Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: :welcome:

Topic: "Pingu is Wonderful" Thread (Read 455 times) previous topic - next topic

• Zombies!
  • These violent delights have violent ends.
"Pingu is Wonderful" Thread
Thanks Pingu, I appreciate all you taught me.  Thought it was worth saying, as the idiot train rattles apart.
I really should call your department head and tell him or her how badly you are behaving while posing as a credentialed professional scientist.

Re: "Pingu is Wonderful" Thread
Reply #1
Seconded, seriously.

One of the things I learned early on following these discussion boards, when a competent person is trying to explain something to an internet crank/idiot, pay attention. It may save you from asking embarrassing questions.
A walk through the ocean of most mens souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

• JonF
Reply #2
And such people broaden everyone's mind but one.
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
Reply #3
One of the (many) things I admire about Pingu is her tendency toward clarity.  If you pay attention to her arguments, then either you end up agreeing with her or else you end up with a clearer idea of why you disagree with her.  Both outcomes are good.

• Zombies!
Reply #4
One of the (many) things I admire about Pingu is her tendency toward clarity.  If you pay attention to her arguments, then either you end up agreeing with her or else you end up with a clearer idea of why you disagree with her.  Both outcomes are good.
Unless your worldview depends on your not learning. 
I really should call your department head and tell him or her how badly you are behaving while posing as a credentialed professional scientist.

Reply #5
Agreed (of course). It's easy to follow her arguments, because they mostly take very little previous knowledge or independent reasoning for granted, but build up her case in tight, logical steps.

• Zombies!
Reply #6
Isn't she at another site?  She linked it in the past.
With Dave pretending to have nearly everyone on ignore, the freakshow is too sad for me to visit daily.

• Pingu
Reply #7
Thanks guys!

It's really appreciated.  For some reason my addiction to trying to explain stuff to Dave seems to be finally cured. 

One weird thing about Dave's complaint that I think I am the "Queen" and "strut like a peacock" and flaunt my "regalia" is that that couldn't be further from the truth.  My compulsion to explain simply reflects my own struggles to explain things to myself.  I'm smart enough to know when I don't understand things, but not so smart that I find things easy to understand.  So I end up having to explain things to myself.  And then, having got whatever it was, I have a compulsion to share the explanation! 

My husband says that my brain is "one size too small".  He's probably right.  But you play the hand you are dealt.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• Pingu
Reply #8

Same with you, BD :)  Except that my brain is often several sizes too small for your arguments :(

But yes - both outcomes are good.  My first experience arguing on the internet was over the 2004 US presidential exit polls.  That was an extraordinary experience, and I learned a lot about why people disagreed with me.  Sometimes they were wrong, and sometimes I was. The second was the really interesting part.  The result was a really interesting set of discoveries about why the standard way of estimating response-bias in exit polls doesn't work, why my proposed solution also doesn't work as well as I thought it did, and how to make it better, and eventually to a reanalysis of the exit poll data to find out why the 2004 polls were so wrong. Which, unfortunately, wasn't because of massive vote fraud.

It also taught me that fundamentalism isn't only a Christian, or even right-wing, phenomenon :(

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #9
So what's the bottom line on exit polls?
Should we just ignore them?
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Pingu
Reply #10
So what's the bottom line on exit polls?
Should we just ignore them?

No, they are really useful for analysing who voted for whom.  They are also good for predicting the count, but not as a CHECK on the count - they become a useful predictor only after they have been reweighted using the actual incoming counts.  That was what all the fuss was about - the "raw" poll results, before reweighting, showed a Kerry win, which was massively "statistically significant".  But that's because there's so much statistical power that the MoE is always tiny.  It's the response bias, or rather selection bias, that is huge - and unknown until after you've compared it, precinct by precinct, with the actual precinct count.  But the cry of "foul" was because that massively "significant" result for Kerry didn't match the count. So they thought the count had been tampered with.

People think the exit poll must be a reliable poll because it doesn't depend on "Likely Voter" modelling, nor on long-term memory - because you know everyone in the poll has just voted.  But the random sampling procedure is completely crude as compared to a telephone or even an internet poll.  People who don't want to talk to a exit poller just evade selection.

ETA: more here:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2006/11/4/266452/-How-to-read-exit-polls-a-primer

Seems like such old news now!

• Peez
Reply #11
Pingu is among the most intelligent, thoughtful, patient, and polite posters I have seen anywhere.

Peez

Reply #12
No disagreement there. Good at sales too!

• RickB
Reply #13
No disagreement there. Good at sales too!

Since I'm sure, due to our history, that Dave has me actually on ignore.  If I were to say, oh, something like 'Dave should suck shit out of a dead mans ass.'  that this would illicit no response whatsoever.

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
Reply #14

Agreed. I really wish I had the tolerance, clear mindedness and focus that Pingu demonstrates.
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
Reply #15
Agreed (of course). It's easy to follow her arguments, because they mostly take very little previous knowledge or independent reasoning for granted, but build up her case in tight, logical steps.

Which of course results in some hilarious outcomes. eg: The C14 thread from a few months back, when Dave finally figured out that he'd walked right off the cliff edge. :D
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
Reply #16
...this would illicit no response whatsoever.
* elicit

(Sorry, can't help it, I have OCD.)

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #17
...this would illicit no response whatsoever.
* elicit

(Sorry, can't help it, I have OCD.)
You know, there's a special hell for people like you.
Are we there yet?

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #18
Am not as dedicated as Bro D, but language abuse like that does bother me.  Mostly it's the paired terms people mix up. Tenet/tenant drives me mad. The number of people who never figured out affect/effect. Compliment/complement. Discreet/discrete. Cord/chord. Phase/faze. Reign/rein. (that one needs to be drilled into heads.)

I realise I suck at math as much as these people suck at language, but I keep my math private, thank you.  :stuckup:

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
Reply #19
That sort of thing makes me loose my mind. :D

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #20
That sort of thing makes me loose my mind. :D

:whyyou:

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #21
The one thing that really bothers me is lexiphancism.
Are we there yet?

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #22
^Ironic self-own.

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
Reply #23
but I keep my math private, thank you.
Aww, that's no fun.  Everyone's math(s) should be allowed to flop around freely.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #24
 :ohmy:  You obviously have never encountered my maths.