Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: The Internet Trust Test

Topic: The 'Missing Link' of Meteorology's Theory of Storms (Read 1602 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The 'Missing Link' of Meteorology's Theory of Storms
Reply #100
This is the trouble with trying to engage in discourse with Jim. There's no back and forward; he just posts some crap and then abuses every responder while linking to the same repeated crap. I predict you'll soon tire of it.

None of you have anything interesting to say.

Sorry,

Reply #101
:no: I first met him on Usenet at sci.anthropology.paleo nearly 20 years ago

Do I want to know what insanity he was spouting then? More of this "meteorologists are evil people lying about GCSE physics" or something that would make even Algis hesitate?
Apparently it was something called the "Capital Ape Hypothesis". I'm not sure of the details. It may or may not have included apes (other than H. sapiens sapiens) armed with 15" naval artillery.

Look for the Ecological Gatekeeper Hypothesis by Claudius Denk

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #102

Do I want to know what insanity he was spouting then? More of this "meteorologists are evil people lying about GCSE physics" or something that would make even Algis hesitate?
Apparently it was something called the "Capital Ape Hypothesis". I'm not sure of the details. It may or may not have included apes (other than H. sapiens sapiens) armed with 15" naval artillery.
So Claudius Denk is another of your aliases?

Ok, so are Capital Apes also Ecological Gatekeepers?
Truth is out of style

Reply #103

LOL  Don't get mad at me.  Why don't you google latent heat and see if you can find a meteorologist to explain it to you.

Latent heat is a loose term that has no precise definition, so nobody can ever refute it. 

Nobody can explain it.  There is no data.  Meteorologist use it to divert attention away from the incompetence in storm theory.

Since you believe in it you explain it.

It's not my responsibility to explain your imagination.

Get a clue.

Reply #104

I could be neither or both.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #105
LOL  Don't get mad at me.  Why don't you google latent heat and see if you can find a meteorologist to explain it to you.

Latent heat is a loose term that has no precise definition, so nobody can ever refute it.
fyp.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #106

But not only one? So you have to be both, or neither? Ok. So why can't you just be a Capital Ape? Is Capitalapeness a necessary precondition for Ecologicalgatekeeperness?
Truth is out of style

• MSG
Reply #107
I wish Makouli was still around to see this; only he can truly share my appreciation of the continuity of Jim's McGinnian performance art.

anthrosciguy also knew him but was more preoccupied with Algis, Verhaegen and Elaine Morgan (yes, she really did post on s.a.p. for quite a few years)
braying among the ruins

• MSG
Reply #108
go on Jimbo, bring back Ecological Gatekeeper; it'll be much more fun than this boring water vapour bullshit; at least you'd be posting about something unfalsifiable instead of crap that can be disproved by a high school experiment
braying among the ruins

• MSG
Reply #109

btw kudos to whoever is running this sock; bonus points if it actually is Makouli
braying among the ruins

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #110
Can you give us a brief summary?
Truth is out of style

• MSG
Reply #111
who, me or Jim?
braying among the ruins

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #112
Preferably you. I'd prefer it to be comprehensible.
Truth is out of style

• MSG
Reply #113
well that isn't actually possible, but here goes. the idea went something like that with dry seasons ("seasonal desiccation") the apes would fall back onto core habitat areas and fight off neighbouring clans and competing species; thereby creating a niche that favoured in-group cooperation, use of weapons bla bla bla it was never terribly coherent, as I said
braying among the ruins

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #114
Oh ok. Sounds bit iffy.
Truth is out of style

• MSG
Reply #115
you should hear it when Jim / Denk is explaining it
braying among the ruins

Reply #116

You got nothing!!!
i = 1
http://talkrational.org/index.php/topic,1027.msg71785.html#msg71785

Reply #117
Jim I read an explanation on wikipedia. I don't need a meteorologist to explain it. I know physicists. I even know physics teachers. Why would I not ask them instead?

You seem really very confused about this. Its a pity really.
Why do I bother?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #118
you should hear it when Jim / Denk is explaining it
So, Jimmy Boy has a couple of heroic alter-egos in which he can "save the world"? That is so good for the little boys that aren't great at sports or science or math or spelling and such. Especially if they suffer from tourette's.
Are we there yet?

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #119
None of you have anything interesting to say.
Well at least that is true.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• MikeS
Reply #120
Since there is no gaseous H2O in the atmosphere there is no transition between gas and liquid occurring in the atmosphere.
What are you smoking jim?  Please explain humidity then. 

Oh, in anticipation of your response, the fact that you believe the moisture in clear moist air is in the gaseous phase and not the liquid (vapor) phase is not evidence that it is.
jim,
you are confused.  The "vapor" phase IS the gaseous phase.  That's where the "heat of vaporization" term comes from in thermodynamics.

What is water vapor?
Water vapor is water in its gaseous state-instead of liquid or solid (ice). Water vapor is totally invisible. If you see a cloud, fog, or mist, these are all liquid water, not water vapor.

• CORed
Reply #121
Can we start here?

Your point?

You don't have a clue what anything on that phase diagram means, do you?

Reply #122
Can we start here?

Your point?

You don't have a clue what anything on that phase diagram means, do you?
no, he doesnt,  but he also already ran away.

• MikeS
Reply #123
Poor Jim didn't realize that arguing against a phase diagram was going to be a hilarious fail.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #124
It is only when forced to explain the assumptions underlying convection (which involves application of Avogadro's law) that they reluctantly reveal that they are assuming mono-molecular H2O (steam) in their models of convection. But if you attempt to get them to explain how they, supposedly, know that water can stay mono-molecular at temperatures below the boiling point of water, well, that's when the game playing begins.

https://youtu.be/oTKmWp7ek2A?t=34

Note that Mr Wizard (who can be a real asshole) is wrong when he tells Billy that Billy is wrong.  He is priceless.  In correcting Billy he explains that the "little tiny droplets of water" that Billy can see should be called "water vapor".  It's just too damn funny, because he is trying to school the kid, but he is telling him the wrong name, as well as explaining it wrong.

And this idiot was on TV educating children.

He doubles down and then explains that while steam is invisible, we can see the water vapor.

Too damn funny.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