Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: less funny that it used to be

Topic: Memorial Day (Read 2083 times) previous topic - next topic

Memorial Day
Ok here's a topic ...

I hear all these preachers tearfully saying things like ...

"Oh I'm so thankful for those service boys who died in battle so that we could worship in freedom."

Really?

No soldiers fought any wars during Roman times to secure freedom of worship.

Freedom of worship was secured during that time by ...

[Drum roll]

LOVE

Not war.

What say you?

Re: Memorial Day
Reply #1
Because Constantine won the Battle of the Milvian Bridge through the power of hugging.
Why do I bother?

• uncool
Reply #2
"Freedom of worship was secured during that time"
:facepalm:

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #3
wtf is Hawkins on about now ?
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• uncool
Reply #4
Dave, do you have any idea what sect your Christianity derives from?

If I remember correctly, you consider yourself Protestant, and you have tendencies towards the American-born churches (Baptist, Anabaptist, etc.).

• uncool
Reply #5
Pacifism. Which would be admirable, but he's justifying it in the worst possible way.

Reply #6
Because Constantine won the Battle of the Milvian Bridge through the power of hugging.
Freedom of worship was not secured by Constantine. Sorry try again.

• uncool
Reply #7
By what time do you think it was secured?

Reply #8
Pacifism. Which would be admirable, but he's justifying it in the worst possible way.
Love is bad?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #9
The kind of "love" that incorporates rooting for the execution of politicians you don't like?
Yeah. That's bad.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #10
Before I answer ... let me remind you what Jesus said secures freedom ...

TRUTH

"Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free."

• uncool
Reply #11
This ought to be good.

Reply #12
So who was is secured by?

And I'd note that once the Christians took over completely they very quickly went the other way and prevented the various pagan sects and mystery cults from worshipping freely. Not a lot of "love" going on there was there? Just ask Hypatia.
Why do I bother?

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #13
Interesting at least. Dave tends to shy away from theology, in spite of his lame defense of YEC.

Lol, you should read The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, Dave. There are many allusions to some of the oldest seeds of Protestantism, though long before such a word was even thought of, all contained within a novel, so no dusty tomes for you to read.

Reply #14
Interesting at least. Dave tends to shy away from theology, in spite of his lame defense of YEC.

Lol, you should read The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, Dave. There are many allusions to some of the oldest seeds of Protestantism, though long before such a word was even thought of, all contained within a novel, so no dusty tomes for you to read.
So many words though.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• uncool
Reply #15

TRUTH

Well, Dave?

• uncool
Reply #16
:badger:

Reply #17
If you're going to spam that stupid badger picture, would you at least pick one that doesn't totally nuke the entire screen on my phone? Thanks.

Reply #18
Or resize it smaller or something.

Reply #19
How about answering questions put to you so people don't feel the need to?
Why do I bother?

Reply #20
Jesus and his disciples.

And I'd note that once the Christians took over completely they very quickly went the other way and prevented the various pagan sects and mystery cults from worshipping freely. Not a lot of "love" going on there was there? Just ask Hypatia.
Exactly.

Which is why I said it wasn't Constantine that secured it.

Reply #21
Jesus

Really? So Jesus was emperor and passed decrees allowing people to worship freely and removing the need to publicly swear oaths on gods they didn't believe in?

That's a very weird Bible you have there.

Exactly.

Which is why I said it wasn't Constantine that secured it.

Constantine didn't make Christianity the only state religion Dave.
Why do I bother?

• Faid
Reply #22
Or resize it smaller or something.
Or, you know, TURN THE FLIPPING THING SIDEWAYS.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #23
Dave, Jesus had no interest whatsoever in 'freedom of religion'. It was his God or nothingness. Was he out there saying it's okay to worship Apollo? Didn't think so.

• uncool
Reply #24

TRUTH

Well, Dave?
Dave?