Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: if anyone on this site uses comic sans i will fucking murder them, is that perfectly clear, jb?

Topic: Smarter than your average bear (Read 1644 times) previous topic - next topic

• Monad
Re: Smarter than your average bear
Reply #75
Polar bears are outrageously cute as babies and unbelievably beautiful animals as adults.

Also will kill and eat you without a second thought if hungry.

But cutely :)

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #76

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #77
That Atlantic article... :cry:

But this:

"One bear was throwing chunks of ice in the water," Pagano said. The animal seemed to lift up a piece of ice above its head, stand on its hind legs, and chuck it into the water. "She did this repeatedly," he told me. "It's not clear why that individual was doing that."

Baiting seals?

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #78
Splishy splashing because why not.

• ffejrxx
Reply #79
or beating fish with ice

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
Reply #80
Splishy splashing because why not.
That's pretty much what I was thinking.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #81
It is International Polar Bear Day, so enjoy this video of a mama bear and her cubs sliding around:

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #82
Literally smarter than your average bear...

However, legislation against shooting mothers with cubs has provided a loophole of sorts - and the bears seem to have noticed, according to a team of international researchers who have spent decades studying Scandinavian brown bears.
In their study, published in the journal Nature Communications, the researchers conclude that females appear to have learned to protect themselves by sticking with their cubs for longer. Some have extended their time with cubs from 18 months to 30, increasing survival rates for both mom and offspring.
In the decade between 2005 and 2015, the number of mothers keeping their young with them for an extra year increased from seven percent to 36 percent.

https://www.treehugger.com/animals/how-mother-bears-sweden-our-outsmarting-hunters.html

Reply #83
"In an evolutionary perspective, this would not be beneficial," Swenson says. "The animals with the most offspring [are the most successful]."

I don't know - the moms who stay longer with their cubs survive to have more cubs.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #84
Yes, but human laws are fickle and can change much faster than the bears could develop new behaviours. Too many bears and Sweden could institute a limited mother kill/hunt.

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
Reply #85