Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Why God made tag clouds.

Topic: Official 2016 election thread (3rd party edition) (Read 961 times) previous topic - next topic

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Re: Official 2016 election thread (3rd party edition)
Reply #25

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #26
So she immediately starts out with forgive student debt, and goes into asthma, diabetes and food supply.  I think it's hard for her not to scream out GMOs cause teh autisms and vaccines are killing our kids, but she manages not cross that line.
Her running mate is a black guy named Ajamu Baraka. 

Oh god she went with "we the people".  She also has to keep clearing her throat and saying "excuse me" each time.  That's not distracting at all.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #27
blah blah Hillary's email server blah blah (the host brought it up, so can't fault Jill there but she went with "ya can't trust her with classified info or the nuclear button).

The host calls out Baraka for his prior rhetoric against Obama.  I'm not familiar with the guy at all, so I don't know what he's referring to.   Both Baraka and Stein did a reasonable job of downplaying whatever it was they were referring to.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #28
First question from the audience, Sanders supporter who won't vote Trump but has doubts about Hillary.  "Why should I vote for you?"

Jill: Blah blah blah the system is rigged, Revolution revolution revolution, blah blah blah, Bernie got screwed.

Baraka:  "I wanted to feel the Bern, I really did." 
Host: back to attacks on his prior rhetoric against Sanders now.

Fuck this, I don't think I can do it anymore.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #29
Host, in introducing the next audience question points out that Baraka is the only person in the running that has served in the military, that's is actually pretty astonishing.

Stein wants to shut down all/most (???) of the foreign military bases. Her goal is to shut down all bases, but she's open to being convinced to keep a few open. She wants to seriously reduce the military budget.
  • Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:19:17 PM by SkepticTank

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #30
Question on Stein's religion.  Answer:  She grew up devoutly Jewish, but now she's ambiguous but her morals are inspired by the OT.

Ooh, another doc pushes the anti-vax buttons.  Stein claims her prior statements were taken out of context.  Now she supports the vaccine schedule (with some weaseling).  Mostly dodging, but claims she's pro-science, but just asking questions when it comes to concerns about mental health issues.

45 minute break:  Hilariously, unashamedly Pro-Trump commercial asking people to phone in and press 1 for Trump and 2 for Clinton, and literally says please vote multiple times.  Begging for 5 million people to call in and respond pro-trump.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #31
"How can you sleep at night if you help get Trump elected?"

Stein: (paraphrase) I will have trouble getting either elected, then she goes into attacks on Hillary.  As disturbing as Trump is, Hillary's track record sucks too.  Reject the lesser evil and fight for the greater good.

"can you actually win in the corrupt rigged system"?

No it's not possible, blah blah blah corporate, blah blah blah ... 43 million young people trapped in student debt, we'll bail them out like wall street was bailed out, So if those 43 million people wake the fuck up and elect us we can save them (more awkward throat clearing; not sure if that's some kind of tell).

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #32
It's almost done, I promise!

Host brings back up the 43 Million people with student debt.
Erasing student debt, how could you do it?  How How How?

Stein:  We found a way to bail out Wall St., if we can do that to those fuckers who crashed the economy, we can do it to our younger generation, blah blah blah. Social changes, they move us forward. 

Host:  Banks actually repaid the loans (at very low interest) so that's not a fair comparison.

Stein: "it's easy for the banks to repay the loans..." ... and my recording cut off.

• MikeS
Reply #33
Jill Who?

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #34
:golfclap:

Reply #35
Actually, banks did not actually 'repay' the loans. They called in massive amounts of unused credit they had on their books and swapped some toothless regulatory hurdles and debt between them and said some very flattering things to some people and that's where we are today unless things have changed a lot this year.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #36
Apparently, among Texas voters, Stein is tied with Harambe, but trails ...

( . . .  wait for it . . . )

Deez Nuts.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #37

Reply #38

Reply #39
Oh yeah.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #40
don't knock down any walls, kool aid man

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #41
  • Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 07:44:14 AM by ravenscape

Reply #42
Willing to wager a guess that most Johnson supporters don't know what Aleppo is, and if they do, they don't want a president who'd consider intervening there.

So.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #43
Just the fact that it's got him in the news today might actually be good for him.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #44
Johnson apologizes for brain fart.

Wait, what? Politicians aren't supposed to apologize -- unless it's one of those sorry-not-sorry deals that precede yet another rant about why the opposing candidate is a dangerous cretin.

Johnson, though, can't shut his yap about saying "What's Aleppo?" Thursday on MSNBC when asked about the war-ravaged Syrian city. He apologized in a statement, told "The View" he had "no excuse," and when I saw him at an event in Philadelphia on Monday, he said to me, "Well, at least you know how to find Aleppo on a map!"

Reply #45
Just the fact that it's got him in the news today might actually be good for him.
I think so. This really could be a good year for 3rd party politics.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #46
NH Union Leader endorses Johnson

It IS the 'Live Free or Die' state, so not terribly surprising.

• linus
Reply #47

• Pingu
Reply #48
I think so. This really could be a good year for 3rd party politics.

It's never a good year for 3rd party politics.  Not until you have something other than FPP.  This year you it could deliver a fascist with poor impulse control.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #49
Poor Johnson
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/09/28/gary-johnson-has-aleppo-moment-when-asked-to-name-favorite-foreign-leader/

"It's been almost 24 hours ... and I still can't come up with a foreign leader I look up to," Johnson tweeted defiantly Thursday.

haha