Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talkrational: accommodationist hidey-hole

Topic: The Nassar/USA Gymnastics/MSU Sexual Abuse Scandal (Read 406 times) previous topic - next topic

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
The Nassar/USA Gymnastics/MSU Sexual Abuse Scandal
Has anyone been following this story?

It is fucking unbelievable how many people let this piece of shit get away with abusing so many girls and women.

I mean, look at this shit:
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/01/nassar_victim_describes_tellin.html

Boyce said she was uncomfortable with his treatments, which include vaginal penetration, and she and a teammate getting the same treatments went to Klages with their concerns.

"This could have stopped in 1997," Boyce said. "But instead of notifying authorities or even my parents, we were interrogated. We were led to believe we were misunderstanding a medical technique.

Unlike many Nassar victims who did not talk to others about his treatments, "I told somebody," Boyce said. "I told an adult. I told Michigan State University. Instead of being protected, I was humiliated and told that I was the problem."

Boyce said she didn't realize that Nassar and Klages were close friends. "If I had known, I would have never gone to her," Boyce told Nassar. "She choose you over me."

In fact, Boyce said, Klages told Nassar about Boyce's concerns, and at Boyce's next appointment with Nassar, "pulled up a stool and said, 'so, I talked to Kathie ..."

"I had to listen to you explain away your abuse," Boyce told Nassar in the courtroom. "I apologized to you. I apologized for the misunderstanding and said it was all my fault.

[...]

Klages could not be reached for comment. She retired from the university in February 2017, a day after she was suspended by MSU for defending Nassar to her team even after he was fired in September 2016. That included asking her team to sign a sympathy card for him, according to Lindsey Lemke, a MSU gymnast who is among the lawsuit plaintiffs.

Over 100 women have come forward to give witness impact statements, and that fucking monster had the gall to complain to the judge that he didn't have the "mental stamina" to listen to all of them.

All but 1 of the 5 gymnasts on the 2012 London team and half the 2016 team have come forward, and McKayla Maroney had apparently signed a confidentiality agreement with USA Gymnastics to keep quiet, but she spoke up anyway. Aly Raisman wasn't going to personally deliver her statement, but she ended up doing it: https://deadspin.com/aly-raisman-is-ready-to-burn-it-all-down-1822234455

It's just stomach-churning to think that while these girls were under tremendous pressure at the defining moments of their careers, at an event they spent their whole lives trying to get to, they were also being molested by a fucking monster, and their organization knew about it and decided to cover it up and let it keep happening, instead. They just protected one lousy fucking doctor over all of these girls to try to cover their own ass, but it's not like he was going to get away with it forever. Sooner or later, he was going to get caught.

To be honest, I'm also a little surprised this isn't getting as much attention as the Penn State Sandusky scandal, but we are living in interesting times where there's a ton of horrible news stories every single day all competing for attention.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Re: The Nassar/USA Gymnastics/MSU Sexual Abuse Scandal
Reply #1
but we are living in interesting times where there's a ton of horrible news stories every single day all competing for attention.

There you have it.

However, I think enough attention is being paid, and enough survivors are coming forward, and enough of the enablers and shamers are being shamed themselves(and hopefully prosecuted and/or sued into poverty), that a real turning point may have been reached.

And that's why there's been such an uptick in terrified cries from the MRA communities and their even worse satellites about the horrors of false! rape! accusations! There's a lot of guilty feelings floating around in that quagmire, and they can't depend on their victims staying quiet any more.

• nesb
Reply #2
They've been covering this pretty closely on my local NPR station. At least on the local show. People at MSU fucked up something fierce.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #3
Haven't seen much out here. I'm not arguing it hasn't been covered, but I remember the Sandusky story being all over the place. Also probably has something to do with the fact that it was FOOTBALL HELL YEAH FOOTBALL!!!!! versus gymnastics.

Still, it's amazing how this literally went to the top of the sport and affected just about every big name athlete in addition to the countless students at MSU. Like, the entire goddamn Olympic team was molested at the Olympics by this guy, and people knew about it. The extent of this scandal is unlike anything I've ever seen in sports.

https://thinkprogress.org/larry-nassar-enablers-c46b8ceb5200/

Reply #4
to be honest, I think part of the reason it's not getting the interest it deserves is because everyone kinda assumed that there was some shitty abuse going on in gymnastics anyways, and we already knew that much of the culture around gymnastics was highly abusive and exploitative of these kids, even if we didn't know there was sexual abuse involved as well.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #5
Haven't seen much out here. I'm not arguing it hasn't been covered, but I remember the Sandusky story being all over the place. Also probably has something to do with the fact that it was FOOTBALL HELL YEAH FOOTBALL!!!!! versus gymnastics.

Still, it's amazing how this literally went to the top of the sport and affected just about every big name athlete in addition to the countless students at MSU. Like, the entire goddamn Olympic team was molested at the Olympics by this guy, and people knew about it. The extent of this scandal is unlike anything I've ever seen in sports.

https://thinkprogress.org/larry-nassar-enablers-c46b8ceb5200/

I read that. The whole thing is fucking disgusting and distressing.

Reply #6
I think the fact that it was football and the victims were boys has everything to do with it #patriarchy

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #7
to be honest, I think part of the reason it's not getting the interest it deserves is because everyone kinda assumed that there was some shitty abuse going on in gymnastics anyways, and we already knew that much of the culture around gymnastics was highly abusive and exploitative of these kids, even if we didn't know there was sexual abuse involved as well.

Okay, but everyone assumes there's shitty abuse in college football with kids being chewed up and spit out and getting traumatic brain injuries with permanent damage for the chance to either pay for school or maybe get drafted and earn a lot of money in the NFL. The culture around youth football is also exploitative.

I mean, one sport is overwhelmingly more popular and widespread, and I think that explains most of it, but I guess I'm still shocked at how horrible this whole story is. Like, this motherfucker has abused just about everyone, from the local teenagers who trained in Michigan to college students to national and world champions to the most recognizable faces of the sport who were on fucking cereal boxes with their Olympic gold medals. It's incredible.

• nesb
Reply #8
Yeah. The sports analyst guy on Stateside--a local radio show about Michigan stuff--said this was worse than Penn State. I agree this needs more national news coverage, because never again should someone under investigation for sexual abuse, be allowed access to people to sexually abuse. It's fucking absurd. The whole situation is just so fucked up.

Reply #9
I think the fact that it was football and the victims were boys has everything to do with it #patriarchy
Yeah
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #10

Okay, but everyone assumes there's shitty abuse in college football with kids being chewed up and spit out and getting traumatic brain injuries with permanent damage for the chance to either pay for school or maybe get drafted and earn a lot of money in the NFL. The culture around youth football is also exploitative.

I mean, one sport is overwhelmingly more popular and widespread, and I think that explains most of it, but I guess I'm still shocked at how horrible this whole story is. Like, this motherfucker has abused just about everyone, from the local teenagers who trained in Michigan to college students to national and world champions to the most recognizable faces of the sport who were on fucking cereal boxes with their Olympic gold medals. It's incredible.

It's definitely fucking horrible. What I mean to say though is that it's pretty widespread knowledge that girls' gymnastics, particularly at the highest levels, involves dragging young teenagers away from their families and away from a normal life and putting them through physical hell to give them a shot at maybe competing on a national level. And we know that gymnastics as a sport is so age sensitive that no one sticks around at a competitive level for more than one olympic cycle, so it's a total meat grinder. We have also all known at least one creep who constantly talks about these girls in sexual terms, despite the fact that many of the girls competing in these events are under 18. So I think everyone has kind of suspected that there was some level of sexual violence against these athletes. That one single trainer committed violence at that scale is surprising, but no one really thought the US gymnastics system was clean (or any similar national athletic team that draws on child talent, really).

With the Sandusky situation, I think that was received differently because no one was hanging around middle-school football practice saying "man I wanna bang little Timmy" so the idea that little Timmy might be a victim of sexual violence came out of left field. If it was physical abuse alone, I think that most people would have received it exactly how they're receiving the Nasser revelations, because they'd have heard people voice the opinion that little Timmy needed to harden the fuck up and learn to shake off a hit.

Realistically, I'm sure that every sport that heavily recruits young kids and sends them off to travel with a coaching staff for long periods of time has a similar scandal waiting to be uncovered. The way we do athletic development really empowers shitheads like this guy and allows them to hurt a lot of vulnerable kids.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #11
Judge Rosemarie Aquilina tells Nasser how his life ends:

The former sports doctor who admitted molesting some of the nation's top gymnasts for years under the guise of medical treatment was sentenced Wednesday to 40 to 175 years in prison by a judge who proudly told him, "I just signed your death warrant."
The sentence capped a remarkable seven-day hearing in which more than 150 of Larry Nassar's victims offered statements about the physician who was renowned for treating athletes at the sport's highest levels. Some confronted him face to face in the Michigan courtroom.
"It is my honor and privilege to sentence you. You do not deserve to walk outside a prison ever again. You have done nothing to control those urges and anywhere you walk, destruction will occur to those most vulnerable," Judge Rosemarie Aquilina said.
Nassar's actions were "precise, calculated, manipulative, devious, despicable," she said.

The judge praised the victims who appeared in her court, calling them "sister survivors." The women included Olympians Aly Raisman, Jordyn Wieber and McKayla Maroney.
The judge also called for a broader investigation into how the abuse was allowed to go on for so long. She said justice "requires more" than what she can do.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/international/ct-larry-nassar-gymnastics-sentencing-20180124-story.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark