Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: it's as if at least two distinct groups of people who have diametrically opposed points of view with completely incompatible underlying assumptions are having an argument. Oh, and for added fun, everyone here seems to believe that everyone else is a disingenuous prick or a complete retard.

Topic: GoT showrunners have their next show lined up and it is, uh, spicy (Read 543 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: GoT showrunners have their next show lined up and it is, uh, spicy
Reply #50
ugh I dunno. premise makes me sick.

Reply #51
one of my big problems with shows like these is how they end up operating as a kind of ideological palliative. like if we can imagineer a gruesome enough alternate reality where the nazis won or the confederates won then the status quo looks super awesome by comparison. and the appeal of these shows is premised on the alternative being awful, it depends on a horrified fascination. MitHC makes this really explicit in that the characters get glimpses of a utopian world where the nazis lost... which makes our world a utopia by comparison, and implicitly the best of all possible worlds. with respect to this show, you don't really have to look much farther than the carceral system for what "modern slavery" in america looks like. but that has the moral fig leaf of discipline for crime, unlike the alternative that this show will present.

Reply #52
I'd like to see them take stuff that still happens today, and just put it in there, and make them important story points. Fictionalised versions of the murder of Trayvon Martin, police brutality that we see happen, and which nobody gets punished for, etc, etc. Obviously the excuse in this world for not doing anything about it is that the people are slaves, and therefore property. Which I would hope would lead the audience to think about why exactly the same lack of justice happens in our world where everything's supposed to be fine now because we elected a black president.
Why do I bother?

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #53
"Not the Gettysburg invasion, the other one!"
that's not even it. like i don't expect anyone but experts in the field to always be able to recall exact incidents. it's just that while "what if this one random thing went the other way and the whole outcome was different???" is kind of the foundational premise for all alternate history and so it's inescapable i still hate it because that is really, really rarely how shit works.

Heh, maybe you need to, heh, check out a certain Ashton Kutcher movie, you gross nerd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8_dgqfPXFg&t=6s

Reply #54
I'd like to see them take stuff that still happens today, and just put it in there, and make them important story points. Fictionalised versions of the murder of Trayvon Martin, police brutality that we see happen, and which nobody gets punished for, etc, etc. Obviously the excuse in this world for not doing anything about it is that the people are slaves, and therefore property. Which I would hope would lead the audience to think about why exactly the same lack of justice happens in our world where everything's supposed to be fine now because we elected a black president.
that was one of the most effective parts of MitHC to me. 1960s nazi america was not really super different day-to-day from white america's mythologized 1950s suburban golden age.

• Monad
Reply #55
ideologically, though, "they're part of the greater household family and in our care" is exactly how masters defended the institution. i don't think this was only a pretext offered in bad faith. it was another paradox that on one level they could think of themselves as the benevolent paterfamilia of both their flesh and blood relations and their dependent slaves (which of course weren't mutually exclusive) but on another level they treated the slaves as livestock. a show that takes a close look at that would be super interesting.

True - it's how they defended it one one level, while at the same time treating them and thinking of them as less than human. I suppose being a slave owning bastard involves a shitload of doublethink.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #56
Tbh, I'm squicked out by the concept no matter how it's being framed.

Reply #57
i'm morbidly curious, although that interview is making me a bit more hopeful

Reply #58

Reply #59
what if Jefferson hadn't been a massive fucking hack and had acquiesced to abolitionist arguments while writing the constitution?

Reply #60
civil war would have come early probably

eta: it was also kind of a group project so he'd have to get everyone else on board too

Reply #61
yah man, keeping Sally Hemings conveniently on hand for regular rapings whenever the mood took him had no part in T-Jeff's decision there.

Reply #62
um.

Reply #63
Lol

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #64

Reply #65
its u

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #66
Personally I've always liked the alternate history novels where the Americas were never colonised by Europeans, or killer diseases never took hold before Europeans even got a foothold. 

I don't remember ever seeing that trope explored in film.

Reply #67
I was actually just thinking that if they wanted to do a sprawling multicharcter mega-epic, why don't they just do Kim Stanley Robinson's "The Years of Rice and Salt". Which takes as its starting point "what if the Black Death wiped out 90% of the population of Europe, rather than just 1/3rd"?
Why do I bother?

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #68
10 books worth, woo! I may have to read them.

One of the simulations in Tad Williams Otherland (four books) is an advanced civilization in South America. I've wished he'd expanded on it a bit more, because it was interesting even as a brief exploration.

Reply #69

Reply #70
yeah you know what, i don't think i could pirate that show in good conscience

Reply #71
Search results for 'Second American Civil War' - Alternative History (http://althistory.wikia.com)
About 27,000 results for Second American Civil War from Alternative History