Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• You aint got eight telescopes and a house in Monterey. I aint got a healthy heart. We all have our crosses to bear.

Topic: Betsy Davos, our next secretary of education, will probably need her own thread so here it is: (Read 2988 times) previous topic - next topic

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Re: Betsy Davos, our next secretary of education, will probably need her own thread so here it is:
Reply #25
right.  Which distinguishes "most" from "radical".

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Re: Betsy Davos, our next secretary of education, will probably need her own thread so here it is:
Reply #26
or "most radical", which distinguishes me

Reply #27
radical christians believe that Christ will come only when the world is in the throes of the apocalypse
not to scare you more, but i think it's all christians.  in theory, at least.  though, in practice, i think most members of the non-evangelical sects tend to assume it's a long way off or was just figurative or something.  somehow, it doesn't need to be thought of in immediate or concrete terms.
My parents are Catholic. We never went to church and I've never taken communion. They are definitely believers but for whatever reason they didn't raise us in the church. I never got the impression that revelation shit was taken super seriously. Or at least not as literal as the Evangelical Christians take it.

Reply #28
radical christians believe that Christ will come only when the world is in the throes of the apocalypse
not to scare you more, but i think it's all christians.  in theory, at least.  though, in practice, i think most members of the non-evangelical sects tend to assume it's a long way off or was just figurative or something.  somehow, it doesn't need to be thought of in immediate or concrete terms.

looks like you fuckers need a heaping dose of judaism

• el jefe
Reply #29
My parents are Catholic. We never went to church and I've never taken communion. They are definitely believers but for whatever reason they didn't raise us in the church. I never got the impression that revelation shit was taken super seriously. Or at least not as literal as the Evangelical Christians take it.

I was raised catholic.  took ccd and went to church p much every sunday.  was never told anything about the end of the world either place.  my parents acknowledged that there was this whole armageddon and judgment day thing, but didn't leave me with the impression I needed to worry about it.

whenever we ran into other christians saying judgement day is coming or whatever, my parents laughed at them or told them to go away.  I remember being confused about that.  aren't those people right?  and they seem pretty pro-jesus; isn't that a good thing?  the answer was that somehow those people didn't get it.  so we sort of believed in it, but sort of didn't. ... ?  like many (but not all) aspects of our family's religious beliefs, that one seemed to begin and end at the door of the church. 

• el jefe
Reply #30
I guess there's a halfway logical argument one could make without contradicting a belief in the end times.  jesus said he's coming back, but didn't say when*.  so, while people alive back then might have reasonably expected him to come back "soon", the longer he goes without coming back, the bigger the window for his return must be.  and the bigger that window, the less likely it is to happen in your particular lifetime.  we're 2000 years out now.  why suddenly this year of all years?  why not 1265?  or 37,102 AD?

*actually, he did say when.  he said it would happen within the lifetimes of some of the people in the crowd he was addressing.  however, those people all lived 2000 years ago, and must all be dead by now, and yet jesus hasn't returned.  so, to rationalize this obviously failed prophecy, people interpret the passage creatively.  one solution is to assume at least one person in the crowd is still alive, animated by god's power and cursed to walk the earth until jesus returns.  (not making that up.  people actually think this guy is out there, passing as some average joe.)  anyway the bottom line is they are willing to extend the window for jesus ' s return arbitrarily long into the future.  so, for our purposes, it has the same net effect as jesus not saying when he'll come back.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #31
Joe Lieberman disses the entire education establishment at Betsy DeVos's confirmation hearing

Until now, I had thought that the party-line 2000 Bush v. Gore SCOTUS decision was an unmitigated disaster.
Well, no question. It was a disaster. But it turns out there was a silver lining.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #32
I guess there's a halfway logical argument one could make without contradicting a belief in the end times.  jesus said he's coming back, but didn't say when*.  so, while people alive back then might have reasonably expected him to come back "soon", the longer he goes without coming back, the bigger the window for his return must be.  and the bigger that window, the less likely it is to happen in your particular lifetime.  we're 2000 years out now.  why suddenly this year of all years?  why not 1265?  or 37,102 AD?

*actually, he did say when.  he said it would happen within the lifetimes of some of the people in the crowd he was addressing.  however, those people all lived 2000 years ago, and must all be dead by now, and yet jesus hasn't returned.  so, to rationalize this obviously failed prophecy, people interpret the passage creatively.  one solution is to assume at least one person in the crowd is still alive, animated by god's power and cursed to walk the earth until jesus returns.  (not making that up.  people actually think this guy is out there, passing as some average joe.)  anyway the bottom line is they are willing to extend the window for jesus ' s return arbitrarily long into the future.  so, for our purposes, it has the same net effect as jesus not saying when he'll come back.

...wtf

Reply #33
If you get a chance, watch a movie called "The Man From Earth". Its a low-budget film about a very old man explaining to his friends about who he really is. I found it very interesting, especially when they ask him about historical people he had known (specifically in biblical times).

Its even got a couple Star Trek actors (Tony Todd and John Billingsley) so it can't be bad, right?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #34
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #35

So your parents who are "religious, but not really" don't get fringe religious things? Weird.

