Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: shut up you house atheists

Topic: Call out: Pingu (Read 56 times) previous topic - next topic

Call out: Pingu
I recently read something about hallucinogen persisting perception disorder, which as among other things presented this picture of a possible mechanism (if it's even fair to call it that):
The alternative is thinking of the body as a chaotic system which settles into various attractors. Take the wrong drug and you can push yourself into a different attractor state, which will persist until something shifts it. This definitely seems true of some things, and is one of the ways I think about depressive episodes - which can last months or years, and which can be precipitated by some sort of obvious stressor (getting fired, breaking up, being bullied) but last long after the stressor is gone. If this explains permanent drug side effects, it seems somehow scarier to me than the other option. It's not just that you have to make sure not to accidentally kill any cells. It's more that nobody has any idea what the underlying mechanisms look like, anything can happen, and you just have to hope you don't screw up.
http://slatestarcodex.com/2018/06/06/hppd-and-the-specter-of-permanent-side-effects/

This echoes something I recall you once posting about depression, and how drug therapies for depression can sometimes "cure" depression over the course of months by reconditioning the brain away from depressive states. Is there much literature about this big-picture way of thinking in terms of "equilibrium states" of the brain? Does this seem to happen in many different contexts?