Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Graeco-Roman western linear reductionist systematized fragmented disconnected parts-oriented individualized culture.

Topic: Isaac Newton Was A Human Being (Read 2919 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Isaac Newton Was A Human Being
Reply #400

I care. You seem to be saying that latent heat of fusion isn't a thing.
And you say it is.  Where is the evidence? 
Well wikipedia lists figures for latent heat of various phase changes for various substances. Given that I could observe it happening as a child, it seems trivially easy to prove or disprove.
You seem to be saying that latent heat of vaporization isn't a thing. I have observed both things for myself as have most 12 year olds who took physics.

Okay.  Show me your data.

Are you saying this? Or are you agreeing that latent heat is a thing? Because if you think its not a thing then it should be trivially easy to demonstrate.

It's never been demonstrated. 

I'm not interested in disproving your imagination.

You are a vague nitwit.
That word, you keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means.

Do you know what data means?
Yes, yes I do. Go and look up Latent Heat tables. This stuff has bern measured. It is a standard part of physics. You claim it is not, the onus is on you to show that it is not. Buy a decent thermometer and a tub of napthalene, and show us it doesn't happen.

Why do you think you were unable to formulate an argumebt?

Much of science is design to placate the lowest common denominator of science consumer--many dumbasses just like yourself.

I just did formulate an argument. You're claiming latent heat doesn't exist. And yet you seem remarkably unwilling to repeat a trivially easy to do experiment that would show me to be wrong.

That's right.  I'm not going to make your argument for you.  Sorry.
You're the one claiming latent heat doesn't exist. The burden of proof is on you. Show that it doesn't exist.  We both agree it should be easy to do. Why haven't you done it as part of your "research" program?

It's not my job to explain your imagination.
We've explained our model, we are asking you to explain yours.

Where have you explained your model?
The temperature drop is explained by the heat of vaporization. It takes energy to move from liquid to gas.

Vague.  Speculative, 

I'm not interested.  Sorry.
Vague? It's the fundamental concept of what a gas is. A solid is a state of matter in which molecules are bound at a fixed distance and orientation. A liquid is one in which there is too much energy to maintain a fixed orientation, but the average distance between particles remains fixed. It takes energy to break those bonds, so the temperature drops. A gas is when the energy is high enough that those intermolecular forces aren't strong enough to hold molecules at fixed distances. Again, it takes energy to break those bonds.

Your point?
The point is that you apparently don't even understand what words mean.

Troll.

Reply #401
It's amusing how Jim wants to spam "You got nothing!" while being apparently incapable of supporting his own claims.
not even supporting. He's incapable of even stating what his claims are beyond the most basic "steam is a lie!"

He can't figure out what his claims would indicate for any type of systematic test, not even the most basic application of the ideal gas law.

Your education is not my responsibility.

Reply #402
It has been done. How do you think they created tables of latent heat if vaporisation and fusion?

I don't know.  Why don't you see if you can find any reproducible experimental procedures and data. 

What conclusion do you think you would/will come to in the (likely) event that you will find yourself unable to locate these purported experimental procedures and data?

He already has. I already have. I even did an evaporation experiment and reported on the results. 67.0 degree water was able to cool a 67.1 degree surface to 66.0 degrees.

Write it up.
I did write it down. It's literally the post you quoted. There was an observed drop in temperature as the water evaporated.

Yeah, so?  What do you think that proves? 

Why not start a new thread on the subject since it is off topic here.
It's a direct measurement of the heat used by the phase change.

So . . . what's your point?  This proves latent heat?  How so?

Reply #403

It would appear I can explain my model better than you can explain yours, assuming you vague nitwits have anything at all.

I've got the formula for your arguments right here:
i == random.randint(1, 5)
if i =1
print "You got nothing!"
else
if i = 2
print "Vague.  Speculative,"
else
if i = 3
print "It's not my job to explain your imagination."
else
if i=4
print "You nitwits can't make arguments."
else
if i=5
print "do you have a point?"

And yeah, I know that's like 3 different languages mixed. Probably why it gets stuck in loops at i=1.
  • Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 06:51:17 PM by [Serious]

Reply #404

Reply #405
It's amusing how Jim wants to spam "You got nothing!" while being apparently incapable of supporting his own claims.
not even supporting. He's incapable of even stating what his claims are beyond the most basic "steam is a lie!"

He can't figure out what his claims would indicate for any type of systematic test, not even the most basic application of the ideal gas law.

It is when you're trying to explain your theory to us.  It most certainly is if you want it to be taken seriously, and yet you can't explain why it doesn't agree with observations a child could make.
Why do I bother?

• Fenrir
Reply #406

Coolgardie safe

Welcome to the 19th century Jim.
It's what plants crave.

Reply #407

It is when you're trying to explain your theory to us.  It most certainly is if you want it to be taken seriously, and yet you can't explain why it doesn't agree with observations a child could make.

I don't want to explain it to you.  Sorry.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #408

I don't want to explain it to you.  Sorry.
:rofl:
:rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

"My theory is the most awesome theory ever!"

"Ok, so what is it?"

"Not telling."

:slowclap:
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #409
Jim's reaction to being asked to support his claims...

