Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: SteveF - A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.

Topic: Homo sapiens in Arabia by 85,000 years ago (Read 188 times) previous topic - next topic

Homo sapiens in Arabia by 85,000 years ago
In Nature (link to PDF)

Understanding the timing and character of the expansion of Homo sapiens out of Africa is critical for inferring the colonization and admixture processes that underpin global population history. It has been argued that dispersal out of Africa had an early phase, particularly ~130-90 thousand years ago (ka), that reached only the East Mediterranean Levant, and a later phase, ~60-50 ka, that extended across the diverse environments of Eurasia to Sahul. However, recent findings from East Asia and Sahul challenge this model. Here we show that H. sapiens was in the Arabian Peninsula before 85 ka. We describe the Al Wusta-1 (AW-1) intermediate phalanx from the site of Al Wusta in the Nefud desert, Saudi Arabia. AW-1 is the oldest directly dated fos-sil of our species outside Africa and the Levant. The palaeoenvironmental context of Al Wusta demonstrates that H. sapiens
using Middle Palaeolithic stone tools dispersed into Arabia during a phase of increased precipitation driven by orbital forcing, in association with a primarily African fauna. A Bayesian model incorporating independent chronometric age estimates indicates a chronology for Al Wusta of ~95-86 ka, which we correlate with a humid episode in the later part of Marine Isotope Stage 5 known from various regional records. Al Wusta shows that early dispersals were more spatially and temporally extensive than previously thought. Early H. sapiens dispersals out of Africa were not limited to winter rainfall-fed Levantine Mediterranean woodlands immediately adjacent to Africa, but extended deep into the semi-arid grasslands of Arabia, facilitated by periods of enhanced monsoonal rainfall.

PopSci ABC

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Re: Homo sapiens in Arabia by 85,000 years ago
Reply #1
iirc, there's been a theory floating around for a while that the earlier crossing may even have happened at the horn of Africa rather than the sinai

Reply #2
Ha, the paper is being hotly debated over at "socrates'" thread. I posted the link before I realised that the crowd over there was way ahead of me.

Reply #3
iirc, there's been a theory floating around for a while that the earlier crossing may even have happened at the horn of Africa rather than the sinai

I thought this was widely accepted?

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #4
yeah maybe.  idek

• MSG
Reply #5
I wouldn't say it has wide acceptance, although it is a possible route. There's little evidence for use of boats, especially marine voyages, before the advent of anatomically modern humans.

On the other hand, the consensus seems to be Homo floresiensis is descended from H erectus, and it definitely needed a sea crossing to reach Flores.
braying among the ruins

Reply #6
I wouldn't say it has wide acceptance, although it is a possible route. There's little evidence for use of boats, especially marine voyages, before the advent of anatomically modern humans.

On the other hand, the consensus seems to be Homo floresiensis is descended from H erectus, and it definitely needed a sea crossing to reach Flores.

Being able to lash some logs together and make a raft seems less advanced than controlling and maintaining fire, which H. erectus could do.  Hell, I've never made fire from scratch yet, but I've tied plenty of shit together.

• MSG
Reply #7
I'd reckon a voyage across the Sumba Strait, or the Red Sea, would need something more robust than a few logs strung together
braying among the ruins

Reply #8
There was a hypothesis that a migration happened when the water level of the Red Sea was much lower that today. However, this paper seems to contradict it.

http://www.highstand.org/erohling/Rohling-papers/2006-Fernandes%20et%20al%20J%20Biogeography.pdf