Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Some posts were moved to TCH.

Topic: Removing Assad (Read 3786 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Removing Assad
Reply #400
Yes, but it was much more like the events of WWII than anything else.
Why do I bother?

• linus
Reply #401

Reply #402
So our mercs fight there mercs?

• uncool
Reply #403
"Zero cost to the American taxpayer"

Why am I doubtful?

Reply #404
Dude, we can't lose, what can possibly go wrong?

Reply #405

Why am I doubtful?
Spoils of war. Sounds like he's not talking Geneva convention.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• nesb
Reply #406
I'm imagining self-funded volunteers liberating Syria in exchange for a remission of sins. But that's because I am a nerd who was recently on a crusades kick.

• uncool
Reply #407
I'm imagining self-funded volunteers liberating Syria in exchange for a remission of sins. But that's because I am a nerd who just got Crusader Kings
fify.

• nesb
Reply #408
Both of those things can be true.

Reply #409
Lol bringing back the privateer system

• uncool
Reply #410
The moral side of me feels pain every time I see this post.

So does the math side.

Reply #411

Why am I doubtful?
Spoils of war. Sounds like he's not talking Geneva convention.

Get big businesses to sponsor the war, and then sell footage of battles and the more interesting sort of war-crimes as pay-per-view TV?

Reply #412

So does the math side.

That would also fully fund the UN's refugee food program for about 28 months.

e: the good news is that after this bombing, there won't be any more refugees so we don't need to worry about feeding them!

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #413

So does the math side.

That would also fully fund the UN's refugee food program for about 28 months.

e: the good news is that after this bombing, there won't be any more refugees so we don't need to worry about feeding them!
The missiles were already paid for, and it's more a care of clearing out ageing inventory. Gotta make room for the newer mare sparkly toys.
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

Reply #414

Reply #415
that's what the US-Russia deconfliction hotlines are for, right? Tipping off the Syrians?

Reply #416
Turns out air strike campaigns are largely worthless, at least this particular incident didn't murder a bunch of civilians

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #417
that's what the US-Russia deconfliction hotlines are for, right? Tipping off the Syrians?
that and avoiding wwiii.  but you can't do one and avoid the other.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #418
Turns out air strike campaigns are largely worthless, at least this particular incident didn't murder a bunch of civilians
for certain chemical weapons, directing military campaigns and inspection / disarmament regimes against them is a big waste of time and money anyway*.  any chemistry student can make sarin in his basement with readily available supplies.  and any lifeguard can get you chlorine.  so even if you do succeed in destroying or seizing all a given bad guy has, they can make more, easily and without being detected.

not all of that is true of all chemical weapons.  e.g., VX and the novichuk agents are hard to come by, iirc.  but I believe assad mainly uses the cheap and easy agents.

eta: *in the sense that a determined bad guy can simply make more.  not a waste of time and money in that I believe using chemical weapons must have a punitive cost.
  • Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 11:10:14 AM by el jefe

Reply #419
that and avoiding wwiii.  but you can't do one and avoid the other.

Putin's not stupid. If his operations in Syria are hit in attempts to stop use of chemical weapons against civilians, he'll bluster but he won't actually engage in a direct war with the US. Doing what we've done, instead, is giving Russia a field test of their missile defense systems while letting Syria move any strategic stockpiles of the precise weapons we're supposedly trying to get rid of. It's dumb.