Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Who gets to post memescape?

Topic: I thought it was just a joke (Read 795 times) previous topic - next topic

I thought it was just a joke
But it's not. SpaceX's 1st Falcon Heavy Rocket Readies for Launch

Elon_Musk's_Tesla_Roadster
The car will be launched in January 2018 with the first Falcon Heavy on elliptical orbit around the Sun. There were conflicting reports that the payload was "made up", but Musk and many SpaceX employees later clarified that the payload is legitimate. According to Elon Musk, it could stay drifting in space for one billion years. The sound system onboard the car will play the song Space Oddity by David Bowie and there will be a copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in the glovebox, along with a towel and a sign saying Don't Panic.
I hope they welded the wheels on, and any other parts that might shake loose and damage the rocket during ascent. I want to see the landing sequence of the three reusable boosters, but that won't happen if it comes apart at launch. On the other hand, I think it's safe to assume the payload will be seen in the live video stream, as with most non-classified missions. I wonder if there will be any unexpected effects of exposing the car to space. Are the seats padded with closed-cell foam, perhaps? That could be amusing.

• Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:22:49 AM by Autonemesis

• Faid
Re: I thought it was just a joke
Reply #1
Ok this is just stupid.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• MikeS
Reply #2

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #3
Ok this is just stupid.

Stupid and typical dumb rich man gesture: "Haha I'm so cool."

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #4
Ok this is just stupid.

What would you have chosen to put in there?
Why would your choice be any better than Musk's?
Are we there yet?

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #5
Ok this is just stupid.

What would you have chosen to put in there?
Why would your choice be any better than Musk's?

I did not say I'd even suggest something. I'm sure lots of people professionally involved with extraplanetary endeavours would have better ideas.

Sending a goddamned car to Mars (originally he wanted it to orbit mars, but now he's just going to dump it nearby) is just a perpetual advertisement that serves no purpose other than to promote the sales of Teslas. Just more space junk.

Reply #6
Ok this is just stupid.

It's not about "cool".  The motivation was what was the craziest thing they could put on the rocket.  The car is little more than .1% of the cost of the launch.

• MSG
Reply #7
there's a very fine distinction I may be missing here
braying among the ruins

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #8
Ok this is just stupid.

It's not about "cool".  The motivation was what was the craziest thing they could put on the rocket.  The car is little more than .1% of the cost of the launch.

How is a car 'the craziest thing' etc? It's a car. It's not, for example, an outrageously 'crazy' work of art, or a device that allows the sound of a thousand elephants conversing to be played in a vacuum, or a virtual flea circus. A. Car.

The cost is irrelevant, really, other than 'rich man can do what he wants.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #9
Damn straight
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #10
Ok this is just stupid.

How is a car 'the craziest thing' etc? It's a car. It's not, for example, an outrageously 'crazy' work of art, or a device that allows the sound of a thousand elephants conversing to be played in a vacuum, or a virtual flea circus. A. Car.

The cost is irrelevant, really, other than 'rich man can do what he wants.

A car is so totally out of place in space.

• ffejrxx
Reply #11
its a car with the most space, but no air and a radio thats always muted

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #12
A chair is so totally out of place in space. Or a toaster. Or a sewing machine.

A car just sounds like an homage to Heavy Metal. This one:

from this film:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Metal_(film)

• ffejrxx
Reply #13

Reply #14

• Spode
  • I'm sorry.
Reply #15
Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow.

• nesb
Reply #16
It's just an advertisement. This is where we are.

Reply #17
10 minutes to something awesome. Either it works, or it explodes, but it will be awesome either way.

Reply #18
OK, the bottom two views were not from each of the two boosters. Both were from the same booster. Someone got confused about what stream to put in each box and ended up duplicating the view from one booster.

Reply #19
It also looks like the center booster failed to land on the drone ship. Replaying the live feed, I can see the drone ship feed on a screen in the background. When the interrupted stream resumes, I can see the smoke clear and it looks like the landing pad is empty. There also might be something in the water to the left that is smoking.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #20
Really?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #21
https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/31/spacexs-rocket-booster-survived-descent-despite-no-landing-attempt/

Despite not planning a recovery attempt, the center booster came down in close to one piece

Reply #22
https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/31/spacexs-rocket-booster-survived-descent-despite-no-landing-attempt/

Despite not planning a recovery attempt, the center booster came down in close to one piece

That was not the core booster from today's launch. That was from the GovSat-1 launch on January 31.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNP4J8E734A

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #23
I for one am happy nothing blew up during the launch.
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #25

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #26

The payload is something like 140,000#, I think that might accommodate at least 700 people. I nominate instead the top leadership(?) of the Republican Party.
Are we there yet?

• ffejrxx
Reply #27

The payload is something like 140,000#, I think that might accommodate at least 700 people. I nominate instead the top leadership(?) of the Republican Party.
even if they all lied about their mass as much as trumps doc did, the falcon heavy would still have more than enough payload for all of them

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #28

even if they all lied about their mass as much as trumps doc did, the falcon heavy would still have more than enough payload for all of them
Well, maybe not all. But as I suggested, at least the top 600 or so. A lot of those buggers are pretty hefty. But there's a whole lot of them, way more than that. However, we could use more then one Falcon.

Of course, this would be for purely scientific purposes.
Are we there yet?

• ffejrxx
Reply #29

Well, maybe not all. But as I suggested, at least the top 600 or so. A lot of those buggers are pretty hefty. But there's a whole lot of them, way more than that. However, we could use more then one Falcon.

Of course, this would be for purely scientific purposes.
crap, if there are more than 600 we may need to use just their heads as the payload
then use the mega super heavy to return their bodies

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #30
Best part of the plan is even if something goes wrong with the launch or any part of the mission, it's still a win.
Are we there yet?

• ffejrxx
Reply #31
worst case scenario
rocket misses the sun, aliens find the heads and bodies, then re-assemble and revive them
alien govt run by republican zombies and we all lose

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #32
worst case scenario
rocket misses the sun, aliens find the heads and bodies, then re-assemble and revive them
alien govt run by republican zombies and we all lose
OK, I'll grant that might be possible, but seriously improbable.
I'd bet donuts to dumbshits any aliens capable of accomplishing the above would not bother, unless, of course, they were seriously sadistic and had a really twisted sense of humor.
Are we there yet?

• ffejrxx
Reply #33
but on a plus note, dave might finally change his mind about them

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #34
but on a plus note, dave might finally change his mind about them
Would that be the aliens or zombies?
Are we there yet?

• ffejrxx
Reply #35
republicans

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #36
republicans
Nah. Not possible, even if they were alien gay married child molesting zombies from Hell, he wouldn't change his mind about them. They're republicans and that's all that counts.
Are we there yet?

Reply #37
Tesla roadster spotted with ground-based telescope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93vwlvC9whM

Reply #38

This inspirational video includes two short clips of the center booster taking a plunge into the ocean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FZIwabctw