Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: what's your phone number?

Topic: Betsy Davos, our next secretary of education, will probably need her own thread so here it is: (Read 3000 times) previous topic - next topic

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Re: Betsy Davos, our next secretary of education, will probably need her own thread so here it is:
Reply #50
My dad just defended Betsy on the basis she started a charter high school with an aviation focus. :psyduck:

HOW MANY POOR  KIDS CAN AFFORD AIR TIME IWEULFWEUIFJJK#$H*( IONF
your dad has libertarian personality disorder, right?

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Re: Betsy Davos, our next secretary of education, will probably need her own thread so here it is:
Reply #51
He's subscribed to Reason since the 80s at least.

He is at least aware of his bias because of the family connection to the de Vos's (and they attend the same megachurch) and he appreciates how much cash they have sank into Grand Rapids, but still. Dad, *I'm* more qualified than she is.

Reply #52
Bili, I will be sorry if I have to execute your father when the revolution comes. I hope you don't hold that against me at my thesis defense.

• el jefe
Reply #53
I'm sure he can compartmentalize

• Bilirubin
Reply #54
He survived the Congo crisis in '61 I'm sure he'll be fine

Reply #55
Dont worry, teeth isn't killing anybody

• Bilirubin
Reply #56
Oh I'm not worried. He'll dislocate his shoulder with a strong breeze

Reply #57
[size=150]Anti-Devos calls jam Senate phone lines[/size]

Share to Facebook
76.7KShare to Twitter
Share to Google+

Liberal groups have sought to jam Republican phones lines with protests of President Trump's nomination of Betsy DeVos as Education secretary.

Credo Action's vice president and political director, Murshed Zaheed, said its members made 18,000 calls to members of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee on DeVos, targeting committee Democrats and key Republicans, including Sens. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Rand Paul (R-Ky.).

Sen. Bob Casey (D-Pa.) has received more than 50,000 emails and letters opposing DeVos, according to his spokesman, John Rizzo.

And Sen. Tim Kaine's (D-Va.) spokeswoman, Sarah Peck, said Kaine has received more than 25,000 emails and letters about DeVos alone and the vast majority have been in opposition to her nomination.

Calls to action on social media platforms like Facebook have included a list of Republican senators on the HELP Committee, urging people to phone offices in an attempt to block DeVos's nomination.

In a series of tweets Tuesday, Murkowski, who sits on the committee, said her Alaska and D.C. offices have been "overwhelmed with calls from the lower 48, which has made it difficult for Alaskans to express their opinions."

She said her staff is doing the best they can to manage the phone calls and listen to voicemails.

"We're looking for solutions to manage the high [number] of calls," she wrote, and advised her constituents to contact her online if they are having trouble getting through over the phone.

https://origin-nyi.thehill.com/homenews/administration/316321-anti-devos-calls-jam-senate-phone-lines
[/quote]
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Pingu
Reply #58
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2017/01/22/what-trump-said-when-he-signed-the-executive-order-on-betsy-devos-his-education-nominee/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.e43d193f14c6
Just like old times...

6/12/81 President Reagan fails to recognize his only black Cabinet member, Housing Secretary Samuel Pierce, at a White House reception for big‑city mayors. "How are you, Mr. Mayor?" he greets Pierce. "I'm glad to meet you. How are things in your city?"

:hmm:
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #59
Anyone have any idea whether this 24 hr hold has a chance?

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #60
This is a fillibuster, right?  So the repubs have the nuclear option to counter it?  Or is it something more complicated.

Reply #61
Unfortunately, it's not a filibuster. The Dems just accumulated 24 hrs of floor time and decided to use it. I really don't understand the nuances of this one. My senators are both taking it to the streets but nothing seems to be useful. It looks like there was a deal on the GOP side to allow 2 of them to vote against and pence would break the tie.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #62
Oh, so it's a pointless stall?  Nobody actually believes that some dem will make some brilliant convincing argument that will make a republican go "oh yeah, she really is horrible, I'll change my vote", right?

eta: I keep expecting that to happen to Trump supporters on Facebook, but those are actually real people, not congress.
  • Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 01:39:32 PM by SkepticTank

• el jefe
Reply #63
Oh, so it's a pointless stall?  Nobody actually believes that some dem will make some brilliant convincing argument that will make a republican go "oh yeah, she really is horrible, I'll change my vote", right?

eta: I keep expecting that to happen to Trump supporters on Facebook, but those are actually real people, not congress.
even if they can't stop her, stalls are not pointless.  the more time this takes, the less there is for everything else.  keep in mind, trump needs congress's help for most of his big plans, and congress works like 3 days a week.  if they can drag everything out, the clock itself starts to block items on trump's agenda. ....  they're already making it take longer than usual to fill the cabinet.   then they'll drag out the confirmation hearings of his scotus nominee.  then he wants to move a big infrastructure bill that will take time even if the democrats cooperate.  already, I think that puts us into the fall.

for an example of where this was successful, the gop prevented the democrats from passing a cap and trade bill by forcing them to take so long on the aca.  hell, they almost sank the aca itself.

if they can push the aca "repair" into an election year, the effort might go from sputtering to dead.  same goes for any controversial action on immigration.
  • Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:12:42 PM by el jefe

• Bilirubin
Reply #64
They can't confirm Sessions until Betsy gets her vote because the whip needs his vote for her.

• Bilirubin
Reply #65
BTW its probably because I grew up in Grand Rapids/West Michigan/New Hollandland but holy hell that misspelling of her name in the thread title triggers me each time I see it :argh:

Reply #66
I was mentally stuttering.

• Doobie Keebler
  • I've got a lot of problems with you people
Reply #67
BTW its probably because I grew up in Grand Rapids/West Michigan/New Hollandland but holy hell that misspelling of her name in the thread title triggers me each time I see it :argh:

Might as well get used to the typos. Once Pence is on live broadcast casting the tie breaker with a loud and hardy "I hereby fuck over public education in Jesus name, Amen" we'll be seeing considerably more.
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

• Fenrir
Reply #68
So which nong mispelled Davros?
It's what plants crave.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #69
That thought had occurred to me too.
Truth is out of style

• Bilirubin

• Bilirubin

Reply #72
devos confirmed

• Bilirubin
Reply #73
...to be unqualified for the job

Reply #74
this means sessions will be the AG.

it really is time to start killing repubs.