• el jefe
Reply #36

*actually, he did say when.  he said it would happen within the lifetimes of some of the people in the crowd he was addressing.  however, those people all lived 2000 years ago, and must all be dead by now, and yet jesus hasn't returned.  so, to rationalize this obviously failed prophecy, people interpret the passage creatively.  one solution is to assume at least one person in the crowd is still alive, animated by god's power and cursed to walk the earth until jesus returns.  (not making that up.  people actually think this guy is out there, passing as some average joe.) anyway the bottom line is they are willing to extend the window for jesus ' s return arbitrarily long into the future.  so, for our purposes, it has the same net effect as jesus not saying when he'll come back.

...wtf

ikr?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandering_Jew

• Bilirubin
Reply #37

Reply #38
We are so fucked. This is not normal politics.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #39
whenever we ran into other christians saying judgement day is coming or whatever, my parents laughed at them or told them to go away.  I remember being confused about that.  aren't those people right?  and they seem pretty pro-jesus; isn't that a good thing?  the answer was that somehow those people didn't get it.  so we sort of believed in it, but sort of didn't. ... ?  like many (but not all) aspects of our family's religious beliefs, that one seemed to begin and end at the door of the church. 
Growing up, this more or less describes my family's feelings about Jesus' return.

Maybe some day, but there's no rational reason to believe it'll be soon.  Therefore I assume most mainstream Christians are the same.

When I was going through my deconversion / IIDB days and discovered the Rapture Ready type groups I was honestly surprised that there was a community of those nutjobs.

eta:  Much later my dad really got interested into understanding what the bible said and had a good understanding of the whole pre-trib/post-trib argument and I think that (among other bible readings) lead to his deconversion.  I wish I had talked to him more about that before he died, but I was never comfortable discussing religion with family.
  • Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:28:34 AM by SkepticTank

Reply #40
Same for my family, and we went to a Lutheran (but not a hardcore one like Missouri Synod from what I remember) growing up. Most of my friends and my wife's whole family are Catholic, and there wasn't/isn't any apocalyptic talk there.

Reply #41

So your parents who are "religious, but not really" don't get fringe religious things? Weird.

We have some JWs in our extended family and one day I had to explain their belief system to my Mom. She was like, WTF? She thought it was odd but respected that they had a right to their beliefs. "To each their own," was a common saying in my house.
She and her siblings went through all the Catholic stuff, ccd, communion but none of them are staunch churchgoers. My Dad's side is bit more religious, which I think is because of my paternal grandmother's family. #Italian

When I was a kid I used to look through my mom's Catholic bible. I remember there being footnotes in the margins explaining things. Some guy was described as being over 100 years old and the footnotes would say that he probably wasn't. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but it seemed that not everything was taken literally.  Unlike my former friend and the whole "all that actually happened and is 100% true!"

• Bilirubin
Reply #42
Again, why is it at all worth mentioning that given that background you should not understand apocalyptic theology?

Cool story though.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #43
right.  Which distinguishes "most" from "radical".

Eh, I misread el jefe's post.  Yes I agree that Christian theology says that Christ's return is tied to the apocalypse.  I believe the vast majority* of Christians don't expect that to necessarily be eminent and/or aren't trying to usher it in. And most of those who do believe it's coming soon don't care because they (and everyone they care about) will be raptured, so only evil heathens will be left behind to deal with the mess (they're pre-trib, not post-trib).

* ST is wrong, it's a plurality, but not majority
http://www.pewresearch.org/daily-number/jesus-christs-return-to-earth/

Reply #44

*actually, he did say when.  he said it would happen within the lifetimes of some of the people in the crowd he was addressing.  however, those people all lived 2000 years ago, and must all be dead by now, and yet jesus hasn't returned.  so, to rationalize this obviously failed prophecy, people interpret the passage creatively.  one solution is to assume at least one person in the crowd is still alive, animated by god's power and cursed to walk the earth until jesus returns.  (not making that up.  people actually think this guy is out there, passing as some average joe.) anyway the bottom line is they are willing to extend the window for jesus ' s return arbitrarily long into the future.  so, for our purposes, it has the same net effect as jesus not saying when he'll come back.

...wtf

ikr?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandering_Jew

shhh don't blow my cover yo

Reply #45
I'm wondering where the line is that initiates the fuck it sequence.
Getting close....

• Bilirubin
Reply #46

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #47
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2017/01/22/what-trump-said-when-he-signed-the-executive-order-on-betsy-devos-his-education-nominee/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.e43d193f14c6
Just like old times...

6/12/81 President Reagan fails to recognize his only black Cabinet member, Housing Secretary Samuel Pierce, at a White House reception for big‑city mayors. "How are you, Mr. Mayor?" he greets Pierce. "I'm glad to meet you. How are things in your city?"

• Bilirubin
Reply #48
My dad just defended Betsy on the basis she started a charter high school with an aviation focus. :psyduck:

HOW MANY POOR  KIDS CAN AFFORD AIR TIME IWEULFWEUIFJJK#$H*( IONF

Reply #49
hmm. Ask him why the students at that school have such a high percentage of meth addicts and abortions. I can write a news story on blogger if he needs facts.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor