Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: How fucking morons are you

Topic: Memorial Day (Read 2072 times) previous topic - next topic

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Re: Memorial Day
Reply #250
it was pretty much one lone crusader that gave India her independence.  Or Germans freedom from the Pope and the Scriptures in their own language.  Or black people in the USA civil rights.
:no:

Dave's misunderstanding here may explain a lot.
:sadyes:
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• JonF
Reply #251
So yeah, Primitive Christianity was indeed the source for tolerance of ALL religions, not just Christians.  Or Saxons.
Debatable.    Are all the Christians since then that have suppressed other religions (and I think you'll agree there are a lot of instances of this) not "True Christians"?
many who claim to be Christians are not true Christians. Jesus himself said this.
Yes, you've made that very clear, David.

Ok, so we know the Christian Roman Empire suppressed other religions, in spite of what your larryhurtado quote attests.  Have there been any "True Christian" nations since then?
"Christian nations"?  Somewhat, yes.  For example, America is more Christian than North Korea, to pick an extreme example of a non-Christian nation.  But there are many un-Christian things America has done and is still doing unfortunately. 

Yeah, like the anti-immigration policies and attitudes Trump ran on and which you voted for.

Anti ILLEGAL immigration. Try a little honesty.
Asylum seekers, temporary protected status, and uniting families aren't illegal. Yet.

"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #252
Anti ILLEGALnon-white immigration. Try a little honesty.

• uncool
Reply #253
AFAICT yes.  Just like it was pretty much one lone crusader that gave India her independence.  Or Germans freedom from the Pope and the Scriptures in their own language.  Or black people in the USA civil rights.
Funny thing: there's a name for this style of historical thinking. And not only is it wrong, it's wrong as shown by the writing of the people themselves.

Martin Luther King was not a lone crusader. He did work as part of several larger organizations - the NAACP, the SCLC, the SNCC, etc. Those organizations built a movement. Their advocacy worked because it worked in concert with other people.

Great Man theory is pretty much deprecated in historiography.
  • Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:14:37 AM by uncool

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #254
it was pretty much one lone crusader that gave India her independence.  Or Germans freedom from the Pope and the Scriptures in their own language.  Or black people in the USA civil rights.
:no:

Dave's misunderstanding here may explain a lot.
It's not misunderstanding, it's willful, militant ignorance combined with narcissism and DK syndrome. MINDKaPPing.
Are we there yet?

Reply #255
So yeah, Primitive Christianity was indeed the source for tolerance of ALL religions, not just Christians.  Or Saxons.
Debatable.    Are all the Christians since then that have suppressed other religions (and I think you'll agree there are a lot of instances of this) not "True Christians"?
many who claim to be Christians are not true Christians. Jesus himself said this.

Ok, so we know the Christian Roman Empire suppressed other religions, in spite of what your larryhurtado quote attests.  Have there been any "True Christian" nations since then?
"Christian nations"?  Somewhat, yes.  For example, America is more Christian than North Korea, to pick an extreme example of a non-Christian nation.  But there are many un-Christian things America has done and is still doing unfortunately. 

Yeah, like the anti-immigration policies and attitudes Trump ran on and which you voted for.

Nope, anti-immigration - both legal and illegal esp from countries with lots of brown people, and including people seeking asylum (which is legal).  Pay attention, Heinz.

Right. President Trump has issued a Presidential decree against all Brown People.

Wake the fuck up!

Unemployment of Blacks and Hispanics is at an all-time historic low!

You might have thought that would happen under the first Black President, but it didn't!

What did happen was a big increase in welfare, instead!

Liberals are a disaster for this country.
"When a true genius appears in this world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." (Jonathan Swift)

• Pingu
Reply #256

Looks like Obama did a pretty good job to me, unless you want to blame him for Bush's recession.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• JonF
Reply #257

Nope, anti-immigration - both legal and illegal esp from countries with lots of brown people, and including people seeking asylum (which is legal).  Pay attention, Heinz.

Right. President Trump has issued a Presidential decree against all Brown People.

Wake the fuck up!

You might have thought that would happen under the first Black President, but it didn't!

Out here in the real world unemployment among blacks and Hispanics has been steadily declining for years. The trend has continued without change under Trump. I.e. Trump has done nothing to affect the decline.

TANF ncreased early in Obama's term because of the Bush crash. Then it decreased.
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #258

Wake the fuck up!

Fox News watcher?
While you were getting your PhD in virology, I got my PhD in truth detection. :wave:  Dave Hawkins

Reply #259
Fox news, nothing matters
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor