Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: Richard Dawkins would never post here

Topic: Mary Beard ‘cut’ from US version of Civilisations for ‘being an old lady - maybe (Read 317 times) previous topic - next topic

• borealis
  • Administrator
Mary Beard ‘cut’ from US version of Civilisations for ‘being an old lady - maybe
via facetious at MR:

Mary Beard has been excised from much of her screen time in the American version of the BBC series Civilisations because of an aversion to showing "a slightly creaky old lady with long grey hair", she has suggested.
Professor Beard, 63, who co-presented the series with Simon Schama and David Olusoga, said that she was "rather sad" about the decision, which was taken without her consent.
She wrote on Twitter in response to a review of the American version by the Wall Street Journal, which described the PBS broadcast as "anodyne".
She told her 192,000 followers: "Really hope that friends in USA realise that my Civilisations episodes on PBS are very different from original BBC versions, have been drastically changed. The originals were far from 'anodyne' I promise."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mary-beard-cut-from-us-version-of-civilisations-for-being-an-old-lady-g3l3dr5wb?shareToken=d055d149b190535c162ed02467cc8f40

Re: Mary Beard ‘cut’ from US version of Civilisations for ‘being an old lady - maybe
Reply #1
I don't get why you'd bother editing that kind of thing like that. It seems completely pointless to me.
Why do I bother?

• Fenrir
Re: Mary Beard ‘cut’ from US version of Civilisations for ‘being an old lady - maybe
Reply #2
I don't get why you'd bother editing that kind of thing like that. It seems completely pointless to me.

Because it's unviewable without a Kardashian or a cheezy competition thats all about the celebrity judges. Totes obv.
It's what plants crave.

• Monad
Reply #3
For her programme on religion, the broadcaster altered it to make it more focused on Christianity, she said.

• ksen
Reply #4
Just have her played by Maggie Smith.

Reply #5
Aren't slightly creaky old ladies with long grey hair PBS's target audience?