Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talkrational: To me it is above all an honest site: honest fun, honest kindness (a lot of it, once you start looking), honest anger, honest stupidity, honest lunacy, honest hostility, honest viciousness. Honest brawls and meltdowns. Altogether a remarkably interesting - if sometimes downright disturbing - bunch of people speaking their minds.

Topic: I cut the cable cord yesterday (Read 412 times) previous topic - next topic

• ksen
I cut the cable cord yesterday
I called our cable company and turned off cable tv yesterday.

It took almost half an hour and 3 transfers but they finally turned it off for me.

:feelsgoodman:

Re: I cut the cable cord yesterday
Reply #1
I don't even own a tv.

Reply #2
^humblebrag

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #3
it's okay, ksen, with everyone making their own streaming service, we'll soon have a new version of cable to learn to hate all over again

• ksen
Reply #4
I know, but I can enjoy these few months at least.

• ToThePoint
  • search & destroy
Reply #5

That's what they all say... in the beginning. Then the withdrawal symptoms start to creep in, somewhat benign at first. But eventually reaching full throttle rather quickly. 

Similar to heavy-use cannabis cold-turkey withdrawal, you will experience intense vivid dreams during your sleeping hours. Juxtapose this to the excessive boredom you will experience during your conscious hours. Your life spirals into existential crisis...  and the foundations of your life become shaky & transient.

Only then, you truly realize the full scale of your cable tv addiction.

"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

• ksen
Reply #6
But I cut the cord because I never watched it in the first place. In fact I always felt a burning rage swelling up inside me when I watched shows on regular cable channels with my wife because of the lameness and commercial interruptions.

Reply #7
sure it wasn't just the std?

• ksen
Reply #8
Pretty sure, I mean I felt that way before the std too.

Reply #9
when we cut the cord, we tried to watch a sitcom on broadcast tv, first commercial i was nope and turned it off

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #10
You can get a DVR for broadcast channels.

Reply #11
that would cost money, plus we can only get like 2 major and then a bunch of weird shit plus 5 jesus stations

Reply #12
Non cable sitcoms and dramas are basically garbage anyway.

• ksen
Reply #13
Update: Day 1.16 and the shakes are still manageable. Had to get my morning weather off my phone.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #14
Non cable sitcoms and dramas are basically garbage anyway.

The Good Place is pretty good, but I'm a season behind so I can't watch new episodes.

The only thing I really watch on TV is Jeopardy, but now that they've got the Republican gubernatorial primary ads going, I have to be disciplined about hitting the mute button when I see that goofy ass Mango motherfucker with his BLAHBLAHBLAH I WAS AN ARMY RANGER ad or the other dumbass. Local ads are the worst.

Reply #15
TV Jeopardy is actually inferior to Alexa Jeopardy. 

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #16
being on actual Jeopardy > TV Jeopardy > spying-robot-Jeopardy

Reply #17

That's what they all say... in the beginning. Then the withdrawal symptoms start to creep in, somewhat benign at first. But eventually reaching full throttle rather quickly. 

Similar to heavy-use cannabis cold-turkey withdrawal, you will experience intense vivid dreams during your sleeping hours. Juxtapose this to the excessive boredom you will experience during your conscious hours. Your life spirals into existential crisis...  and the foundations of your life become shaky & transient.

Only then, you truly realize the full scale of your cable tv addiction.

You are a bunch of interesting dudes.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor