Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TR: This is why Jon has you on ignore.

Topic: The Fourth Estate (Read 2586 times) previous topic - next topic

• nesb
Re: The Fourth Estate
Reply #125
Although, I wouldn't be suprised if Facebook was as bad or worse.

Reply #126
It's not that I think you're wrong. It's that I think that looks a little dismissive what you wrote.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• nesb
Reply #127
True. I don't mean to be dismissive, or misanthropic, but when it comes to how people absorb and process information (including me), it's sometimes hard not to be.

Reply #128
I think that's the point of the findings of that research. We just like shortcuts.

• nesb
Reply #129
https://www.vox.com/2018/3/20/17144758/fox-news-ralph-peter-quits-trump-letter

A Fox News analyst quit in a scathing letter that accused the network of degenerating into "a mere propaganda machine for a destructive and ethically ruinous administration."

Retired Lt. Col. Ralph Peters, a strategic analyst for Fox News, said he was leaving the network and laid out his reasoning in a fiery letter to colleagues, obtained by BuzzFeed News.

"Today, I feel that Fox News is assaulting our constitutional order and the rule of law, while fostering corrosive and unjustified paranoia among viewers," Peters wrote. "Over my decade with Fox, I long was proud of the association. Now I am ashamed."

He went on:

["]In my view, Fox has degenerated from providing a legitimate and much-needed outlet for conservative voices to a mere propaganda machine for a destructive and ethically ruinous administration. When prime-time hosts -- who have never served our country in any capacity -- dismiss facts and empirical reality to launch profoundly dishonest assaults on the FBI, the Justice Department, the courts, the intelligence community (in which I served) and, not least, a model public servant and genuine war hero such as Robert Mueller -- all the while scaremongering with lurid warnings of "deep-state" machinations -- I cannot be part of the same organization, even at a remove. To me, Fox News is now wittingly harming our system of government for profit.["]

Peters continued in that vein before signing off: "As our president's favorite world leader would say, 'Das vidanya'" -- Russian for "goodbye."

• nesb
Reply #130
No points for thinking Fox just recently became garbage, but I'll take it.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #131
NYT continues to disappoint.

https://lawandcrime.com/exclusive/facebook-forces-nyt-to-quietly-delete-unflattering-reference-to-sheryl-sandberg-in-story-about-russian-trolls/

The Times' original story made reference to Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg-and mentioned her "consternation" at Stamos' efforts to shepherd the tech giant towards being more transparent about Russian trolls' electoral interference. Here's the original paragraph in question:

Mr. Stamos had been a strong advocate inside the company for investigation and disclosing Russian activity on Facebook, often to the consternation of other top executives, including Sheryl Sandberg, the social network's chief operating officer, according to the current and former employees, who asked not to be identified discussing internal matters.

This morning, however, readers noticed the sole reference to Sandberg's displeasure with Stamos' transparency efforts-viz. Russia in particular-was wiped clean off the ether. Now, Sandberg's name and the story's only reference to her alleged role in frustrating Stamos' attempts to highlight and root out Russian troll influence on the platform are gone because someone at the New York Times replaced the entire sentence.

• uncool
Reply #132
Why can't news sources have a goddamn history for edited articles already?

• uncool
Reply #133

Reply #134
lol wikileaks shitting on ProPublica for making government more transparent

I guess they don't even care about a pretense of not being shithead reactionaries at this point

Reply #135

Reply #136