Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: On alternate Tuesdays

Topic: Trumpocalypse (Read 81260 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Trumpocalypse
Reply #8200
Kelly is a dumb asshole who was happy doing horrible shit at DHS. He's complicit in all of this.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #8201
I'm sure he's worse than terrible by normal standards.  but if he is one of only 2 or 3 people who hovers over trump and dissuades or distracts him whenever he starts talking about nuking NK, I don't want him to quit.

eta:  also, he reportedly keeps trump from reading info wars and shit like that.  that could conceivably save the country from a disaster or two.

• ksen
Reply #8202

• linus
Reply #8203
It was Jeb!'s campaign. But wouldn't it just increase its legitimacy if it was commissioned by the FBI rather a political campaign?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #8204
It was Jeb!'s campaign. But wouldn't it just increase its legitimacy if it was commissioned by the FBI rather a political campaign?
I guess that depends on who the target audience is.
For that hard-core ~ 35% that seems thoroughly immune to reality, it would be more confirmation of the Deep State having it in for their hero.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #8205
I guess that depends on who the target audience is.
For that hard-core ~ 35% that seems thoroughly immune to reality, it would be more confirmation of the Deep State having it in for their hero. 

Plus preemptive devaluating the FBI.
Are we there yet?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #8206
George W. Bush's unmistakable takedown of Trumpism -- and Trump

I never expected to see the day when Dubya would come to represent the more rational and respectable wing of the Republican party.

But I think he's blind to the key role he himself played in the chain of events that has resulted in the current global nightmare.
To wit: the calamitous, unnecessary war in Iraq --> rise of ISIS & flood of refugees --> rise of xenophobia and right-wing nationalist and nativist movements throughout the west.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• el jefe
Reply #8207
if he contributed to the current mess, I would say it was by encouraging ignorance worship

Reply #8208
"I hate bigotry"--GW Bush

"Fuck the gays, lets run on a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage"--also GW Bush

• el jefe
Reply #8209
hey now, brugroffil.  we welcome converts

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #8210
Also W is stumping for Gillespie even amid all of the immigrants are going to rape our Aryan children rhetoric so fuck him.

Reply #8211
George W. Bush, welcome......to the #Resistance!

• el jefe
Reply #8212
if I had put blame on one of these guys speaking out against trump, I would put more on mccain, for picking Sarah Palin as running mate.  that I think did more damage to our standards, and did more to pave the way for trump.

still, dubya himself was the first major step in that direction.  before him, presidents were expected to be at least halfway intelligent.  folksy and down-to-earth, but not stupid.  people understood that it is an important job and we should have standards for the people we choose for it.  even a relative airhead like reagan was at least well-spoken and quick-witted.  bush and clinton were not stupid. but then bush jr fed the idea that having a president who understands the job is less important than having one that average joes can relate to.  people bought it and voted for him.  and, sure enough, he spent 8 years talking like a dumbass and showing disastrously poor judgment.

• ksen

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #8214
https://www.vox.com/world/2017/10/19/16503050/trump-tweet-fbi-steele-dossier

Now Trump is claiming that FBI may have been the ones to pay for the Russian dossier.

As per usual, claiming the opposite of reality. As I understand it the totally "failing" NYT that is totally not failing reported, as have a number of others, not everything that is in in the dossier has been investigated but everything that *has* been investigated has turned out to be true so far. Some parts of it they won't be able to verify unless they interview Steele and he agrees to uncover his sources.

Trump is welcome to point to any one item and show "proof!" that it has ... uh ... been ... uhh ... :rofl:  riiiight.
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

Reply #8215
John Kelly, Trump's chief of staff whose son died in combat, defends president's call to Gold Star widow

The voice of reason.

Hard position to be put into. On one hand, you want to honor the memory of your son. On the other hand, you want to round up and deport latinos. Sometimes you have to put yourself second.

• linus
Reply #8216
He must also respect the prophesy that anyone who works with Trump becomes corrupted and loses all dignity.

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #8217
So is anyone else suspect like I do that Trump is doing everything he can to avoid talking about the mission in Niger that got those soldiers killed?

He didn't say anything about the event for almost two weeks, no Tweets, no public statements or bothering to contact the families until it became a PR issue. Which seems a little unusual for someone who talks smack all the time and boasts and struts about military action and whatnot. He's been asked about it and deflected to some other crap or kept moving without reacting to questions.

Then it came out that a white house press statement had been prepared by someone in the administration right after the incident occurred. That it was signed off on by his security council, apparently it had been shared with the pentagon and some others as well, and was then passed on to Trump who didn't sign off on its release and let the whole thing die. Someone, I forget who, tried to contact the main author of the statement who immediately hung up the phone when asked about it.

So far there's been no explanation at all about what happened in Niger whatsoever. Not even a general one, like, total radio silence. Which in this case is slightly more than unusual (to me) given that there's nothing in Niger that could make this about some massive need for secrecy. There's no action against nuclear installations or theft/destruction of high technology to keep covered up. Seriously, what the hell is in Niger that you have to keep 100% silent about any action there?

Of course I'm speculating, but it's starting to look like Trump was not happy that he didn't have anything to actually brag about after turning up the "blowhard" rhetoric to 11 for weeks with North Korea, boasting about "power and destruction like the world has never seen" and his smug cryptic "calm before the storm" statement (which I don't necessarily think is directly related). I suspect he was directly involved with ordering some operation that totally went to shit and got soldiers killed. That perhaps he personally chose the riskiest scenario of action or even went directly against his military advisors advice and ordered something that got people killed and he's been trying to behave as though the whole thing never happened until it became a PR shit storm.

Also, there's that amazing shitty thing where apparently he was talking to the father of some solider who got killed (not in Niger) and Trump offered on his own, out of the blue, to send the man a check for $25,000 dollars and never sent it until that became a public embarrassment.
  • Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 04:49:01 PM by Doobie Keebler
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

Reply #8218
Here's the explanation: He doesn't give a shit about it, and was hoping it would go away so people wouldn't annoy him about it.

• ToThePoint
  • search & destroy
Reply #8219
So is anyone else suspect like I do that Trump is doing everything he can to avoid talking about the mission in Niger that got those soldiers killed?

He didn't say anything about the event for almost two weeks, no Tweets, no public statements or bothering to contact the families until it became a PR issue. Which seems a little unusual for someone who talks smack all the time and boasts and struts about military action and whatnot. He's been asked about it and deflected to some other crap or kept moving without reacting to questions.

Then it came out that a white house press statement had been prepared by someone in the administration right after the incident occurred. That it was signed off on by his security council, apparently it had been shared with the pentagon and some others as well, and was then passed on to Trump who didn't sign off on its release and let the whole thing die. Someone, I forget who, tried to contact the main author of the statement who immediately hung up the phone when asked about it.

So far there's been no explanation at all about what happened in Niger whatsoever. Not even a general one, like, total radio silence. Which in this case is slightly more than unusual (to me) given that there's nothing in Niger that could make this about some massive need for secrecy. There's no action against nuclear installations or theft/destruction of high technology to keep covered up. Seriously, what the hell is in Niger that you have to keep 100% silent about any action there?

[.....]

Smells like oil and $$$ and Russian favors  August 2017:  http://tass.com/defense/959862

• Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 06:08:17 PM by ToThePoint
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

• MikeS
Reply #8220

[.....]

Smells like oil and $$$ and Russian favors  August 2017:  http://tass.com/defense/959862

Niger the country, not the river.

US is there since 2013 because the first (al-quida?) attacks in Mali that took over the top (Sahel) half of Mali and marched on the lower half forcing a French intervention.  Since then the French and US have been training and arming the defense forces of the Sahel region countries so that, at a minimum, they can defend themselves against radical militias like Boko Haram and Al-Quida.  The US role is supposedly non-combatent. 

ETA:  Haha, your edit took out the Niger Delta article.   :ohmy:

• el jefe
Reply #8221

Of course I'm speculating, but it's starting to look like Trump was not happy that he didn't have anything to actually brag about after turning up the "blowhard" rhetoric to 11 for weeks with North Korea, boasting about "power and destruction like the world has never seen" and his smug cryptic "calm before the storm" statement (which I don't necessarily think is directly related). I suspect he was directly involved with ordering some operation that totally went to shit and got soldiers killed. That perhaps he personally chose the riskiest scenario of action or even went directly against his military advisors advice and ordered something that got people killed and he's been trying to behave as though the whole thing never happened until it became a PR shit storm.

Also, there's that amazing shitty thing where apparently he was talking to the father of some solider who got killed (not in Niger) and Trump offered on his own, out of the blue, to send the man a check for $25,000 dollars and never sent it until that became a public embarrassment.
Trump as Master Troll fallacy.  potter's explanation is more likely.

• el jefe
Reply #8222
John Kelly, Trump's chief of staff whose son died in combat, defends president's call to Gold Star widow

The voice of reason.

Hard position to be put into. On one hand, you want to honor the memory of your son. On the other hand, you want to round up and deport latinos. Sometimes you have to put yourself second.
ironically, kelly's defense of trump better corroborates congresswoman wilson's version of the conversation.

one possibility they don't address there is that Wilson herself might have been paraphrasing to an extent.  however, I am comfortable assuming most or all of the distortion happened between the prepared statement and trump's mouth.

• el jefe
Reply #8224
yeah that was pretty funny