Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: The energy upon the mass

Topic: Really simple article for Dave that explains “Why cities?” (Read 277 times) previous topic - next topic

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
Really simple article for Dave that explains “Why cities?”
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

• RickB
Re: Really simple article for Dave that explains “Why cities?”
Reply #1

Reply #2
Why cities?

Because of corrupt Human Nature.

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #3
You didn't read the article.
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #4
He didn't need to; he already knew the answer.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Pingu
Reply #5
http://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/australian-economy/how-australias-cities-can-move-jobs-to-people-and-fix-our-traffic-nightmare/news-story/c4b66fa5f6b54712e00ebaeda1910730

From a conservative paper too. :D

Yes.

What the article doesn't say is that there is a lot of benefit in having the settlements at the grid crosspoints rather than inside the chess-squares.  Milton Keynes tried to do the chess square thing, and it's horrible.  Well, not very functional anyway.  Feels like there's no there there.

I worked on a project in Spain that tried the other approach - linking existing small settlements into a public transport grid, and building new settlements at the intersections.  With orchards and agriculture in the "chess squares" although they weren't exactly square (although interestingly, sort of squareish, because the existing settlement pattern was Roman).

The area was actually a triangle ("El Triangulo") with two coastal cities and an inland city at the corners. 

It  was an interesting project.  I must go back and see how it's doing.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #6
http://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/australian-economy/how-australias-cities-can-move-jobs-to-people-and-fix-our-traffic-nightmare/news-story/c4b66fa5f6b54712e00ebaeda1910730

Yes.

What the article doesn't say is that there is a lot of benefit in having the settlements at the grid crosspoints rather than inside the chess-squares.  Milton Keynes tried to do the chess square thing, and it's horrible.  Well, not very functional anyway.  Feels like there's no there there.

I worked on a project in Spain that tried the other approach - linking existing small settlements into a public transport grid, and building new settlements at the intersections.  With orchards and agriculture in the "chess squares" although they weren't exactly square (although interestingly, sort of squareish, because the existing settlement pattern was Roman).

The area was actually a triangle ("El Triangulo") with two coastal cities and an inland city at the corners. 

Tried to Google "el Triangulo". Found no useful Spanish hits. Details, please.

• Pingu
Reply #7

Yes.

Tried to Google "el Triangulo". Found no useful Spanish hits. Details, please.

The corners of the triangle are Alicante, Elche and Santa Polo.  The project was called El Triangulo.  They might have dropped that name.  It was about 30 years ago.

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
Reply #8
Hey Dave. Look at Pingu's posts. That's how you actually make a useful contribution to the thread.........unlike what you did.
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #9
Hey Dave. Look at Pingu's posts. That's how you actually make a useful contribution to the thread.........unlike what you did.
That would be tantamount to admitting that he's less likely than Pingu to contribute something useful to society (having grossly overestimated the impact of torturing and killing animals in a tiny pen being dragged around 10 acres in buttfuk, MO.)
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

• Pingu
Reply #10
  • Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 03:21:08 PM by Pingu

Reply #11
The corners of the triangle are Alicante, Elche and Santa Polo.  The project was called El Triangulo.  They might have dropped that name.  It was about 30 years ago.
(Marks map) Thanks!