Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: A Republic of Glitter

Topic: Testy Explains the Layers Which Include the Tonto Group (Read 9217 times) previous topic - next topic

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Re: Testy Explains the Layers Which Include the Tonto Group
Reply #1325
As I recall, the AiG author that wrote that article was later vindicated.
Yup I recalled correctly ...

http://talkrational.org/archive/showthread.php?p=1276957#post1276957

:rofl:
:rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:no:

That thread reminded me of the "feet and inches are base 10" debacle. :rofl:
Truth is out of style

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
Reply #1326
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

Reply #1327
Feet and inches are base 10?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #1328
That's what you spent days arguing. Your argument at the time was that since we describe measurements by using our base 10 numerical system, that means the feet/inches system is base 10. You were adamant that the feet/inches system couldn't be base 12, and that people who were telling you it was base 12 were idiots.

It was fucking hilarious. Some of your greatest tard ever.

*waits for vehement denial that he ever said any such thing*
Truth is out of style

Reply #1329
That's what you spent days arguing. Your argument at the time was that since we describe measurements by using our base 10 numerical system, that means the feet/inches system is base 10. You were adamant that the feet/inches system couldn't be base 12, and that people who were telling you it was base 12 were idiots.

IIRC Dopey was also arguing for his "pyramid inch" standard to prove how special the Pyramids are.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #1330
Yep, it was one of his pyramid rants that started it. I'm dredging the swamp now to see if I can find it.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #1331
Truth is out of style

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #1332
This is fast shaping up to be a repository of Dopey's greatest hits. Keep them coming.
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #1333
Hey remember this gem? http://talkrational.org/archive/showthread.php?t=64873 :parrot:
O shit. I almost wet myself.
Quote from:  Dave Hawkins
Quote from:  Pingu

Sorry... I was moving fast and thought this was WorldNetDaily.
What you don't understand, Dave, is that what makes it massively implausible, whatever the source, isn't that scientists are saints, but that the incentives all work in the opposite direction.

The big incentives in science are in overturning stuff. If something like this really was kept secret by one lot of scientists (which is massively unlikely to start with, given the potential for fame), the incentive for someone else to blow the gaff is huge.

There are no prizes in science for supporting the status quo. Exactly the reverse.
Quote from:  Dave Hawkins
I don't buy this.
  • Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 04:08:42 PM by fredbear
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

Reply #1334

Ah now I remember.  It IS Base 10. Ever heard of 1A inches? Or 2B feet? THAT would be Base 12.

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #1335

Ah now I remember.  It IS Base 10. Ever heard of 1A inches? Or 2B feet? THAT would be Base 12.

o goody. A double serving of tard.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #1336

IIRC Dopey was also arguing for his "pyramid inch" standard to prove how special the Pyramids are.
Well, of course they're special, they survived Ye Bigge Olde Fludde. At least by one person's estimate.
Are we there yet?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #1337
Here we go, here we go, here we go! :cheer:  :cheer:  :cheer:  :cheer:

http://talkrational.org/archive/showthread.php?p=1268235#post1268235

Dave, the imperial measuring system is not in base 10.
Yes it is. The foot is divided by 12 and the yard by 36. But that doesn't mean it's base 12 and base 36. The BASE is 10.
Truth is out of style

Reply #1338
I suppose you guys never studied different number systems in school. The only reason I did was because of machine language computer programming.  We used Base 16.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #1339

Oh goody. Can we do this again? :rofl:
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #1340
I suppose you guys never studied different number systems in school. The only reason I did was because of machine language computer programming.  We used Base 16.
No shit? I've done hex coding too. It still doesn't mean feet and inches are base 10.
Truth is out of style

• Zombies!
  • These violent delights have violent ends.
Reply #1341
HRRRRGGGGG .  :lilcal: 
I really should call your department head and tell him or her how badly you are behaving while posing as a credentialed professional scientist.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #1342
Ok, this is where he first comes out with it: http://talkrational.org/archive/showthread.php?p=1267947#post1267947

OK, then. So .. never mind what I said about the Elizabethan Inch being CLOSE to the hypothetical pyramid inch. It's Identical !!!! Works for me. So it's more remarkable than I thought!!

And the metric system uses base ten. Yes. Doesn't the inch system also use base ten? And the cubit system as well? I thought you had to start talking computers before you left the base ten world. Heh. What do I know? So if the inch system uses some other base like base 12, then we do we count 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-A-B ? Look mom, my foot is B inches long!

21C happens to be the exact temp that gives the perfect hypothetical inch with the water cube system - 1.00106 IIRC.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #1343
Ten pages later...

Question for the A Team ...

Since you don't believe that the Imperial System is Base 10, then what base is it?

Base 12? Because there are 12 inches to the foot?
Base 36? Because there are 36 inches to the yard?
Base 8? Because the inch is divided into 8ths?
Base 16? Because the inch is divided into 16ths?

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
Truth is out of style

Reply #1344
No shit? I've done hex coding too. It still doesn't mean feet and inches are base 10.
I understand what you guys are trying to say. It's just that you're saying it the wrong way.  We obviously both agree that there are 12 inches in a foot and that's what you're talking about.   But if you are really using a base 12 number system you wouldn't say there are 12 inches in a foot. You would say there are 10 inches in a foot. Because 12 in Base 10 = 10 in Base 12. See?

Reply #1345

omg. I sometimes forget how ridiculous you can be. This is some serious tard here.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #1346
I understand what you guys are trying to say. It's just that you're saying it the wrong way.  We obviously both agree that there are 12 inches in a foot and that's what you're talking about.   But if you are really using a base 12 number system you wouldn't say there are 12 inches in a foot. You would say there are 10 inches in a foot. Because 12 in Base 10 = 10 in Base 12. See?
jesus christ. No
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #1347
 The digits in base 12 are...

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B

See?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #1348
I love the way you're providing evidence of your high speed mind running circles around us, like a headless chook with its arse on fire.
Truth is out of style

Reply #1349
I suppose when we divide inches up we're using hexadecimal because we divide them into 16ths

Lol