Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: How is this place even a forum?

Topic: Why did the overwhelming majority of species in existence today emerge at about the same time? (Read 234 times) previous topic - next topic

• F X
  • The one and only
Why did the overwhelming majority of species in existence today emerge at about the same time?
Which brings us back to our question: why did the overwhelming majority of species in existence today emerge at about the same time?

Environmental trauma is one possibility, explained Jesse Ausubel, director of the Program for the Human Environment at The Rockefeller University.

"Viruses, ice ages, successful new competitors, loss of prey--all these may cause periods when the population of an animal drops sharply," he told AFP, commenting on the study.

"In these periods, it is easier for a genetic innovation to sweep the population and contribute to the emergence of a new species."

But the last true mass extinction event was 65.5 million years ago when a likely asteroid strike wiped out land-bound dinosaurs and half of all species on Earth. This means a population "bottleneck" is only a partial explanation at best.

"The simplest interpretation is that life is always evolving," said Stoeckle.

"It is more likely that--at all times in evolution--the animals alive at that point arose relatively recently."
Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-05-gene-survey-reveals-facets-evolution.html#jCp

How does one explain the fact that 90 percent of animal life, genetically speaking, is roughly the same age?
There is another view.  Instead of just claiming it's a fact, maybe more research is needed.  For example, I don't buy that figure, especially since the number of beetle species dwarfs all other species (mammals are around 4000, beetles well over 350.000)

Are they saying most beetles evolved around 200,000 years ago?

Plus the number of extinct species are not included, and that is a huge number as well.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• Y.B
Re: Why did the overwhelming majority of species in existence today emerge at about the same time?
Reply #1
Socrates started his own thread about this before you did, lol.

If you can call his threads threads.

But yeah, not having read the article, the number sounds suspicious to me too.

• F X
  • The one and only
Re: Why did the overwhelming majority of species in existence today emerge at about the same time?
Reply #2
Socrates started his own thread about this before you did, lol.
I know.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #3
Which brings us back to our question: why did the overwhelming majority of species in existence today emerge at about the same time?

Easy.  They didn't.  That's a non peer reviewed garbage paper published in an obscure Italian vanity journal.  The authors sent around a bombastic press release with remarkable claims but the paper itself is caca.  Go read the Soccy thread for the details.

• nesb
Reply #4
I'm happy my news app never told me about this, then. Although, it did repeatedly tell me that octopuses are aliens. As is requisite.

• Monad
Reply #5
It's amusing in the other thread that Socrates doesn't seem to have twigged the study is based on mitochondrial DNA.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #6

Easy.  They didn't.  That's a non peer reviewed garbage paper published in an obscure Italian vanity journal.  The authors sent around a bombastic press release with remarkable claims but the paper itself is caca.  Go read the Soccy thread for the details.
Well I didn't think it could even be true.  It's just not possible.  It does not fit the theory.
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #7
And I started this thread so I wouldn't have to read the other one.
― Mark Twain 🔭