Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational - guys do you really want to be a part of the socratic method with a retard acting as professor?

Topic: Thylacine in Queensland? (Read 1197 times) previous topic - next topic

• linus
Thylacine in Queensland?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Re: Thylacine in Queensland?
Reply #1
Yeah mebbe. I'm waiting to see what they turn up before I start getting excited. There have been oodles of thylacines all over the place for ages. Funnily enough they're always hard to get evidence for.

Oh and we have bunyips too.
Truth is out of style

• linus
Reply #2
From what I just read, they're supposed to like their bait alive and are afraid of human scent, so that does seem like a bit of a challenge.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #3
Bugger. Means babies are no good as bait. Still, plenty of other small critters you could use.
Truth is out of style

• linus
Reply #4
I mean humans would leave their scent when they prepare and maintain the trap. Or maybe that's what people who come up empty handed claim.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #5
Or maybe that's what people who come up empty handed claim.
:grin:
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #6
By the way, I think the study is probably worth doing, since people who know about thylacines are apparently convinced it's worth a go. I know bugger all about thylacines so am happy to take their word for it.

But it is a study to see if they can find evidence. Very few people are taking the continued existence of thylacines as a given.
Truth is out of style

• MSG
Reply #7
ffs thylacines have been exctint on the mainland for over 4,000 years and they aren't running wild in Queensland now
braying among the ruins

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #8
Bonzer. You tell 'em.

Quote from: MSG
Dear Professor Laurance,

ffs thylacines have been exctint on the mainland for over 4,000 years and they aren't running wild in Queensland now
  • Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 04:25:14 PM by osmanthus
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #9
Also tell the fuckers that night parrots have been extinct for a century. :parrot:
Truth is out of style

• MSG
Reply #10
thylacines didn't live in deserts, in spinifex clumps, in the middle of fucking nowhere, on the mainland, mate ::)
braying among the ruins

• MSG
Reply #11
nor were they fist-sized
braying among the ruins

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #12
:rofl: Yes, I know that. Cape York aint covered in spinifex.

I'll believe they have evidence of thylacines when I see it. It's not impossible, but it's defo a long shot. However, as the lead field researcher pointed out, the survey will still be worthwhile for what we can learn about other species in the area.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #13
It's probably just the result of a feral cat having buttsecks with a dingo.
Truth is out of style

Reply #14
 Need a smiley for that.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Faid
Reply #15
I remember reading stories about thylacine sightings in one of those books by A. Clarke in the 80s.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #16
I can remember when the coelacanth, extinct for 65 MILLION YEARS was found.  Anybody can just claim anything, and then later when somebody actually takes a picture, nobody really gives a shit.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #17
Except in this case, it would be really cool if they get a picture of an extinct Tasmanian tiger.  They are fucking cool as shit.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #18
You know in your heart it is true.
― Mark Twain 🔭

• Faid
Reply #19
OK, first video: Definitely not a thylacine, it has a furry tail. Second video: Could be a fox cub with mange on the tail. Looks quite canine-like. Still, if they feel they have enough to go with, a search would be cool.

Hell, I was all for that thorough sonar search of Loch Ness way back in the 90s (IIRC), even though I didn't seriously expect anything to come up. I thought it would at least put the subject to rest.

(It didn't)
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #20
are afraid of human scent
That's a good survival instinct.  Stay as far away from humans as possible.
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #21
  • Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:20:24 AM by F X
― Mark Twain 🔭

• Faid
Reply #22
I can remember when the coelacanth, extinct for 65 MILLION YEARS was found.  Anybody can just claim anything, and then later when somebody actually takes a picture, nobody really gives a shit.

what kind of a goofy-ass coelacanth is that

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #23
It's a hairless jewfish, not a real coelacanth
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #24
― Mark Twain 🔭