Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: Wow.  TR's regrettable habit of pointing and laughing at newbies is positively welcoming in comparison with such barrages of faux-righteous anger.   (re A+)

Topic: only I can transcend the left/right political divide (Read 265 times) previous topic - next topic

• dinosaurs!
  • oppressed by the SJW gynostate

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
Re: only I can transcend the left/right political divide
Reply #1
I know it's unfounded, but when I hear about conservatives interests in science books, including criminology (makes sense), medicine (makes sense) and geophysics (????), and when they mention that one of the "science" books conservatives may go for is "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Darwinism and Intelligent Design" by Jonathan Wells, I can't help but wonder what their criteria is.

Just wondering if there's a bunch of flud geology in the list.
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

Reply #2
Dinosaurs are literally the worst

• uncool
Reply #3
I can't find it, but there's a quote out there about how astronauts are admired by both liberals and conservatives because they epitomize both the soldier and the scientist.

Reply #4
Even within subjects, liberals and conservatives read very different books. Among the biology books read by liberals was The Greatest Show on Earth: the evidence for evolution by Richard Dawkins, with conservatives opting more for The Politically Incorrect Guide to Darwinism and Intelligent Design by Jonathan Wells. In the field of astronomy, conservatives might go for God and the Astronomers by Robert Jastrow, with liberals favouring Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot.

"You could say that liberals were a bit more interested in science for its own sake. Conservatives seem somewhat more interested in science where there is a conservative political alignment," said Macy, whose study appears in Nature Human Behaviour.
Conservatives are just religious. Ok, maybe Dawkins has a point. I might need to re-read the god delusion.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #5
The geophysics connection is probably due to oil and gas exploration.

Reply #6
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Monad
Reply #7
I know it's unfounded, but when I hear about conservatives interests in science books, including criminology (makes sense), medicine (makes sense) and geophysics (????), and when they mention that one of the "science" books conservatives may go for is "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Darwinism and Intelligent Design" by Jonathan Wells, I can't help but wonder what their criteria is.

Just wondering if there's a bunch of flud geology in the list.

Sounds more like conservatives are interested in anti science. Article is dumb.

Reply #8
According to this study, conservatives are also interested in engineering, criminology, and technology in general.

With dinos specifically, this is probably more about people buying dino books for their kids than anything else. This is a blip in methodology more than it is a statement about nonpartisanship.

Reply #9
Are they looking at "books on dinosaurs" as a general category, or are they making distinctions. To pick an example from my generation, I can't see many parents buying copies of "The Hot-Blooded Dinosaurs" for their kids (although mine did...)
Why do I bother?

Reply #10

• linus
Reply #11

Reply #12
I remember Ronald The Ray-Gun was quite interested in Star Wars. Dat is good science, blowin' up goddamned Commies. [Well, their satellites and weapons anyway].
Believer in High Powers, and naturally, logarithms.
Pikkiwoki is the one true god.