Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talkrational: To me it is above all an honest site: honest fun, honest kindness (a lot of it, once you start looking), honest anger, honest stupidity, honest lunacy, honest hostility, honest viciousness. Honest brawls and meltdowns. Altogether a remarkably interesting - if sometimes downright disturbing - bunch of people speaking their minds.

Topic: "Everyone Hates Neoliberals, So We Talked to Some" (Read 151 times) previous topic - next topic

• nesb
Re: "Everyone Hates Neoliberals, So We Talked to Some"
Reply #1
I'm a social democrat who believes in unrestricted global trade. The term "neoliberal", though, sounds ridiculous to me, since it's almost always a pejorative, applied semi-randomly.

Reply #2
good news, the term neoliberalism isn't actually meant to apply to you. privatization of state functions is a huge part of the neoliberal project. that's what so bizarre about the politics of these people calling themselves "neoliberal." like you'll have a guy saying, "yo communism doesn't work, the state can't provide for everyone, also i support free universal healthcare, education, and housing provided by the state."

Reply #3
tl;dr self-labeled "neoliberals" are mostly just social democrats that fetishize global trade and want to be edgy
Author needs to be subjected to foucault clockwork Orange style.
The way he understands it, in the United States, "the major weakness in the term 'neoliberal' is that it encompasses the majority of all sides in a political debate." In other words, it's become so broadly defined that it arguably describes both of the major political parties in America.
There is another interpretation for that. Although I guess I like social justice nods as we careen into the new feudalism as opposed to bigotry and public executions of poor's, blacks and gays.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #4
One of neoliberalism's more strident critics, Open Markets fellow at New America and former congressional staffer Matt Stoller, recently wrote that neoliberalism "involves moving power from public institutions to private institutions, and allowing governance to happen through concentrated financial power...

I think she could have ended the article right there. Neoliberals support traditional liberal goals but think that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is the way to achieve them.

Reply #5
"Neoliberal" doesn't even mean anything anymore.  It's like "passive aggressive," or "fake news."

Reply #6
nah.

Reply #7
Yaaaaaaaaah

Reply #8

Reply #9
One of neoliberalism's more strident critics, Open Markets fellow at New America and former congressional staffer Matt Stoller, recently wrote that neoliberalism "involves moving power from public institutions to private institutions, and allowing governance to happen through concentrated financial power...

I think she could have ended the article right there. Neoliberals support traditional liberal goals but think that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is the way to achieve them.
That does pretty much summarize the issue.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor