Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Internet Home for Milquetoast Fence-Sitters.

Topic: Far Side inspired paleontologists  (Read 200 times) previous topic - next topic

• JonF
Far Side inspired paleontologists

"Thagomizer" is now widely used for the particular arrangement of spikes on some dinosaur's tails.

The Thagomizer
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

• JonF
Re: Far Side inspired paleontologists
Reply #1
Cf "horrendous Space Kablooie".

"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #2
 :parrot:

• MSG
Reply #3
I'm sad that thingodont and Montypythonoides did not survive as official scientific names for an enigmatic jawbone and an actual python skeleton found at Riversleigh in Queensland
braying among the ruins

• Fenrir
Reply #4
Eucritta melanolimnetes.

Still my favourite.
It's what plants crave.

Reply #5
Yes, Jenny was inordinately pleased with that one.

Given that The Creature from the Black Lagoon was - to my knowledge at least - the only horror/monster flick ever to be based upon the fish-tetrapod transition, I think it was a good call.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #6
The Big Bang was actually a term made up by detractors of the theory used to deride it.  It just kinda stuck.

And Tyrannosaurus is a damn good name.  Calvin can go fuck himself.

Reply #7
Its still not as cool sounding as Dynamosaurus imperiosus. Although T. rex is probably easier to remember.
Why do I bother?

• Peez
Reply #8
The Big Bang was actually a term made up by detractors of the theory used to deride it.  It just kinda stuck.
I would like to invoke Eccentrica Gallumbits here.

Peez