:badger:
Truth is out of style

• MikeB
Reply #410
You about have to be retarded to think you can capture steam in a plastic coke bottle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm3f1MfrWdM

Tell us how you know it's steam and not vapor, you fucking mental retard.
Uh, in technical terms, steam is vapor.  When steam or hot vapor escapes into the atmosphere, some of the vapor condenses into tiny droplets, which become visible and is what the lay person calls "steam". You can see your cup of coffee "steaming" but technically the escaping vapor has become "fog:"

• Peez
Reply #411
jimmcginn:
I am here to assist wayward science pilgrims on their journey.
There are no science pilgrims here, only us trolls.

Peez

Reply #412

Thank God for that.

YOUR education is your responsibility though, so you might want to get on that instead of demanding that we convince you of things.

Reply #413
You about have to be retarded to think you can capture steam in a plastic coke bottle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm3f1MfrWdM

Tell us how you know it's steam and not vapor, you fucking mental retard.
Uh, in technical terms, steam is vapor.  When steam or hot vapor escapes into the atmosphere, some of the vapor condenses into tiny droplets, which become visible and is what the lay person calls "steam". You can see your cup of coffee "steaming" but technically the escaping vapor has become "fog:"

Here's the trouble:
You are saying, as I was, "Jim doesn't seem to know what this word means, I'll explain it to him"
I've realized that we should be saying, "Jim doesn't seem to know what words mean in the more general sense. His goal seems to be to say words he thinks sound smart, regardless of any awareness of what those words mean or how they are used."

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #414

Thank God for that.

YOUR education is your responsibility though, so you might want to get on that instead of demanding that we convince you of things.
The thought of Jim being responsible for anyone's education is quite worrying. I do hope he doesn't have offspring.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #415

Here's the trouble:
You are saying, as I was, "Jim doesn't seem to know what this word means, I'll explain it to him"
I've realized that we should be saying, "Jim doesn't seem to know what words mean in the more general sense. His goal seems to be to say words he thinks sound smart, regardless of any awareness of what those words mean or how they are used."
Remarkably like Dave, in many ways.
Truth is out of style

Reply #416
It has been done. How do you think they created tables of latent heat if vaporisation and fusion?

I don't know.  Why don't you see if you can find any reproducible experimental procedures and data. 

What conclusion do you think you would/will come to in the (likely) event that you will find yourself unable to locate these purported experimental procedures and data?

He already has. I already have. I even did an evaporation experiment and reported on the results. 67.0 degree water was able to cool a 67.1 degree surface to 66.0 degrees.

Write it up.
I did write it down. It's literally the post you quoted. There was an observed drop in temperature as the water evaporated.

Yeah, so?  What do you think that proves? 

Why not start a new thread on the subject since it is off topic here.
It's a direct measurement of the heat used by the phase change.

So . . . what's your point?  This proves latent heat?  How so?
How does direct measurement of a thing prove that the thing you just measured exists? Jesus Christ you are embarrassing yourself.

• nesb
Reply #417
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Reply #418

Here's the trouble:
Remarkably like Dave, in many ways.
Nah, Jim is MUCH worse than Dave.

Dave is trying to DO something. When he does something and it objectively fails, he might not admit that, but he stops doing it and tries something else. His overall ideas are RETCONed to what he has decided to try next. No quantifiable benefit is assumed to have an obvious qualitative benefit with little interest in the kinds of careful measurement that would make such things quantitative. But he does at least try and make those qualitative assessments.

Jim is not trying to do anything. He seems to be openly hostile to the idea of actually trying things, explaining things, observing things or making any kind of predictions. It's entirely self aggrandizing performance art.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #419
Yes but Dave also likes to use words he thinks make him sound clever, without having any idea of how they should be used.
Truth is out of style

Reply #420
Yes but Dave also likes to use words he thinks make him sound clever, without having any idea of how they should be used.

But will usually explain how he's using words if pressed. Dave might assign a nonstandard meaning to a word (I recall him calling a rope between two trees a ridge beam back in the day), but Jim seems openly hostile to the idea that words have meanings in the general sense. If words have meanings, he could be wrong about those meanings. Instead, he treats words like magic spells. "Steam charts, hydrogen bonding, expelliarmus!"

Reply #421
I've come to the conclusion that Jim is basically an implementation of ELIZA written with a bag of dicks instead of a coding language.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #422
:rofl:
Truth is out of style

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
Reply #423
I've come to the conclusion that Jim is basically an implementation of ELIZA written with a bag of dicks instead of a coding language.
Tell me how you feel about that.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #424

That's the thing, Dave.  I don't think anybody knows the answer to this question.  My guess would be that they did some calculations. 

You might consider doing some reading on the history of meteorology.  You won't find any data on "latent heat."  But maybe you'll learn something about the way meteorologists sidestep these issues.

Good luck.

James McGinn / Solving Tornadoes

Why the fuck would I read meteorology books about a fucking physics subject? You know, the people who actually research states of matter and how things go from one to another? The people who I just linked to measuring it in fucking nitrogen?

Those people? Would that not be a more sensible place to go to to find answers on the subject?

Excellent.  I genuinely hope you will be able to put together an argument that convinces me that I am wrong about the non-existence of latent heat. 

Best Wishes,

Repeat the experiment I have linked to and show that it doesn't exist yourself.

The motto of the Royal Society is "Nullis in verba"., " Take nobody's word for it". Do the experiment yourself. You've been told how to measure latent heat. You've been told how to see for yourself that it exists. What are you so afraid of?

No time.  Start a new thread on this and I will consider participating.

Jimmy Boy has learned to badger. Yay!!
Are we there yet?