Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: SteveF posts sciencey things that no one reads before other sites copy him

Topic: 50 dead in Orlando terrorist attack (Read 1086 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 50 dead in Orlando terrorist attack
Reply #50
hey good news guys, my cousin who lives in orlando and wouldn't be caught dead near any gay person checked in safe on the facebook "check in safe" thing.

i know you're all super relieved just like i am
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Reply #51

Reply #52
It's fucked up how this is getting used by some folks as an excuse for islamaphobia. For instance, th1nker, beyond a shadow of a doubt you could construct a similar collage of tweets from Christians. Or any group of people you can imagine. Like, what point are you trying to make, exactly?

It's also interesting to me that a lot of folks leave out the fact that this attack was on a latinx night. Intersectionality matters. Race is also a factor here, and with that in mind, it's pretty fucked up to be using what is in part a racist (in addition to strongly homophobic) attack to endorse further racism.

Delete your account

Reply #53
:ohmy:

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #54
Shut up th1nk3r.

Otoh, Taygete, it seems unlikely that Mateen cared one way or another about the ethnicity of the people he murdered, and that is why it's not been discussed much.

More tragic is that it now looks like he was a self-hating gay Muslim man with a delusional father, who had been to Pulse many times over at least three years and was contacting men on various apps.

Reply #55
Shut up th1nk3r.

Otoh, Taygete, it seems unlikely that Mateen cared one way or another about the ethnicity of the people he murdered, and that is why it's not been discussed much.

More tragic is that it now looks like he was a self-hating gay Muslim man with a delusional father, who had been to Pulse many times over at least three years and was contacting men on various apps.

It seems that there are many variables as to what his actual motive was.  He told the police over the phone that it was because of the US bombing his home country....yet his aversion to homosexuality and the obvious inner struggle with his own sexuality....god god the dude needed help and his father was/is an absolute fucking prick.  I'm inclined to think that it was mostly a hate crime relating to his internalized homophobia.....but he still couldn't admit it to the end hence the ISIS claim.

I heard that he also considered doing this to Disneyland but cannot find anything to actually support that.
I'm your beautiful black pearl

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #56
Well he visited a Disney club or resort or something (not DisneyLand, that's California), and Disney location in Florida. They think he may have been casing it.

Also there was a racial motivation, he let some black people survive.  He told them that he had nothing against the blacks as they had suffered enough.

I've been watching way too much CNN this week.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #57

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #58
Well he visited a Disney club or resort or something (not DisneyLand, that's California), and Disney location in Florida. They think he may have been casing it.

Also there was a racial motivation, he let some black people survive.  He told them that he had nothing against the blacks as they had suffered enough.

I've been watching way too much CNN this week.

He killed lots of Black people.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/orlando-nightclub-shooting-victims-named/story?id=39799005

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #59
collateral damage

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #60
Shut up th1nk3r.

It seems that there are many variables as to what his actual motive was.  He told the police over the phone that it was because of the US bombing his home country....yet his aversion to homosexuality and the obvious inner struggle with his own sexuality....god god the dude needed help and his father was/is an absolute fucking prick.  I'm inclined to think that it was mostly a hate crime relating to his internalized homophobia.....but he still couldn't admit it to the end hence the ISIS claim.

I heard that he also considered doing this to Disneyland but cannot find anything to actually support that.
^ Basically, all this. I think the religion aspect played into it to a degree, since it's not uncommon for believers in several religions to be badly conflicted if they happen to be gay. There's no reason why Islam should be an exception to that. The main difference is that, at least at this point in history, the other major religions don't have a large group of adherents who glorify martyrdom. Put that together with his other problems and you have an ideal trigger for this shooting.
Truth is out of style

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #61

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #62

Reply #63
Wow.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #64

Reply #65
hey good news guys, my cousin who lives in orlando and wouldn't be caught dead near any gay person checked in safe on the facebook "check in safe" thing.

you should make some comment like "was this supposed to only be visible to your friends who know you're a regular in Pulse?"

Reply #66
i doubt she'd be able to hear me over the sound of her husband chanting MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

• Monad
Reply #67

you should make some comment like "was this supposed to only be visible to your friends who know you're a regular in Pulse?"

Really, do this.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #68
Audrey Zee Whitesides was banned from facebook for posting this.

Don't Fall For It

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #69
Facebook is terrible.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #70
What's Facebook?
Truth is out of style

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #71
Terrible, like I said. :awgee:

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #72
I never use the silly thing anyway. Less shit to worry about. :parrot:
Truth is out of style

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #73
Audrey Zee Whitesides was banned from facebook for posting this.

Funny, because the post (well, that same link) is still on her timeline showing it was posted on the 13th.
https://www.facebook.com/azwhitesides

Reply #74
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor