Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• You have an unprecedented ability to fool yourself with the most transparent bullshit.

Topic: Alfie Evans (Read 3005 times) previous topic - next topic

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Re: Alfie Evans
Reply #325
In other news, Donald Trump Isn't a businessman.
OK.  Point taken.
He's a con-man, grifter, and mob associate.
But aren't we splitting hairs here?
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #326
You seem to perceive a rather difficult case as a much simpler narrative. You seem to have turned a difficult medical/ethical/legal decision into a much more basic story: one where deluded technocrats are infringing on the freedoms of people whose homespun wisdom should prevail.

And just look at the rules you propose:

1: Parents should always be allowed to make all medical decision for their children
2: Courts can only intervene when parents are intentionally doing harm.

Examples in which these rules would allow deadly harm have already been pointed out to you.

Nevertheless, you seem to persist. Apparently you continue to prefer the simpler version, even though it is obviously inadequate.

In a similar way you still prefer your simpler description of this whole case, even though a lot of facts which are available to you do not fit that description. You even seem to arbitrarily reject some of them (people are probably lying about the extent of the brain-damage) in order to preserve this simple narrative.

Why do you think this is?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #327
You seem to perceive a rather difficult case as a much simpler narrative. You seem to have turned a difficult medical/ethical/legal decision into a much more basic story: one where deluded technocrats are infringing on the freedoms of people whose homespun wisdom should prevail.

1: Parents should always be allowed to make all medical decision for their children

Examples in which these rules would allow deadly harm have already been pointed out to you.

Nevertheless, you seem to persist. Apparently you continue to prefer the simpler version, even though it is obviously inadequate.

In a similar way you still prefer your simpler description of this whole case, even though a lot of facts which are available to you do not fit that description. You even seem to arbitrarily reject some of them (people are probably lying about the extent of the brain-damage) in order to preserve this simple narrative.

It is Bluffy's primary mode of operation. Simplicity because he can't handle complexity. Not in science, not in politics, not in religion, not in philosophy, not in personal relationships. It all gets reduced to sound bites and video clips, slogans and chants, posters and tweets.
Are we there yet?

• Pingu
Reply #328
And Big Buttons.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #329

It is Bluffy's primary mode of operation. Simplicity because he can't handle complexity. Not in science, not in politics, not in religion, not in philosophy, not in personal relationships. It all gets reduced to sound bites and video clips, slogans and chants, posters and tweets.

Shocking considering he's a simpleton

Reply #330
And Big Buttons.
And some=none or all
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Zombies!
  • These violent delights have violent ends.
Reply #331
Now you are lying. I didn't demonize Borealis because I disagree with her position. I demonized her because of her blatant lying about the Pope's involvement. To be fair, she's not an actual demon. But I do want her to realize the seriousness of lying.
Dave, have you figured out where you went wrong with the  post above?  Do you understand that she not only did she not blatantly lie, she did not lie at all.
You made another false accusation.  You lied.
You owe her an apology.
I really should call your department head and tell him or her how badly you are behaving while posing as a credentialed professional scientist.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #332
And Big Buttons.
Well, of course. Big Buttons are fabulous.

I used to have this calculator that was really thin and measured about 8" wide by 12" high. With a BIG display and really BIG buttons. I liked it. Got broken moving or something. Or the display failed. I don't remember. I didn't use it a lot except for when clients were around and I wanted to show them my "high tech". I'd tell them I needed the BIG buttons and display because my eyes were failing.
Are we there yet?

Reply #333
Has dave answered how he feels about the inverse situation ie doctors want to keep child on life support but parents want to take him off.

(I'm guessing he hasn't/ won't. AFDave's laws and all)

Reply #334
Why did a court even get involved at all?  When I was raising my kids *I* and *my wife* made the decisions regarding their treatment.
Again ... THIS is my question.  ^^^^ in bold.

Here's the decision. I know you rarely read such things, but it's here if you want to seek answers as to what justification was given:

https://www.supremecourt.uk/docs/in-the-matter-of-alfie-evans-court-order.pdf

Reply #335
Has dave answered how he feels about the inverse situation ie doctors want to keep child on life support but parents want to take him off.

(I'm guessing he hasn't/ won't. AFDave's laws and all)
Two weeks now, and your prediction still holds.

Reply #336

Do they know of cases like Alfie's where the patient recovered fully? 
No.

Probably not the same thing, but still pause for thought. . .just this past May 7.

Boy Declared Brain Dead Shocks Doctors by Coming Back to Life after Parents Sign Organ Donation Papers
"When a true genius appears in this world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." (Jonathan Swift)

Reply #337
No, its not the same thing as in the Alfie Evans case at all.
Why do I bother?