Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: Do you normally poke a hornet's nest with your dick?

Topic: gunnerj callout: are there any good historical anecdotes that aren't bullshit? (Read 1926 times) previous topic - next topic

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Re: gunnerj callout: are there any good historical anecdotes that aren't bullshit?
Reply #50
iirc, a young George Washington almost single-handedly started the French and Indian wars by being a brash idiot. 

there were tensions there, but diplomatic discussions underway to ease them.  Washington was sent to meet the French emissary.  instead of meeting as agreed, Washington randomly (?) decided to attack the french.  after subduing them, one of his Mohawk guides, apparently not on the same page as Washington, killed the French diplomat and ate his brains.  the French government didn't respond well to that and war ensued.

Re: gunnerj callout: are there any good historical anecdotes that aren't bullshit?
Reply #51
Have you vetted that?  Because some half assed googling does not appear to back that up very well.

• el jefe
Reply #52
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Jumonville_Glen

I misremembered some parts.  it was french Canadians, not french, and Mingo allies, not Mohawk guides.  and the Mingo guy merely washed his hands in the French guy's brains, didnt eat them.

importantly, it sounds like both Washington and the French canadian guy were given orders to tell the other side to cease and desist and to be prepared to use force if necessary.  so it wasn't like an arranged diplomatic meeting.

still, Washington chose to attack them as a first resort, apparently not even considering talking to them.  and a native american with him executed the French Canadian leader and did fucked up shit with his brains.  and it was all a major provocation that contributed to the start of the war. 

Reply #53
Yeah that's the link I read.  There appear to be multiple accounts of what went down.

Reply #54
Everything Zen Zinn
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #55

the Mingo guy merely washed his hands in the French guy's brains, didnt eat them.

memescape please

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #56
iirc, a young George Washington almost single-handedly started the French and Indian wars by being a brash idiot. 

there were tensions there, but diplomatic discussions underway to ease them.  Washington was sent to meet the French emissary.  instead of meeting as agreed, Washington randomly (?) decided to attack the french.  after subduing them, one of his Mohawk guides, apparently not on the same page as Washington, killed the French diplomat and ate his brains.  the French government didn't respond well to that and war ensued.

Was this before or after the French started building their chain of artificial islands from Quebec to England for a massive sneak attack?

• Bilirubin
Reply #57
A people's history of the United States.
Have that one, but its been decades since I last read it. Will check the relevant sections when I get home, thanks PD

Reply #58
I only say that because I asked gunner recently for almost the same recommendation and I  think where that conversation ended up is that People's History is as good as any for a starting point.

• el jefe
Reply #59

Was this before or after the French started building their chain of artificial islands from Quebec to England for a massive sneak attack?
false dichotomy

• el jefe
Reply #60
I only say that because I asked gunner recently for almost the same recommendation and I  think where that conversation ended up is that People's History is as good as any for a starting point.
of course he thinks that.  until next semester when he reads some Marxist historian - Pete garrison, probably.  and after that, he'll be down here regurgitating Gordon Wood.

Reply #61
Well, it's not that "he thinks that."  I think I said "what about...." and he replied something non-committal like "people like it, it's as good a place as any to start."

Reply #62
Actually, on the topic of early US history, do you have any recommendations for books on the early settlement through the Indian War?

i'm not really sure what you mean by "the indian war" but since you're framing it that way:

Facing East from Indian Country and Before the Revolution, both by dan richter. be warned these aren't really written for general consumption (i.e., they're written for other turbonerds).

Reply #63
A people's history of the United States.
Have that one, but its been decades since I last read it. Will check the relevant sections when I get home, thanks PD

it's honestly not that great but you could do worse

Reply #64
Well, it's not that "he thinks that."  I think I said "what about...." and he replied something non-committal like "people like it, it's as good a place as any to start."
how do you like them apples, el guano?

• uncool
Reply #65
how do you like them apples, el guano?
So who gets to be Robin Williams here?

Reply #66
How about a good comprehensive book on pre colonial Americas?

• Bilirubin
Reply #67
Actually, on the topic of early US history, do you have any recommendations for books on the early settlement through the Indian War?

i'm not really sure what you mean by "the indian war" but since you're framing it that way:

Facing East from Indian Country and Before the Revolution, both by dan richter. be warned these aren't really written for general consumption (i.e., they're written for other turbonerds).
I bet his footnotes are really dry and take up pages by themselves.

Thanks, will order them up from the book pit

Reply #68
imo he's actually one of the better academic writers but it's still academic writing.

• ksen
Reply #69

Oh, so there's a lot of math and weird equations in them?

• Bilirubin
Reply #70
imo he's actually one of the better academic writers but it's still academic writing.
Oh I know me some academic writing

Actually, I'm reading belle hooks right now and goddamn can this academic write clearly and understandably. She's like the anti Foucault

Reply #71
If you enjoy that sort of thing and theory interests you, you would probably love "undoing the demos" by Wendy Brown.

Reply #72

In retrospect, this is a pretty great post in a thread that is literally about bullshit anecdotes.

Reply #73
Lol, that el jefe started.

• el jefe
Reply #74
your a bullshit anecdote