Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: I hope you are happy, SteveF.

Topic: Safer airplanes must provide a “a positive economic cost benefit to society”.  (Read 55 times) previous topic - next topic

Safer airplanes must provide a “a positive economic cost benefit to society”.
This was a statement made by the FAA in response to a recommendation by the NTSB to require crashworthy cockpit voice/data recorders in all new mnufactured turbine aircraft.
So this...this right here is the libertarian free market at work, boys and girls.

I'm reading through some recent NTSB accident/incident reports, like I do in my downtime (doesn't everyone?) and I come across this sentence and my mind boggles...backs up, I read it about twelve more times, then I pound my head on the desk a few times until the feeling goes away......

Page 40, near the bottom.

This statement was made in 2012, and has been the FAA's position, apparently since at least 2003. 
This prompted me to look at the FAA's historical budgeting. Their budget appears to be pretty stedy (at least no major cuts that jump out), but there are some references to the changing nature of the public aviation sector that is driving up some costs for oversight (smaller aircraft with the same number or increasing passengers/year means more actual flights).

So this is the direction of the agency apparently for the last decade+ with no real change based on administrations.
Here's the fun paragraph:
Regarding  Safety Recommendations  A-13-12  and  -13,  on  August  1,  2013,  the  FAA  stated  that  it  had  responded  to  similar   safety  recommendations,   including   A-09-9  through  -11,  and  that  the  position   stated  in  its  last  two  letters  to  the  NTSB  regarding   those  recommendations   (dated February  15,  2011,  and  January  27,  2012)  had  not  changed.  The  FAA  repeated  that  it  did  not  intend  to  mandate  crash-resistant  flight   recording   systems  on  all   turbine-powered,   nonexperiment a l ,   nonrestricted-category  aircraft because (1) the rulemaking  environment  required  new regulations  to have "a positive  economic  cost-benefit  to  society";  (2)  the  FAA  could  not  "place  a  quantitative   benefit"  for  mandating   crash-resistant  flight   recording   system  equipage;   and  (3)  data  from  crash-resistant flight  recording systems were primarily  used for risk identification,  evidence-based decision-making,  enhanced training  scenarios, risk mitigation,  and remedial  action effectiveness.
Apparently this is an ongoing feud between the NTSB and the FAA. Good times. Let's just de-regulate it all!

Your safety comes down to whether or not it provides a net benefit to society. Good to know, eh?  :stareicide: