Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: Better smileys.

Topic: Thylacine in Queensland? (Read 1196 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Thylacine in Queensland?
Reply #25
the obvious but expensive solution to all this is eDNA.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #26
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #27
have you considered not posting

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #28
Show us how
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• Faid
Reply #29
Worst scenario, the research provides useful info on the prevalence of mange in Australian canines. Best scenario, thylacines!
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Faid
Reply #30
Show us how
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• MSG
Reply #31
This whole thing is a scam to get extra research money. Like I said, thylacines have been extinct on the Australian mainland for millennia, long before European settlement. They  disappeared after the arrival of the dingo about 4,000 years ago.
braying among the ruins

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #32
Even if they hadn't vanished from Australia, they soon would have met their fate when the white man showed up.

One of Australia's most fabled species, the Tasmanian tiger, also known as the thylacine, went extinct on the continent's mainland around 2000 years ago. A small population of thylacines persisted on Tasmania when Europeans arrived in Australia.

The species was rapidly viewed as a pest and a dangerous threat to livestock, though many of these claims were highly exaggerated. Over 2,000 bounties were paid by the government between 1888 to 1909 to eradicate the species. A sudden decline in the thylacine population was reported in the early 1900s, and the species was declared extinct in 1936.
https://theconversation.com/why-did-the-tasmanian-tiger-go-extinct-11324
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #33
 :parrot:
― Mark Twain 🔭

• Pingu
Reply #34
Except in this case, it would be really cool if they get a picture of an extinct Tasmanian tiger.  They are were fucking cool as shit.

tenses.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #35
pedant
:parrot:

― Mark Twain 🔭

• MSG
Reply #36
Odds that Tasmanian tigers are still alive are 1 in 1.6 trillion.

His team collected data on confirmed and unconfirmed sightings from 1900 onwards to model the likelihood of thylacines being extinct at different points in time. Their least optimistic scenario considered only the confirmed sightings, whereas the most optimistic factored in the unconfirmed sightings, too. The team's most optimistic estimate predicts that thylacines could have clung on in the wild only until the late 1950s. The probability that they are still alive in 2017 is 1 in 1.6 trillion, the modelling suggests.

braying among the ruins

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #37
TBH I think the main motivation for this study is to get better information on which species really are on Cape York, and in what numbers. The whole thylacine thing is incidental.
Truth is out of style

• MSG
Reply #38
no shit sherlock
braying among the ruins

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #39
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #40
It sure doesn't look like a fox

― Mark Twain 🔭

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #41
Odds that Tasmanian tigers are still alive are 1 in 1.6 trillion.

His team collected data on confirmed and unconfirmed sightings from 1900 onwards to model the likelihood of thylacines being extinct at different points in time. Their least optimistic scenario considered only the confirmed sightings, whereas the most optimistic factored in the unconfirmed sightings, too. The team's most optimistic estimate predicts that thylacines could have clung on in the wild only until the late 1950s. The probability that they are still alive in 2017 is 1 in 1.6 trillion, the modelling suggests.

NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #42
Coelacanths were thought to have become extinct in the Late Cretaceous, around 66 million years ago, but were rediscovered in 1938 off the coast of South Africa.
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #43
I can remember when the coelacanth, extinct for 65 MILLION YEARS was found.  Anybody can just claim anything, and then later when somebody actually takes a picture, nobody really gives a shit.

You can remember hearing about that in 1938?  Do you remember sitting around the radio and listening to FDR's fireside chats too?

• Faid
Reply #44
Derpiest coelacanth ever- No wait, we've been through that

• nesb
Reply #45
This whole thing is a scam to get extra research money. Like I said, thylacines have been extinct on the Australian mainland for millennia, long before European settlement. They  disappeared after the arrival of the dingo about 4,000 years ago.

You're protesting an awful lot. How many secret thylacines do you have stashed away?

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #46
MSG does spend a lot of time out in the boonies 'searching out mallee fowl and their nests.' So he says. :unsure:

• MSG
Reply #47
It's malleefowl,  grrrr
braying among the ruins

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #48
I notice you haven't denied the hidden thylacines theory. :unsure:

• MSG