Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Don't be all aspie over this, because things like this go to shit when we let that happen.

Topic: Huge Diet Study Shows Carbs, Not Fats Are the Problem (Read 177 times) previous topic - next topic

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Huge Diet Study Shows Carbs, Not Fats Are the Problem
An enormous prospective study of food intake in adults, reported here, challenges several staunchly held beliefs about dietary components and their association with health risks: finding, for example that diets rich in fats, including saturated fats, don't increase mortality risk, but high-carbohydrate diets do.
And the study, called PURE (Prospective Urban Rural Epidemiology), also found that the benefits of fruits, vegetables, and legumes top out at just three to four total servings per day.

In sum, the results suggest that nutritional guidelines and conventional wisdom regarding these basic dietary elements may be seriously mistaken.
https://www.medpagetoday.com/meetingcoverage/esc/67566

The actual paper (paywalled, but you can read the abstract for free):
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32252-3/fulltext?elsca1=tlpr
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Re: Huge Diet Study Shows Carbs, Not Fats Are the Problem
Reply #1
fuck you, don't you take my pasta away

SPAGHETTI FOR LIFE

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #2
Am in solidarity with meep. Pasta is life.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #3
Why are they not stating the men/women composition of their study group?

Reply #4
You will be smited by his noodly appendage.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #5
Why are they not stating the men/women composition of their study group?
I got past the paywall and dug that up:
Males are a bit under-represented, for some reason:
overall: 41.7%
China: 41.7%
South Asia: 43.6%
Europe & N. America:  44.0%
S. America: 38.4%
Middle East: 42.9%
SE Asia:  43.1%
Africa: 31.9%
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #6
Thank you.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #7
You will be smited by his noodly appendage.
I take it your slightly ungrammatical choice of participles there was intentional.
As "smitten by his noodle appendage" conveys a slightly different connotation.  :wink:

• Monad
Reply #8
I thought we already knew this.

• Monad
Reply #9
Oh the peak veg bit is interesting though - personally I have tried to increase diversity of plant based sources over quantity.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #10
I think what's new is mainly the size of the study.
But I'm not so sure we *know* anything from this, or previous studies with similar conclusions.
They are correlational studies, with relatively large error bars, relatively subtle differences, and a whole lot of potential confounding variables left to be unconfounded. In particular, while fraction energy as carbohydrate was correlated with higher mortality and cardiovascular events, in the very same issue,
the PURE group reports that intakes of fruits, legumes, and raw vegetables (three major carbohydrate sources) were associated with lower mortality. This discrepancy suggests that processed carbohydrates, including added sugars and refined grains, are likely driving this association.
(paywalled) commentary in same issue

Reply #11
fuck you, don't you take my pasta away

SPAGHETTI FOR LIFE

All in moderation.

• Monad
Reply #12
I think what's new is mainly the size of the study.
But I'm not so sure we *know* anything from this, or previous studies with similar conclusions.
They are correlational studies, with relatively large error bars, relatively subtle differences, and a whole lot of potential confounding variables left to be unconfounded. In particular, while fraction energy as carbohydrate was correlated with higher mortality and cardiovascular events, in the very same issue,
the PURE group reports that intakes of fruits, legumes, and raw vegetables (three major carbohydrate sources) were associated with lower mortality. This discrepancy suggests that processed carbohydrates, including added sugars and refined grains, are likely driving this association.
(paywalled) commentary in same issue

Yeah but again there has long been a distinction drawn between processed and unprocessed carbs. So it's not all carbs = bad, processed carbs consumed within an unbalanced diet, not in moderation, and in the absence of mitigating factors like exercise, are more of the problem.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #13
Best dietary recommendation I ever heard was "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."
Truth is out of style