backgrounds even though the majority were Irish/Italian Catholic/Jewish. It seemed like every other one of my classmates got to celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah, and I was kind of jealous. There were black kids, East Asian kids, Indian kids, Pakistani kids, Latin American kids. Immigrants and native born.

We ended up moving to a more whitebread town. I actually met up with 3 of my old friends last week because one of them had a baby shower at her mom's house, and we talked about this a bit. One of them is black, and she always used to joke about being the token black friend since there were so few black students at school. She ended up going to college at Columbia and she said she was so relieved to be around more people like her and a bunch of weirdos who were okay with everyone being their own kind of weirdo. And she said that being in an environment like that made her look back at some of the shit people said to her in high school and realize just how ridiculous it was. Like the time when these white girls were arguing with her that they were more black than she was because they listened to rap and she didn't. lol okay sure.

But yeah. I'm glad I grew up in a more diverse place. That unease you feel when you're obviously the outsider is a really unpleasant feeling.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #10
Am I missing something or is this take super dumb? (eta there are 2 more tweets there, click to see)

It seems pretty obvious to me that ruralness per se does matter. Being further removed from government services alone absolutely affects your view of what government does and doesn't do. Not having much contact with people who are different from you absolutely affects your view of what those people are like. This seems like pretty fucking basic shit.
  • Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 05:58:46 PM by meepmeep

Reply #11
Feedback loop. people who grow up rural are more likely to have shitty opinions about cooperative tolerant modern societies, and people who have shitty opinions about cooperative tolerant modern societies are more likely to either move away from cities or stay rural when the job market calls for moving to a city. There's a social filter that is concentrating shitty people into rural areas and helping them become more and more shitty.

• Bilirubin
  • Needs a Life
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'

Reply #12
Nah

• nesb
  • Needs a Life

Reply #13
The problem isn't the rural poor, it's the rich motherfuckers spreading propaganda, and setting poor against poor. The rich motherfuckers are scared, so they're stepping up their game, and doing so very effectively. Not that they haven't been doing it forever.

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #14
:sadyes:     It's the "What's the Matter with Kansas" phenomenon.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #15
There's also the lack of change in a rural setting which reinforces the insularity.  Since most people (around 60%) stay in the same state (and over one-third never left their home town) (Who Moves? Who Stays Put? Where's Home? ) there is a larger influence of us/them in a rural village or town than in an urban one.  It's also the nature of where the jobs are for those that do move, far less jobs overall in a rural area so that area never sees large movement of people.

Even though in many areas Wal-Mart and other chains have moved through to displace entire town centers, the vast number of people don't see this as negative since their needs are being met a little bit cheaper; and why even walk through downtown when Lou Dobbs is on Fox every afternoon to reinforce your warped perception of reality (oops, time for my Wednesday evening church service to reinforce my stereotypes).

Although I don't agree with teeth's specific solutions to this, his identification of the issue is pretty well spot on.

You need far more drudgery and oppression and angst to start something like the rural incompetence in an urban setting since a lot of issues are addressed by a more diverse approach to situations from a variety of people in a variety of upbringings.  Only when things hit real rock-bottom do you get an LA Riot scenario.  But for every LA Riot, how many rural militia standoffs occur?

• ToThePoint
  • Needs a Life
  • search & destroy

Reply #16
The Urban/Homeless Divide (on the island)

Hawaii has the highest homeless rate per capita in the nation, according to federal statistics.
The Associated Press reports the state has 487 homeless per 100,000 people.  The number has risen since 2010, even as national rates have fallen.  Officials say the increase is due to rising costs in the islands, low wages, and limited land.
The state coordinator on homelessness says the population of unsheltered families ballooned 46 percent from 2014 to 2015. Scott Morishige says changes in public housing policy and mental health services contributed to the rise.

www.hawaiinewsnow.com story

BBC Our World 2017 - Homeless in Hawaii video.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqcJ_ZMG_pA
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Reply #17
The problem isn't the rural poor, it's the rich motherfuckers spreading propaganda, and setting poor against poor. The rich motherfuckers are scared, so they're stepping up their game, and doing so very effectively. Not that they haven't been doing it forever.
Propaganda for a century or more, and getting more sophisticated all the time. Where do these people get the false narratives regarding the 'easy money, free this and that, coddling' that they think minorities and immigrants receive? That evil fakery comes from somewhere.

It's easy to say 'Fox news, Breitbart, talk radio', but what causes them to buy into that bullshit?

In Canada it's at its worst when it's anything to do with First Nations people. Any suggestion they might be getting a helping hand from government and the racists are out of their closets and on the rant. White people often have absurd beliefs about why conditions on many reserves are terrible, and the slightest hint of scandal - chiefs/councils misdirecting money - and 'It's their own fault they have no water/housing/substance abuse problems'.

They never turn that accusing eye on their own communities, despite there probably not being a town or village anywhere that hasn't had similar bullshit happen to lesser or greater degree, and without the added difficulty of racism and generations of poverty and institutional abuse.

Sickens me.