Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talkrational: atheism's gadfly.

Topic: Betsy Davos, our next secretary of education, will probably need her own thread so here it is: (Read 2987 times) previous topic - next topic

Betsy Davos, our next secretary of education, will probably need her own thread so here it is:
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/01/betsy-dick-devos-family-amway-michigan-politics-religion-214631

How Betsy DeVos Used God and Amway to Take Over Michigan Politics

With her nomination as education secretary, a powerful political clan will bring its overtly Christian agenda to Washington.

By Zack Stanton

January 15, 2017

Facebook
    Twitter
    Google +

Email
    Comment
    Print

On election night 2006, Dick DeVos, the bronzed, starched 51-year-old scion of Michigan's wealthiest family, paced to a lectern in the dim ballroom of the Sheraton Hotel in Lansing to deliver the speech that every candidate dreads.

The Michigan gubernatorial race that year had been a dogfight of personal attacks between DeVos, the Republican nominee, and Democratic Governor Jennifer Granholm. Gloomy, bleached-out b-roll of shuttered factories in anti-Granholm ads made the governor's sunny economic promise that "You're gonna be blown away" sound less like an aspiration than a threat. Anti-DeVos ads cut closer to the bone, with one depicting a cartoon DeVos cheering a freighter hauling Michigan jobs to China. It was an unsubtle reference to DeVos' time as president of Amway, the direct-sales behemoth his family co-founded and co-owns, when he eliminated jobs in Michigan while expanding dramatically in Asia. DeVos ended up personally spending $35 million on the race--the most expensive campaign in Michigan history--and when the votes came in, lost by a crushing 14 points.

At the Lansing Sheraton, the mood was grim. "If we aren't going to be able to serve in this way, I look forward to the ways we can," DeVos told his glum supporters. Behind him on the ballroom risers stood his family; closest to him was his wife, Betsy, choking back tears.

Though dressed in a blue skirt-suit, the uniform of a first ladyship that was not to be, Betsy DeVos was never a political accessory. Anyone who understood Michigan politics knew she had long been the more political animal of the pair. It was Betsy, not Dick, who had chaired the Michigan Republican Party; Betsy, who had served as a member of the Republican National Committee; Betsy, whose name was once floated to succeed Haley Barbour as head of the RNC; Betsy, who had directed a statewide ballot campaign to legalize public funding of religious schools; Betsy, who, as a college freshman, traveled to Ohio and Indiana to volunteer for Gerald Ford's presidential campaign. She was a skilled and seasoned operator, but as her husband conceded in an overwhelming defeat, she was utterly helpless.

At the time, it seemed like a dead end for a neophyte political candidate. In reality, it was the opening of a new avenue the DeVoses followed to far greater political influence, reshaping Michigan politics and the national Republican scene. "I think that loss really solidified the idea in the DeVoses' minds that the real way to get what you want is to be behind the scenes," says Susan Demas, publisher of Inside Michigan Politics.

In the decade since that loss, the DeVos family, with Dick and Betsy at the helm, has emerged as a political force without comparison in Michigan. Their politics are profoundly Christian and conservative--"God, America, Free Enterprise," to borrow the subtitle of family patriarch Richard DeVos' 1975 book, Believe!--and their vast resources (the family's cumulative net worth is estimated at well over $5 billion) assure that they can steamroll their way to victory on issues ranging from education reform to workers' rights. "At the federal level, when GOP candidates are looking for big donors to back them, they have options," says Craig Mauger, executive director of the Michigan Campaign Finance Network. "If you don't get Sheldon Adelson, you can go to the Koch brothers, and so on. In Michigan, the DeVos family is a class of donor all by themselves."

Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• linus
Re: Betsy Davos, our next secretary of education, will probably need her own thread so here it is:
Reply #1
"We also have the Family Assembly .... When grandchildren turn 16, they are inducted ... in a formal ceremony that everyone attends. An aunt or uncle makes a presentation of their achievements, reminds them of their responsibility as they go forward, and affirms them as a member of the Family Assembly. ... They are able to vote in the meetings at age 25, after they have met additional qualifications for taking on this added responsibility."
I guess you have to roll up your sleeves and do some pretty awkward things once in a while to inherit those $$$.

Re: Betsy Davos, our next secretary of education, will probably need her own thread so here it is:
Reply #2

• Pingu
Reply #3
Her ignorance of educational policy issues is terrifying.

I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #4
Her ignorance of educational policy issues is terrifying.

yes it is.

Reply #5
"ignorance"

Reply #6
you don't need to know intricate details of how an organism works if all you want to do is swing a baseball bat at it until it collapses into a bloody pulp

Reply #7
John Dingell is 90 and is amazing at twitter.

John Dingell ✔ @JohnDingell
Trump's cabinet picks appear to be interested in their respective departments in the same way that kamikaze pilots are interested in planes.
10:47 AM - 18 Jan 2017
131 131 Retweets 208 208 likes

• Pingu
Reply #8

Reply #9
In Detroit, the rubber has hit the road, and school children have paid the price.

"Betsy DeVos Wants to Use America's Schools to Build 'God's Kingdom'" | Mother Jones

In Michigan, Detroit has been at the heart of the charter push, which began in the early '90s. In 1996, former Metro Times reporter Curt Guyette showed how the Prince Foundation, as well as the foundation run by Dick DeVos' parents, funded a carefully orchestrated campaign to label Detroit's public schools as failing--and pushed for charters and "universal educational choice" as a better alternative. While Betsy DeVos has not called for an end to traditional public schools, she has written about the need to "retire" and "replace" Detroit's public school system and pressed for aggressively expanding charter schools and vouchers. (In 2000, Dick and Betsy DeVos helped underwrite a ballot initiative to expand the use of vouchers in Michigan and lost badly.)

Detroit's schools--where 84 percent of students are black and 80 percent are poor--have been in steady decline since charter schools started proliferating: Public school test scores in math and reading on the National Assessment of Educational Progress have remained the worst among large cities since 2009. In June, the New York Times published a scathing investigation of the city's school district, which has the second-biggest share of students in charters in America. (New Orleans is No. 1.) Reporter Kate Zernike concluded that lax oversight by the state and insufficiently regulated growth--including too many agencies that are allowed to open new charter schools--contributed to a system with "lots of choice, with no good choice."

Reply #10
Until recently, Holland restaurants couldn't sell alcohol on Sundays. Residents are not allowed to yell or whistle between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. If city officials decide that a fence or a shed signals decay, they might tear it down, and mail the owner a bill. Grass clippings longer than eight inches have to be removed and composted, and snow must be shoveled as soon as it lands on the streets. Most people say rules like these help keep Holland prosperous, with low unemployment, low crime rates, good city services, excellent schools, and Republicans at almost every government post.

The town I work in was founded by similar Dutch immigrants. If you aren't a restaurant or grocery store, you have to be closed on Sunday. 

Like many people I met in Holland, Lanting wasn't a Trump supporter initially--he voted for Ben Carson in the primaries--but he couldn't bring himself to vote for Hillary Clinton, whom he calls "a professional spin doctor." "Trump is much more likely," Lanting says, "to bring Christ into the world."

How? Is he going to piss him into existence during one of his military parades.  This shit boggles my fucking mind.

Asked whether Christian schools should continue to rely on philanthropic dollars--rather than pushing for taxpayer money through vouchers--Betsy DeVos replied, "There are not enough philanthropic dollars in America to fund what is currently the need in education...[versus] what is currently being spent every year on education in this country...Our desire is to confront the culture in ways that will continue to advance God's Kingdom."

I sure am glad that I don't have children...

Cuz fuck all of this.

Reply #11
radical christians believe that Christ will come only when the world is in the throes of the apocalypse

Reply #12
John Dingell is 90 and is amazing at twitter.

John Dingell ✔ @JohnDingell
Trump's cabinet picks appear to be interested in their respective departments in the same way that kamikaze pilots are interested in planes.
10:47 AM - 18 Jan 2017
131 131 Retweets 208 208 likes
that is the best line of this whole goddamn mess.

Reply #13
radical christians believe that Christ will come only when the world is in the throes of the apocalypse

Ok, I get that angle. Still insane to me that they want to usher it in.  I had a friend in high school who was raised a fundy. She used to take me and others to her stupid mega church off of I-80 (in Illinois). 

I saw whatsherface, Joy something or other, she is a famous fundy writer/speaker.  They had this powerpoint slide show where they were explaining the eras of churches. Apparently, the era we were in at the time, (1990s) was supposed to the be the one to usher in the apocalypse. Those mother fuckers CHEERED. I sort of just sat there like wtf is this shit. Then they did the smack you on the forehead thing. I was terrified. I fell backwards onto floor with the others, but honestly I think it was more out of fear of what would happen if I didn't.  My friend and her mother were laying there laughing, and other people were sort of mumbling and other shit.

Yeah, we aren't friends anymore.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #14
Then they did the smack you on the forehead thing. I was terrified. I fell backwards onto floor with the others, but honestly I think it was more out of fear of what would happen if I didn't. 
Post-Hoc rationalization denial of the power of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #15
Lamar Alexander is dragging Betsy DeVos across the finish line
After postponing the secretary of education nominee's hearing for a week, the chairman of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee (known as HELP) rescheduled it for last night at the very unusual time of 5 p.m. (It then started 15 minutes late.)

The obvious goal was to minimize how many people would watch. The late start meant that cable news could not cover the proceedings live unless TV executives preempted lucrative primetime programming (which they didn't do), and it made it harder for print reporters to make early newspaper deadlines - which forced some outlets to run shorter stories than they might have otherwise....
Alexander allowed each member to ask five minutes of questions. He permitted just one round of questioning, compared to the three rounds that Rex Tillerson and Jeff Sessions faced last week. Most committees also give members 10 minutes per round, not five.

Reply #16
I wish someone would drag her...To the Lampposts!

Reply #17
Lamar Alexander is dragging Betsy DeVos across the finish line
After postponing the secretary of education nominee's hearing for a week, the chairman of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee (known as HELP) rescheduled it for last night at the very unusual time of 5 p.m. (It then started 15 minutes late.)

The obvious goal was to minimize how many people would watch. The late start meant that cable news could not cover the proceedings live unless TV executives preempted lucrative primetime programming (which they didn't do), and it made it harder for print reporters to make early newspaper deadlines - which forced some outlets to run shorter stories than they might have otherwise....
Alexander allowed each member to ask five minutes of questions. He permitted just one round of questioning, compared to the three rounds that Rex Tillerson and Jeff Sessions faced last week. Most committees also give members 10 minutes per round, not five.

I hope that when this is all over this whole bunch of Billionaires are wiped out.

• Pingu
Reply #18

Reply #19
yeah. That's the thing about public education in the US that keeps being not mentioned. It's the largest stream of tax dollars that are currently untapped by the private sector. We've been working hard to change that. Once it's privatized, the calls to cut education spending will stop.

Military spending is not a criticism we hear very often.

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #20

• Monad
Reply #21
Whoa this woman is seriously loopy

Reply #22
You guys need to love big brother more

Reply #23
I'm wondering where the line is that initiates the fuck it sequence.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #24
not to scare you more, but i think it's all christians.  in theory, at least.  though, in practice, i think most members of the non-evangelical sects tend to assume it's a long way off or was just figurative or something.  somehow, it doesn't need to be thought of in immediate or concrete terms.
  • Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:25:23 PM by el jefe