Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: This is a good one for the memescape.

Topic: ursula le guin died (Read 219 times) previous topic - next topic

ursula le guin died
 :smith:

Re: ursula le guin died
Reply #1
this is sad

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #3
:smith:

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #4
I feel bereft.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #5

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #6
"Hard times are coming," she warned, "when we'll be wanting the voices of writers who can see alternatives to how we live now, can see through our fear-stricken society and its obsessive technologies to other ways of being, and even imagine real grounds for hope. We'll need writers who can remember freedom -- poets, visionaries, realists of a larger reality."
LeGuin, at the 2014 National Book Awards

http://wknofm.org/post/ursula-k-le-guin-whose-novels-plucked-truth-high-fantasy-dies-88

• Bilirubin
Reply #7

• Faid
Reply #8
Damn. Just the other day I was thinking about how Octavia Butler and Tanith Lee had died, but at least she was still going strong.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #9

• Bilirubin

• Bilirubin

• Faid
Reply #12
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/margaret-atwood-we-lost-ursula-le-guin-when-we-needed-her-most/2018/01/24/39372028-011b-11e8-bb03-722769454f82_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-cards_hp-card-arts%3Ahomepage%2Fcard&utm_term=.127edc4e29f9
When I finally got the brilliant and renowned writer Ursula K. Le Guin all to myself on a stage in Portland, some years ago, I asked her the question I'd always been longing to ask: "Where do the ones who walk away from Omelas go?" Tricky question! She changed the subject.
Sigh.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.